DAT scores and GPA entering podiatry 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podden

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am going into my senior year and these are my stats....G.P.A. = 3.247 and DAT AA = 17....I have extracirricular activities as well as hours of shadowing a podiatrist. With podiatry schools trying to filter out the DAT as part of admissions...What would be my chances of getting into podiatry schools for the entering class 2010??

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,
I am going into my senior year and these are my stats....G.P.A. = 3.247 and DAT AA = 17....I have extracirricular activities as well as hours of shadowing a podiatrist. With podiatry schools trying to filter out the DAT as part of admissions...What would be my chances of getting into podiatry schools for the entering class 2010??

Barry will take the DAT but I am not sure about Temple (I heard NY will not take the dental test for the 09-10 cycle). If any places made certain exceptions with the DAT, they would need a great score (ie not 17, the national average). All in all, you may only have the choice of 2/9 schools if that's cool with you. You will get into Barry though, and if temple still takes it, you will most likely get in there too.

If you want more choices of schools, man up and take the MCAT. If you are happy with Barry and maybe Temple, then just apply.

thanks jewmongous....i appreciate your input...does anyone else have any thoughts about my stats??

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks jewmongous....i appreciate your input...does anyone else have any thoughts about my stats??

Your GPA should ok providing your it isn't like 2.8 science and 3.5 non-science. Like jewmongus said, take the MCAT. If you're planing on applying to schools like DMU or scholl you'll probably need a decent score (24-25) with your gpa. Also, get your app in early especially to the smaller schools and you'll be fine.

my #1 choice would be Temple..They say their average entrance DAT AA is 18 but mine is slightly lower than that...Are the stats they report to you when you call them over the phone accurate or do they try to make it seem more difficult to get into??...Also does anyone go to Barry or have anyone who goes there presently?? How does it rank among podiatry schools throughout the nation?

I just called Barry U and they said that there average G.P.A and DAT score were 2.9 and 19?????? respectively. I find that extremely hard to believe in terms of the DAT score. Does anyone have any information about DAT scores and podiatry schools?? I am getting mixed signals everywhere I ask.

I just called Barry U and they said that there average G.P.A and DAT score were 2.9 and 19?????? respectively. I find that extremely hard to believe in terms of the DAT score. Does anyone have any information about DAT scores and podiatry schools?? I am getting mixed signals everywhere I ask.

That average GPA is pathetic, yet the DAT is above average, kinda odd. The fact they still take the DAT is just ******ed.

That average GPA is pathetic, yet the DAT is above average, kinda odd. The fact they still take the DAT is just ******ed.
If you know anything about that DAT score though, really it is pretty average... And, yes, it is stupid that any pod school accepts DAT scores.

my #1 choice would be Temple..They say their average entrance DAT AA is 18 but mine is slightly lower than that...Are the stats they report to you when you call them over the phone accurate or do they try to make it seem more difficult to get into??...Also does anyone go to Barry or have anyone who goes there presently?? How does it rank among podiatry schools throughout the nation?

I'd be careful with what they say on the phone. I lost my patience with Temple last year when I was deciding on a school. They called me up and gave me a ridiculous average GPA for their incoming class that year (it was something like a 3.85) and I just told them if they can't be honest with me I'm not bothering. The school itself is fine though and that wasn't the only reason I didn't go there.

I'm a second year at Barry now. It is known for having an 'ok' first 2 years and an excellent 3rd and 4th (clinics). So far I am satisfied with my education and it has been very challenging.

Unfortunately, Barry still accepts the DAT. I wish they wouldn't as this really bothers me. However, the school has made several improvements over the years and I believe it is becoming one of the finer podiatry schools. We are also getting a brand new anatomy lab this year that the incoming Fall class will be the first to use. Also, Barry fills up fast and last year it was the first to fill up so you better apply early.

If you know anything about that DAT score though, really it is pretty average... And, yes, it is stupid that any pod school accepts DAT scores.

A 19 on your DAT is def not average....that is good enough to get you into many dental schools...why is it stupid that pod schools take DAT??.....they test the same core principles as the MCAT other than physics....it may not be as difficult but I've heard of people getting into pod schools with 18s as recent as this past year...I don't think that pride should be an issue in terms of accepting the DAT...which is no walk in the park to begin with...

A 19 on your DAT is def not average....that is good enough to get you into many dental schools...why is it stupid that pod schools take DAT??.....they test the same core principles as the MCAT other than physics....it may not be as difficult but I've heard of people getting into pod schools with 18s as recent as this past year...I don't think that pride should be an issue in terms of accepting the DAT...which is no walk in the park to begin with...

Why shouldn't we take the DAT? Last time I remember students we're going to PODIATRY school to become PODIATRISTS, NOT DENTISTS. Maybe I forgot that part of vision 2015 that said to have parity to MD and DO's we should take the DMD/DDS test. How silly of me! :thumbdown:

Get off da soapbox scrappy doo

Why shouldn't we take the DAT? Last time I remember students we're going to PODIATRY school to become PODIATRISTS, NOT DENTISTS. Maybe I forgot that part of vision 2015 that said to have parity to MD and DO's we should take the DMD/DDS test. How silly of me! :thumbdown:

Lol....does the MCAT really show how good of a podiatrist or medical doctor you will be?...Does the DAT really show that it'll turn you into a dentist??...no neither does either...they are both measuring sticks that do generally the same thing...and is getting a 20 on the MCAT so glamerous to get into schools that they shouldn't or can't accept the DAT because the MCAT scores are so competitive??

I dunno what the big deal is about taking the DAT....I took both...........I know for a fact that OCPM will accept a DAT of 20+ if u got a weak MCAT but good GPA (spoke w/ Dean), which is weird b/c a 20+ DAT will get u in 90% of D. Schools.....

I believe that the MCAT can be a unfair test anyway......I did mediocre on it, but I rocked the DAT...Doesn't matter if you're gonna be a dentist or podiatrist, they both test similar Bio/Chem/Ochem..(-Phys. obviously)......Contrary for what some people believe, the DAT is more than "regurgitation" of facts.....So according to my DAT vs. MCAT score, I'm more "competitive for D. school, than Pod. school?? (Outstanding vs. mediocre).....Will it make me less of a podiatrist bc of one stupid MCAT score??

Not accepting DAT scores is not gonna gain "parity" w/ MD/DO's......However, raising admission standards will... (>3.5 GPA's, MCAT >27 or DAT >19 is a good way to start though IMO)

ok....let the flaming begin.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Most commonly accepted DAT scores for podiatry schools is 16-20

It does make a lot more sense to take the MCAT over the DAT. However, given the costly/timely process required to apply for/take these exams someone who got a high DAT score should be able to use it given the current acceptance of it at several pod schools (whether the literature says it or not). Once they all make the switch to no DAT scores everything will work out just fine (hopefully sooner then later). For the time being it is what it is. In terms of comparability the DAT and MCAT are more similar then one might think. Someone scoring a 18/19/20 on the DAT stacks up much better then a 18 to 26 on the MCAT.

Scoring of the DAT can be confusing to most people. While a 30 is the maximum score... nobody scores it, and few score close to it. A score in the low 20's puts you in a very high percentile. Highly educated and well prepared students entering pod school are what is important... Not what test they took.

I got about 2.98 w/ 21/21/20 on DATs got into the 4 schools that accepted DATs. A few schools gave substantial scholarships, I ended up choosing AZPOD.

Your GPA should ok providing your it isn't like 2.8 science and 3.5 non-science. Like jewmongus said, take the MCAT. If you're planing on applying to schools like DMU or scholl you'll probably need a decent score (24-25) with your gpa. Also, get your app in early especially to the smaller schools and you'll be fine.

Not true, you can get it even with that

I have a cumulative gpa of 2.75 and MCAT score of 20. bio - 7, verbal - 7, and phyical sciences 6. I know my gpa is low (I am retaking a few courses and should bring it up to around a 3.0 by spring 2010) and MCAT score isnt that great but I have a decent amount of volunteering. what are my chances of getting into podiatry school for 2010 with my current gpa and MCAT?

you can say goodbye to dmu and azpod (i would guess scholl too)...apparently western took some scores like that so you got a chance. I'm pretty sure ohio let a monkey in cuz he had $100,000 in the bank to pay a couple years worth of tuition.

Apply to barry, NYCPM, Ohio, sam merritt, and western...you'll be fine

Western will not accept DAT scores. I think that they are the most pro-vision 2015 school out there. They are even considering us to take the USMLE.

From what I recall all schools were asked to only accept the MCAT a few years ago.

Last edited:
From what I recall all schools were asked to only accept the MCAT a few years ago.

That may be true, but there are atleast (4) schools that will accept it....Eventhough I know (2) of those schools are MCAT only, they'll still accept the DAT if it's a good enough score..(20+)...

I'd be careful with what they say on the phone. I lost my patience with Temple last year when I was deciding on a school. They called me up and gave me a ridiculous average GPA for their incoming class that year (it was something like a 3.85) and I just told them if they can't be honest with me I'm not bothering. The school itself is fine though and that wasn't the only reason I didn't go there.

I'm a second year at Barry now. It is known for having an 'ok' first 2 years and an excellent 3rd and 4th (clinics). So far I am satisfied with my education and it has been very challenging.

Unfortunately, Barry still accepts the DAT. I wish they wouldn't as this really bothers me. However, the school has made several improvements over the years and I believe it is becoming one of the finer podiatry schools. We are also getting a brand new anatomy lab this year that the incoming Fall class will be the first to use. Also, Barry fills up fast and last year it was the first to fill up so you better apply early.

How early is early?!?!? Barry is my first choice and I'm not quite done with letters of reqs and stuff.

there is a forum this week at DMU where they want first year input on taking a practice USMLE in 2010. I will be attending and voicing my opinion against it. I am more concerned with passing my own boards than the USMLE. Why take time away from my focus to study for stuff i haven't learned? Then, the people who take it and arent prepared for it and just show low scores, which certainly doesnt help the cause. It is a no win situation. Somewhat off topic, but oh well.

there is a forum this week at DMU where they want first year input on taking a practice USMLE in 2010. I will be attending and voicing my opinion against it. I am more concerned with passing my own boards than the USMLE. Why take time away from my focus to study for stuff i haven't learned? Then, the people who take it and arent prepared for it and just show low scores, which certainly doesnt help the cause. It is a no win situation. Somewhat off topic, but oh well.

It's just a practice test air bud; what can it hurt? Anyway, i have seen some questions from the USMLE and they are not as difficult as you may think.

Last edited:
But unless it's going to begin counting towards board certification and/or residency placement then why take it at all? I'm already a little concerned about Western possibly requiring students to take it. I have nothing against the test but as long as pods are utilizing the NBPME then the USMLE is completely useless and irrelevant.

It would be like somebody wanting to go to a medical school and taking the DAT...why would anyone do that :laugh:

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others too." J.F.K.

I don't know what the hell that means, but it sounded like a good response dtrack.

what do you mean what can it hurt? I laid it out clearly. I see two options.
1. Take time to study for sections of the USMLE that we don't cover in school and in turn neglect the necessary NBPME material, dont get as good of board scores and then risk not getting the desired residency. Congrats, you just scored well on a test that doesnt matter and not as well on one that does matter.

B. Focus on what you are supposed to be doing (ie becoming a podiatrist that takes the NBPME), do well, get the residency you want. Don't bother with the USMLE, but still take it, score poorly, and further the belief that Pod schools have students who are academically inferior to allopathic schools.

I don't care if it is practice or not, it will still be at the same time as pod boards, which are my priority.

Congrats, you just scored well on a test that doesnt matter and not as well on one that does matter.

Exactly.

You study to do well on the test that matters.

I would wager that if you took a high scoring USMLE individual and had them sit for the NBPME they would likely not score in a comparatively high percentile simply based the difference in content. And they wouldn't care, because it doesn't matter.

It also seems that the NBPME vs USMLE comparison may not be exactly apples to apples. Obviously I haven't taken either test, but it seems that with the early introduction to Podiatry specific principles and knowledge that happens during years 2 through 4, the NBPME is part medical licensing exam and part specialty certification.
Not in the sense that you are "board certified" after passing it, but in the sense that some material covered wouldn't be needed by a typical FP physician.

Could be way off with that analysis, made sense in my head when I started typing it. :laugh:

It would be a good response, but the reason we went to the moon was to prove our d***'s were bigger than the Russians' and Chinese. Probably the most expensive pissing contest in the history of such contests. But hey, old glory is on the moon and not some communist memorabilia and I'm cool with that :cool:

But unless it's going to begin counting towards board certification and/or residency placement then why take it at all? I'm already a little concerned about Western possibly requiring students to take it. I have nothing against the test but as long as pods are utilizing the NBPME then the USMLE is completely useless and irrelevant.

It would be like somebody wanting to go to a medical school and taking the DAT...why would anyone do that :laugh:

From what I've heard directly from our Dean is that the CPMA (California Podaitric Medical Association) is now accepting the USMLE for podiatric licensure within the state. The next step, he said, is for approval for podiatry students to take the USMLE.

what do you mean what can it hurt? I laid it out clearly. I see two options.
1. Take time to study for sections of the USMLE that we don't cover in school and in turn neglect the necessary NBPME material, dont get as good of board scores and then risk not getting the desired residency. Congrats, you just scored well on a test that doesnt matter and not as well on one that does matter.

B. Focus on what you are supposed to be doing (ie becoming a podiatrist that takes the NBPME), do well, get the residency you want. Don't bother with the USMLE, but still take it, score poorly, and further the belief that Pod schools have students who are academically inferior to allopathic schools.

I don't care if it is practice or not, it will still be at the same time as pod boards, which are my priority.

I've spoken to a couple of pod residents and they have expressed their support for the USMLE. I guess the NBPME doesn't have a focus on the F&A. According to one resident I spoke to, the NBPME only had like 4-5 lower extremity questions and pretty much tests the same material as the USMLE. I'm sure the upper classmen podiatry students and podiatry residents from DMU, AZPOD, and Scholl (since they take classes with MD/DO students) on this site can provide better firsthand info.

The forum is this thursday, I will report back what is discussed.

I've spoken to a couple of pod residents and they have expressed their support for the USMLE. I guess the NBPME doesn't have a focus on the F&A. According to one resident I spoke to, the NBPME only had like 4-5 lower extremity questions and pretty much tests the same material as the USMLE. I'm sure the upper classmen podiatry students and podiatry residents from DMU, AZPOD, and Scholl (since they take classes with MD/DO students) on this site can provide better firsthand info.

I would be interested to know more about the NBPME vs USMLE content wise as well.

I'm not opposed to taking either, as long as it leads to a license to practice. :thumbup:

17 on the DAT is not slightly lower than 18, its a huuuuuuggggggeeeee difference. Apply to Barry, apparently now they are a "good" school because they "started recording lectures" You have a tough shot anywhere else.

17 on the DAT is not slightly lower than 18, its a huuuuuuggggggeeeee difference. Apply to Barry, apparently now they are a "good" school because they "started recording lectures" You have a tough shot anywhere else.
:thumbdown:

Just out of curiosity!!!
I was under the impression that an 18 on the DAT was approximately equal to a 25-28 on the MCAT. How can a 17 be such a huge difference? This is a real question, no B.S..

I took the MCAT, so i am fair and impartial, and by the way, I don't think that it matters which test you take, so go easy on me.

Just out of curiosity!!!
I was under the impression that an 18 on the DAT was approximately equal to a 25-28 on the MCAT. How can a 17 be such a huge difference? This is a real question, no B.S..

I took the MCAT, so i am fair and impartial, and by the way, I don't think that it matters which test you take, so go easy on me.

18 on the DAT is about average...Also, an AA (academic average) between 17-19 is about average range for 44 of the 57 dental schools, with only 13/57 having an avg. AA of 20+.......

The difference between a 17 and 18 A.A can mean missing about ~5-6 more questions on the entire DAT...