DAT prep + shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys

im gonna graduate next may (fingers crossed) and get my bs in chem..
(i say fingers crossed cuz im in a accelerated program so if all goes well ill be out a year early)

so im taking some summer classes and gonna be working on my remainder classes from aug-may, should i start practicing for the dat soon? i also have
yet to really do some shadowing with dentist (apart for one i did for 3 days)

i have been busy with working in an ER so im hoping i can use that to some advantage, but i also am part of the pre-dent club at my school with a few other minor activites, other than that its work and school.

i want to get stellar dat scores and be a competitive candidate, how many hours of shadowing do you recommend and any pointers on starting it? (my own dentist doesnt count cuz he was the one i shadowed for 3 days and i wouldnt even call it that...)

love to hear some pointers/advice!
criticism welcomed as well :)

Members don't see this ad.

67 views and no replies? :(
some advice would be appreciated..

Well it seems that you are on track.

I'm a Sophomore, and plan on applying at the end of my Junior year (next Spring/Summer) so I'm in a similar situation, you could say. I'm starting to study for the DAT this summer, and also am continuing to shadow this Summer/Fall. I plan to take a couple practice DATs this Fall, then go for the real thing at the beginning of Spring (February?).

It would be wise to start preparing for the DAT this Summer/Fall, that way you're not stressed next Spring when everything is due. ALSO, start your Personal Statement, and make connections with Science professors so you can ask for Letters of Rec.

However, I would definitely work on your extracurriculars. That was my weak point, initially, then I joined a Professional Co-ed Fraternity, and pre-dental society (like you). BUT, not only did I join, I ran for positions. I am now the president of the fraternity, and currently running for treasurer of Predental Soc. Dental Schools like to see positions of leadership and heavy involvement.

I understand you are working (probably a lot ofhours), so that might counteract your "uninvolvement"...but I'm not sure how D.Schools view working situations. I work 30 hr weeks, and manage to do all this, so I know it's possible. :thumbup:

What schools are you looking to apply to? top-3?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and I would say at least 50-100 hrs of shadowing.

It depends on how much you enjoy it.

To get started, just look up some dentists' names in your area and see if you can get an idea of their personality, and how they run things. If you like what you see, then go into their office and ask the person up front if you could shadow a couple hours. Some dentists don't prefer having students there, so don't be offended if they turn you down.

Have fun.

well i live in cali and would like to stay here so im def applying to all the cali schools as well as some one the east coast.

my ideal schools are uop, ucla, ucsf (obviously the top3 :oops:)

the problem right now is that im in the middle of finishing 4 science pre-req\
(bio, chem2, phys, nutri)

at my cc i did all the general ed and took only 3 sci classes before transferring :eek: so now i need to finish all my sci pre-reqs/classes required for my bs (bio) before grad next year-so me and my counselor r debating whether i may need to stay 1 year +

so with this lefT:
ochem 1/2
genetics 1/2/3
plant bio
phys 20/21
+ research project

--> this would all have to be done by spring 2011

I would have to continue my uni classes + take cc classes for the lower div
AND practice for DAT AND shadow AND work AND extrracc??

i guess reality check is to take my time and do well the first time rather than go crazyy in chaos

unless there are some who think its possible?

any advice on how to plan my next year guys?:(

^bump.

guys i could use some feedback please. you will be doing me an imense favor

I am not exactly sure what your asking us or what you want us to tell you. I mean its hard to start talking about the DAT when you don't even have your basic pre-dents complete ya know?

Focus on your classes, strengthen that GPA, learn from those pre-dental courses as much as you can cause they are the backbone of your DAT review.