DAT TS / AA/ PAT? Relative importance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SanGoon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, guys. Long time lurker on sdn. I appreciate your contributions to the community!

Quick question:

How much do dental schools weigh TS and PAT compared to AA? Obviously AA is more important, but I
scored few points higher on TS than AA, so i was wondering. The math section brought my score down. Also what of PAT in relations to other averages?

Thanks for your replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hmmmm, yes like you said, AA is the most important. If I were to rank it: AA > TS > PAT > RC

A high TS validates your stats especially if you have a low sGPA from a competitive undergrad. Almost all schools care less about QR although like you said, a low QR does deflate your AA.

My opinion is that as more and more students start acing the DAT, especially the AA and PAT, more schools are starting to look at RC because they want candidates with good English fluency and critical thinking skills.

Lol how does a 3 passage test with a huge time pressure show you have critical skills? i think these standardized tests are kinda messed up

Lol how does a 3 passage test with a huge time pressure show you have critical skills? i think these standardized tests are kinda messed up
It shows you can break down large bits of information quickly. That's a critical skill in my book.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I can break information that I'm familiar with very quickly. What happens if you get something you don't know anything about? ;) And someone else who get passages that they are familiar with does better because they simply know more about the subject? I think a test like this can be a "good" (at most!!) indicator of someone's critical skills...I ..just don't think it's the best. Haha honestly I like the reading section I don't think it's the hardest on the test as long as you generally read...books and articles. Someone who reads A LOT can probably easily get 25 +

Yeah I can break information that I'm familiar with very quickly. What happens if you get something you don't know anything about? ;) And someone else who get passages that they are familiar with does better because they simply know more about the subject? I think a test like this can be a "good" (at most!!) indicator of someone's critical skills...I ..just don't think it's the best. Haha honestly I like the reading section I don't think it's the hardest on the test as long as you generally read...books and articles. Someone who reads A LOT can probably easily get 25 +
Hey that's what I did!

But really, what you're saying can apply to all other sections as well. It's possible someone would be 99.9% prepared for OC and then miss every question because there's such a large potential bank of questions. Standardized tests aren't perfect for sure, but for now there isn't a better option to get an objective and somewhat standardized view of all applicants.

Lol how does a 3 passage test with a huge time pressure show you have critical skills?
It shows you can work well under pressure. That's about it. Also, AA>TS>RC>PAT>QR.

Wow I didn't know RC was somehow more important than PAT. That's interesting and good I suppose. I'm kinda scared for the section. It can be fun though

Wow I didn't know RC was somehow more important than PAT. That's interesting and good I suppose. I'm kinda scared for the section. It can be fun though
More and more schools are looking at it being important due to the volume of work you'll be doing in school. It's an indicator of your ability to sort through scientific jargon and pick out the important bits. That skill can't really be taught (more or less), but you'll be taught everything you need to know about spatial relationships in school (reading radiographs is what comes to mind). Some schools like high PAT scores, but as long as you're above an 18 or so it's no big deal. The same can't be said for RC.

Reactions: 1 users
It shows you can break down large bits of information quickly. That's a critical skill in my book.
Sometimes I feel like an idiot mentioning something I believe to be true and someone trying to question me as if I was a dumbarse. Thanks for vouching for me.

More and more schools are looking at it being important due to the volume of work you'll be doing in school. It's an indicator of your ability to sort through scientific jargon and pick out the important bits. That skill can't really be taught (more or less), but you'll be taught everything you need to know about spatial relationships in school (reading radiographs is what comes to mind). Some schools like high PAT scores, but as long as you're above an 18 or so it's no big deal. The same can't be said for RC.
Lol i'm just hoping my PAT doesn't kill me xD. I agree with the rankings for the most part. AA>TS>RC>PAT>QR (this makes me so sad) I would think.