• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

DAT score or GPA? Which one D.schools care about more?

Doa110

doa110
10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2008
  1. Pre-Dental
I was wondering if some one knows, whether dental schools care more about the DAT score or GPA? I am a non-trad student. I have an average GPA (3.0)and have a Masters degree. I have five years of experience as a certified dental assistant, but this attempt will be my third time during the past seven years. Last time I took the DAT in 2005 and my scores didn't change a bit from the time before that. I only used Kaplan book and barron's. Now..If I do 20 and above in my DAT (hopefully) this time, would they consider me?:oops: I appreciate your feedbacks.

Upvote 0

doc3232

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2008
  1. Dental Student
I was wondering if some one knows, whether dental schools care more about the DAT score or GPA? I am a non-trad student. I have an average GPA (3.0)and have a Masters degree. I have five years of experience as a certified dental assistant, but this attempt will be my third time during the past seven years. Last time I took the DAT in 2005 and my scores didn't change a bit from the time before that. I only used Kaplan book and barron's. Now..If I do 20 and above in my DAT (hopefully) this time, would they consider me?:oops: I appreciate your feedbacks.

It depends on a lot, but I think you need to kill the DAT and yes it would definitely make up for a low gpa.

GOOD LUCK

Upvote 0

jay47

Think Positively!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2007
  1. Dentist
I think the trend nowaday is that DAT>GPA.

I don't know, some schools seem to be a number game, but others seem to be more of an "all around applicant" type school. True, a phenomenal DAT score can make up for it, but course load, actual classes taken and relevance of those classes counts for a lot when applying. So if you were a business major and didn't take any sciences and had a 3.0, that would not be good.
But, if you were a science major and had taken lots of upper level courses, then you might have a shot. Try and do your best on the DAT (like 22 or better prolly) and you should be okay though.

Upvote 0
About the Ads

visbimmer79

Cornellian
10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2008
Seoul, Korea
  1. Dental Student
I think both should be at least above certain number and score!!

If I look carefully at people who were rejected, majority of them had one good GPA but not competitive DAT or not competitive GPA but competitive DAT score.

So, I analyzed which GPA and DAT score are likely to be rejected after interview...it looks like either DAT below 21 or GPA below 3.4. Majority had 19-20range...and 3.1-3.3range GPA, if those pools can represent the population....according to predent.com :eek:

Upvote 0

Shunwei

10+ Year Member
May 26, 2007
  1. Dentist
I think the trend nowaday is that DAT>GPA.

I think it varies by school. Some schools like Columbia or Pacific will be much more forgiving of a low GPA and focus more on the DAT, others will not, and while others will want both. As a general rule, I guess we can all agree that a high DAT is necessary for a low GPA, and vice versa. Of course, it helps to have both.

Upvote 0

golfer

I'm busy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
  1. Dentist
I think it varies by school. Some schools like Columbia or Pacific will be much more forgiving of a low GPA and focus more on the DAT, others will not, and while others will want both. As a general rule, I guess we can all agree that a high GPA is necessary for a low GPA, and vice versa. Of course, it helps to have both.
I think you meant "a high DAT is necessary for a low GPA and vice versa"
unless I am missing something...

Upvote 0
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.