Dat Studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedDevil202013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
So I've been running into an issue while studying for the dat. I'm not remembering any of the material that I went over when I first started my studying. I just finished most of the material review (other than Bio) and I just started doing Destroyer Problems. The issue is, I just took my first Gen Chem bootcamp test and I got a 15 on it. That's horrifying to me. My exam is in 5 weeks and I am just not able to recall any of the info I studied for earlier (like 4 weeks ago). I don't know what to do I have 4 folders full of notes but I just can't remember anything. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you go over your notes? Coz you need to do that before doing tests or destroyer.

Hey all,
So I've been running into an issue while studying for the dat. I'm not remembering any of the material that I went over when I first started my studying. I just finished most of the material review (other than Bio) and I just started doing Destroyer Problems. The issue is, I just took my first Gen Chem bootcamp test and I got a 15 on it. That's horrifying to me. My exam is in 5 weeks and I am just not able to recall any of the info I studied for earlier (like 4 weeks ago). I don't know what to do I have 4 folders full of notes but I just can't remember anything. Any advice?

You have what's called "Freak out syndrome". Many of us experience this after doing bootcamp, DAT destroyer problems etc. It's totally normal if it's your first time running through it. Read the answers like it's your bible and your life depended on it. Try to understand why the answer was chosen and what the question is asking. What I did for GC was to identify the "TOPIC" (it may be a few), and review my binder full of notes. Make clear notes, add onto them like "this concept was seen in dat destroyer q #104" and i would review that later in the week.

Some questions may take a few weeks to really absorb it, but that's just cause I'm a slow learner lol. but also consistent review of materials is key to success, no more than 3 days apart

Start reviewing the notes from the very beginning to improve your recall. The primary purpose of notes is (at least in my opinion) to condense the material you need to learn to allow for efficient repetition in your memory. The process of taking them alone doesn't really do much by itself. Go over them repeatedly until you feel more confident in the recall of the info, then start testing your knowledge with practice questions.

Also, when you encounter questions that test concepts you didn't cover in your notes (or maybe got wrong because your notes weren't solid enough in that area), modify them to add new material and strengthen the holes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely follow what Feralis said and start going over your notes. Repetition tends to be key with notes. The other thing too is are you at least noticing key words? I don't like plants because they are stupid and don't follow rules, but after doing my review I recognized certain words that helped my recall like angiosperm and saprophyte. While I didn't know what they meant the first time using them by going over my notes a few more times I was able to recall much better. The knowledge is there you just need to dust it off a little.

Hi all, I am studying for the DAT this summer and wanted some of your opinions on the resources I will be using.

PAT – BOOT CAMP

Gen Chem – Chad’s Video, Boot camp practice, use MCAT books i already have to go over some concepts

Biology- Cliffs notes 3rd/4th - Boot Camp Practice and Videos

Reading Comprehension - read articles for practice, and Bootcamp.

does this seem like too little? should i purchase a prep book? please let me know. thank you

One thing right off the bat is that I would avoid Cliffs 4th edition for bio. They changed a lot of the content because the AP exam changed.

One thing right off the bat is that I would avoid Cliffs 4th edition for bio. They changed a lot of the content because the AP exam changed.

Yea, definitely stick to the 3rd edition for Cliff's - I believe animal diversity and maybe plants are missing from the 4th edition, so it's less useful for the DAT.

Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions about DAT day and PAT. It would be great if you kindly help me.
I have started preparing for PAT about 15 days ago with DAT BOOTCAMP generator and I feel like I am not good at that especially in angle ranking and pattern folding (other sections are also not so good). According your experience, how long does it take to get good in these sectiona?

A few days back, I invented a method for angle ranking that needs to touch the computer screen. Is it even possible to touch the screen during Dat exam?

And also I saw in some pages in this forum that Prometric Test Center will either provide you with scratch paper with pencils or a white board with markers. Is it also possible to get more papers from them?

I am so worried because I do not want to lose the coming cycle of university applications but on the other hand I am not good in PAT :(. What is your point of view on this? When is the best time to take DAT with my situation? sorry for asking a lot of questions.

Thanks a lot in advance for the help!

Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions about DAT day and PAT. It would be great if you kindly help me.
I have started preparing for PAT about 15 days ago with DAT BOOTCAMP generator and I feel like I am not good at that especially in angle ranking and pattern folding (other sections are also not so good). According your experience, how long does it take to get good in these sectiona?

A few days back, I invented a method for angle ranking that needs to touch the computer screen. Is it even possible to touch the screen during Dat exam?

And also I saw in some pages in this forum that Prometric Test Center will either provide you with scratch paper with pencils or a white board with markers. Is it also possible to get more papers from them?

I am so worried because I do not want to lose the coming cycle of university applications but on the other hand I am not good in PAT :(. What is your point of view on this? When is the best time to take DAT with my situation? sorry for asking a lot of questions.

Thanks a lot in advance for the help!
As I am still working on PAT myself I cannot say how long it takes to get good at each section but I can tell you that you cannot hold your hands up to the screen in any way. You are given 2 sheets of laminated paper and a marker and if you want more you need to raise your hand and they bring you more (depending on the person working there and how busy this can take time so plan accordingly).

Reactions: 1 user
I've done 5 questions from each section every morning and 15 questions of angle ranking (my worst section.) I do a BC PAT practice test every Saturday. My scores are as follows 20, 20, 22. Maybe try it out? Seems to be working for me. I also switched on my last time and went right to question 31 instead of starting at the beginning. I was having difficulty with time my first two runs through and the last time I was done 4-5 minutes early.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,

You have plenty of time so dont worry! Focus on content review by goong back and looking over your notes. I think mentality is very important as well, so try to keep up a positive attitude. Lastly, if you are very worried and your close to your exam date, move it back. Score is most important dont rush the exam

As I am still working on PAT myself I cannot say how long it takes to get good at each section but I can tell you that you cannot hold your hands up to the screen in any way. You are given 2 sheets of laminated paper and a marker and if you want more you need to raise your hand and they bring you more (depending on the person working there and how busy this can take time so plan accordingly).[/QUOTEt
Thanks for reply