This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tickytocky5403

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hope all is well. I am wondering if you could please answer some questions about DAT/dental school app. Thank you so much!!

1. Should I start working on the dental school application now? Would it be okay if I submit the application without the DAT score, meaning do schools review the application before the DAT score is officially sent to them?

2. When is the latest I should apply to take the DAT if I plan on taking it in very early July? I want to apply in early July.

3. I attempted registering for the DAT, in one of the options, I can choose dental schools to send my DAT score to, would it be best if I select all since sending the score is free? If I don't like the score, can I choose not to send after the test?

I don't know many pre-dental students or dental students. I don't know who to ask. Thank you so much for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Yes, start working on your application now. You want everything to be done except your DAT scores. Your application will not be sent to the schools until it is 100% complete, so once you take the DAT, AADSAS will automatically upload your DAT scores and send off your applications.

2. You should apply to take the DAT as soon as possible. Seats fill up very quickly in the test centers, you don't want to have to travel to another city to take the DAT because there are no seats available.

3. I suggest choosing all the schools. If a school wants a copy of your DAT scores later it'll cost money, so just select them all now. Even if you don't like your scores, dental schools will see all previous attempts at the DAT on your application.

Reactions: 1 users
1. Yes, start working on your application now. You want everything to be done except your DAT scores. Your application will not be sent to the schools until it is 100% complete, so once you take the DAT, AADSAS will automatically upload your DAT scores and send off your applications.

2. You should apply to take the DAT as soon as possible. Seats fill up very quickly in the test centers, you don't want to have to travel to another city to take the DAT because there are no seats available.

3. I suggest choosing all the schools. If a school wants a copy of your DAT scores later it'll cost money, so just select them all now. Even if you don't like your scores, dental schools will see all previous attempts at the DAT on your application.
Thank you so much!!! This is sooo helpful!

Reactions: 1 user
Hope all is well. I need to make sure that I can be successful in dental school before putting my 100% into the application. I am wondering if you can please tell about about what dental school is like? Was the environment supportive in your dental school? What would a regular day of a dental school be like? What kind of classes do you take? I'm not sure if I am good operating on patients' teeth. I've shadowed dentists but it's not the same just standing there watching.

Are there a lot of lab classes when you were a dental student? I realize that I don't like labs, I think they are boring, dreadful, and sometimes even frustrating, especially when I don't know the rationales of doing procedures. Would this make me a unsuccessful dentist? Do most successful dentists enjoy their lab classes? Thank you so much for your help. Your suggestion/tip will be greatly appreciated.