Dat Scores....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CCDD12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone applied and been accepted w DAT scores instead of MCAT scores. If so, what were your stats? Also, I know that only half of the schools accept the DATSs

Members don't see this ad.

just take the MCAT and dont worry about it

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same boat...
Was gonna go to dental school, but decided against it...I was interested in podiatry also and will most likely apply fall 2008. Thoughts on chances anyone?
GPA 3.46
SciGPA 3.25
DAT: 19AA 19TS 19PA

I plan on taking MCAT, but I think my DAT scores should be fine for Temple, right?

I am in the same boat...
Was gonna go to dental school, but decided against it...I was interested in podiatry also and will most likely apply fall 2008. Thoughts on chances anyone?
GPA 3.46
SciGPA 3.25
DAT: 19AA 19TS 19PA

I plan on taking MCAT, but I think my DAT scores should be fine for Temple, right?

youll be accepted in a heartbeat. Anyone with a 3.0 or higher and 15+ DAT will get in with a scholarship. To this day i don't know anyone that has been rejected from any school.

youll be accepted in a heartbeat. Anyone with a 3.0 or higher and 15+ DAT will get in with a scholarship. To this day i don't know anyone that has been rejected from any school.

There have been people rejected from at least 1 school.

I as well do not know anyone who has applied to several schools and rejected from all of them.

I am sure there are people out there that have been rejected though.

But would you come on here and brag about it? There is a reason we do not know who the rejects are. They are not in our classes or in our profession.

I as well do not know anyone who has applied to several schools and rejected from all of them.

But would you come on here and brag about it? There is a reason we do not know who the rejects are. They are not in our classes or in our profession.

I was involved with the DMU interview process for a few years and saw quite a few rejections. I have a personal friend who REALLY wanted to go there. However, he was rejected two straight years. He is now at another school and doing well.

But yea Krab, I definitely wouldn't be on SDN telling everyone about it!

I was involved with the DMU interview process for a few years and saw quite a few rejections. I have a personal friend who REALLY wanted to go there. However, he was rejected two straight years. He is now at another school and doing well.

But yea Krab, I definitely wouldn't be on SDN telling everyone about it!

:thumbup: I second this comment.

There were several ppl on here last yr who were also turned down by AZPOD as well.

I heard Temple gets 400 applications, interviews 200 and accepts 75% of those interviewed as a rough estimate.

I don't know if that's true, so if anyone can support that or refute it let me know.

I heard Temple gets 400 applications, interviews 200 and accepts 75% of those interviewed as a rough estimate.

I don't know if that's true, so if anyone can support that or refute it let me know.

There may be 400-500 applicants for all 8 podiatry schools.

There may be 400-500 applicants for all 8 podiatry schools.

I believe that the total number of applicants will be around 800 this year. It is just under 800 last year. Each school recieves a percentage of those application. Generally, 400-500 is not unheard of the last two years. I would also guess that TUSPM accepts at least 75% of those students (opinion).

So I am supporting most of your stats, that last comment is just a guess.

don't forget out of that 300-400 possibly less apply to podiatry school as a backup and don't usually follow through to even go to interviews because dental, MD and DO are generally their first and second choices. I'm sure people will get rejected but it has to be a severe reason to get rejected possible below 2.5 gpa etc. or didn't have his forms completed or letter of rec or incomplete files etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
so should i be ok w a 3.42 overall, 3.21 Sc GPA and 17AA, 17TS, 17PAT ??

so should i be ok w a 3.42 overall, 3.21 Sc GPA and 17AA, 17TS, 17PAT ??

When are you applying? If you are applying this cycle, most schools are still accepting the DAT. And if I remember right, 17s are not that hot. If you are applying next cycle, you will probably be fine. The schools that will still be accepting the DAT have much lower entrance stats.

Hey
I was accepted to OCPM with my DAT score

I have a 3.3 overall gpa
3.1 science gpa
19 AA and 19 Science average as well as a 17 in perceptual ability
( I don't think they care about perceptual abillity as much)

You should be fine, just apply early ( if it's for next year). Take care

Hey
I was accepted to OCPM with my DAT score

I have a 3.3 overall gpa
3.1 science gpa
19 AA and 19 Science average as well as a 17 in perceptual ability
( I don't think they care about perceptual abillity as much)

You should be fine, just apply early ( if it's for next year). Take care

Again, if you want to be a dentist take the DAT. If you want to go to a medical school or podiatric medical school, take the MCAT.

You don't see any other health program taking any test available.

My recommendations

Personally, I wouldn't apply to any school that accepted the DAT other than a dental school. The MCAT should be standard.

But, if the schools you want to attend allow the DAT, TAKE it because other will.

But, if the schools you want to attend allow the DAT, TAKE it because other will.

I disagree. To me taking the DAT would affect my outlook on a school. It says we are desperate for students and we can't compete with the other schools.

I don't know how soon anything will happen, but there is talk at some of the schools that currently accept the DAT to stop doing it.

I'm sure that change won't happen in the next 2 years, but just to be safe, if you want to go to pod school, you should take the MCAT.

I don't know how soon anything will happen, but there is talk at some of the schools that currently accept the DAT to stop doing it.

I'm sure that change won't happen in the next 2 years, but just to be safe, if you want to go to pod school, you should take the MCAT.

Some are changing next year. So I agree. :beat:

I disagree. To me taking the DAT would affect my outlook on a school. It says we are desperate for students and we can't compete with the other schools.

In some cases I will have to agree with your statement. However, I was dead set on going into dental school, but after applying 2 times and only getting one interview I decided to pursue other options. So I started to shadow a podiatrist and I really enjoyed it. After really taking the time to shadow I decided to apply to podiatry school. I was relieved to find that some of the schools accept the DAT. I applied to OCPM, Temple, Scholl, DMU, AZPOD, and NYCPM. There are two reasons that I believe I did not get into dental school. I have a 2.98gpa, with a 17AA, 19TS, 20PAT DAT score. But what dental schools fail to see is that the last two years of my undergraduate my gpa is a 3.2 and for the last year I have been taking graduate courses and my gpa is a 3.8. Dental school claim to look at trends in gpa but they really don't.

I was offered interviews at NYCPM, OCPM, Temple, and Scholl. I interviewed with Scholl and decided to wait to interview anywhere else until I heard back. I was accepted to Scholl with my DAT scores only and I accepted the offer. I was turned down by AZPOD and DMU. I believe part of that is because of my gpa and because I don't have an MCAT score. But I disagree with what you said on schools that take the DAT as being desperate. From what I have read this may be true for NYCPM, Temple, or Barry (This is my personal opinion, I could be wrong). But I don't think that OCPM, and Scholl are desperate for students. Although the DAT and MCAT are different in certain aspects I believe that the scores you get from them can tell you the same thing about an applicant.

I would however tell anyone that is planning on applying to podiatry school to use the DAT if you've already taken it and the school will accept it. But if you haven't taken any test yet then I would recommend the MCAT only because it is true that most schools will not accept the DAT next year and I believe that the MCAT will allow more opportunities with more schools.

In some cases I will have to agree with your statement. However, I was dead set on going into dental school, but after applying 2 times and only getting one interview I decided to pursue other options. So I started to shadow a podiatrist and I really enjoyed it. After really taking the time to shadow I decided to apply to podiatry school. I was relieved to find that some of the schools accept the DAT. I applied to OCPM, Temple, Scholl, DMU, AZPOD, and NYCPM. There are two reasons that I believe I did not get into dental school. I have a 2.98gpa, with a 17AA, 19TS, 20PAT DAT score. But what dental schools fail to see is that the last two years of my undergraduate my gpa is a 3.2 and for the last year I have been taking graduate courses and my gpa is a 3.8. Dental school claim to look at trends in gpa but they really don't.

I was offered interviews at NYCPM, OCPM, Temple, and Scholl. I interviewed with Scholl and decided to wait to interview anywhere else until I heard back. I was accepted to Scholl with my DAT scores only and I accepted the offer. I was turned down by AZPOD and DMU. I believe part of that is because of my gpa and because I don't have an MCAT score. But I disagree with what you said on schools that take the DAT as being desperate. From what I have read this may be true for NYCPM, Temple, or Barry (This is my personal opinion, I could be wrong). But I don't think that OCPM, and Scholl are desperate for students. Although the DAT and MCAT are different in certain aspects I believe that the scores you get from them can tell you the same thing about an applicant.

I would however tell anyone that is planning on applying to podiatry school to use the DAT if you've already taken it and the school will accept it. But if you haven't taken any test yet then I would recommend the MCAT only because it is true that most schools will not accept the DAT next year and I believe that the MCAT will allow more opportunities with more schools.

I completely understand about changing your direction later in the process and wanting to get in w/o having to take another test. I don't blame any applicant for wanting to get in w/o taking the MCAT; heck the MCAT isn't a fun time.

My comments on desperation are more towards the future, all schools accepted the DAT up to this year. But starting next year is when there has been a big push to change. If 5-6 of the 8 schools change and only 2-3 linger, I would ask why. Is it b/c they can pick up dental students that change their mind? That to mean seems desperate b/c they are not competing w/ the other schools they are trying to give a back-door.

Wow!!! what similarities! I tried 2 years in a row, got one interview, no luck, shadowed a pod, applied to O and S CPM with DAT:20/20/20 GPA 3.3:hardy:

Wow!!! what similarities! I tried 2 years in a row, got one interview, no luck, shadowed a pod, applied to O and S CPM with DAT:20/20/20 GPA 3.3:hardy: oh and got in both