DAT score or GPA? Which one D.schools care about more?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doa110

doa110
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if some one knows, whether dental schools care more about the DAT score or GPA? I am a non-trad student. I have an average GPA (3.0)and have a Masters degree. I have five years of experience as a certified dental assistant, but this attempt will be my third time during the past seven years. Last time I took the DAT in 2005 and my scores didn't change a bit from the time before that. I only used Kaplan book and barron's. Now..If I do 20 and above in my DAT (hopefully) this time, would they consider me?:oops: I appreciate your feedbacks.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if some one knows, whether dental schools care more about the DAT score or GPA? I am a non-trad student. I have an average GPA (3.0)and have a Masters degree. I have five years of experience as a certified dental assistant, but this attempt will be my third time during the past seven years. Last time I took the DAT in 2005 and my scores didn't change a bit from the time before that. I only used Kaplan book and barron's. Now..If I do 20 and above in my DAT (hopefully) this time, would they consider me?:oops: I appreciate your feedbacks.

It depends on a lot, but I think you need to kill the DAT and yes it would definitely make up for a low gpa.

GOOD LUCK

I think the trend nowaday is that DAT>GPA.

I don't know, some schools seem to be a number game, but others seem to be more of an "all around applicant" type school. True, a phenomenal DAT score can make up for it, but course load, actual classes taken and relevance of those classes counts for a lot when applying. So if you were a business major and didn't take any sciences and had a 3.0, that would not be good.
But, if you were a science major and had taken lots of upper level courses, then you might have a shot. Try and do your best on the DAT (like 22 or better prolly) and you should be okay though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think both should be at least above certain number and score!!

If I look carefully at people who were rejected, majority of them had one good GPA but not competitive DAT or not competitive GPA but competitive DAT score.

So, I analyzed which GPA and DAT score are likely to be rejected after interview...it looks like either DAT below 21 or GPA below 3.4. Majority had 19-20range...and 3.1-3.3range GPA, if those pools can represent the population....according to predent.com :eek:

I think the trend nowaday is that DAT>GPA.

I think it varies by school. Some schools like Columbia or Pacific will be much more forgiving of a low GPA and focus more on the DAT, others will not, and while others will want both. As a general rule, I guess we can all agree that a high DAT is necessary for a low GPA, and vice versa. Of course, it helps to have both.

I think it varies by school. Some schools like Columbia or Pacific will be much more forgiving of a low GPA and focus more on the DAT, others will not, and while others will want both. As a general rule, I guess we can all agree that a high GPA is necessary for a low GPA, and vice versa. Of course, it helps to have both.
I think you meant "a high DAT is necessary for a low GPA and vice versa"
unless I am missing something...

with my experience I think DAT is given more weight..I was told by admissions that I needed a DAT score that matched my high grades

with my experience I think DAT is given more weight..I was told by admissions that I needed a DAT score that matched my high grades

well, that just tells you that if someone has a 3.7+ and a low DAT score, then they simply didn't deserve it. IMO

well i have a 3.6 gpa and dat scores in the 18/19, i dont think thats low, its average. i think that deserves a shot, but what do i know im waitlisted.