DAT READING COMPREHENSION HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gold Cherry

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I reallllllly am struggling with the Reading Comprehension section of the DAT. Took the test once before and scored less than 14 on the RC section, so please don't tell me the DAT RC is easier-mine was a lot harder. English isn't my first language and I am a slow reader. I was scoring 16-17 last time on BC tests. Now my test is scheduled for late May- I got crack the dat, DAT BC and will get topscore and qvault soon. I have been getting 29-32 out of 50 questions correct and scoring between 16-20 now. But I still feel very unprepared and really worried, last time i scored 21-22 on everything beside RC and QR.
Please please let me know if you were in a similar situation, or if you scored well how did you prepare for it. I am really slow and do not comprehend fast enough. I am open to all methods/recommendations/suggestions.... I just do not want section to be the reason I dont make it to dental school. I have a 3.8 gpa and have tons of shadowing and missions trips, and speak 3 languages..... but unfortunately schools told me I need at least 17+ on that section to get an interview...
Thank you very much everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you tell us a bit more about what your current technique on the RC section is? Do you use search and destroy or read the passage first? In practice, what types of questions are you having the most difficulty with?

Hello,
I reallllllly am struggling with the Reading Comprehension section of the DAT. Took the test once before and scored less than 14 on the RC section, so please don't tell me the DAT RC is easier-mine was a lot harder. English isn't my first language and I am a slow reader. I was scoring 16-17 last time on BC tests. Now my test is scheduled for late May- I got crack the dat, DAT BC and will get topscore and qvault soon. I have been getting 29-32 out of 50 questions correct and scoring between 16-20 now. But I still feel very unprepared and really worried, last time i scored 21-22 on everything beside RC and QR.
Please please let me know if you were in a similar situation, or if you scored well how did you prepare for it. I am really slow and do not comprehend fast enough. I am open to all methods/recommendations/suggestions.... I just do not want section to be the reason I dont make it to dental school. I have a 3.8 gpa and have tons of shadowing and missions trips, and speak 3 languages..... but unfortunately schools told me I need at least 17+ on that section to get an interview...
Thank you very much everyone.
I have worked with students many years where English was 2nd and even third language, without exceptions students were able to score high enough in the reading section by following what I have suggested many times on this Forum One problem I see is that you are using way too many resources, so just stick to one or 2. Using to many can cause confusion. But what will help you more than anything is just begin reading every day at least 30 minutes, to increase your speed and comprehension levels. Read what appeals to you, it can be a book, newspaper, you just need to get words in front of you and practice. You will get better over time, taking test, after test is going to do very little to help you. Just because you get a certain score on a timed test, doesn't mean you will get the same thing on the DAT.

You do seem very worried and I understand, but you have to relax, start reading and the rest will take care of itself.

Feel free to send me a message and I will be happy to discuss this with you further. You are a good, hard working student, it shows from you 3.8 GPA. And with with some daily reading and direction you will be able to get past this.

AppalachianDentalBoy wrote this in an earlier post, Start reading more books for fun too. I wasn't doing any actual reading and I think it would have helped.

Wishing you the best

Nancy

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user