DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT this week and I am a little confused on what the percentile score is representing. Is it a comparison to what others have done on this same test? Or is it a comparison to what others have done on the previous cycle of tests? Also, I am wondering how much weight the DAT scores carry as compared with your overall GPA. I am a non-traditional applicant being that I have been out of school for 8 years. I majored in Biology and my GPA was fair for the most part. I had a couple off semesters that brought my overall GPA and Science GPA down to about a 3.1. I feel my DAT scores are solid and I am hoping that they will help balance an average GPA. I scored 21's accross the board with a 20 on the perceptual part. How do you think this will look to the application committee?

Members don't see this ad.

Your dat is good but your gpa is low. You may get into a middle to low tier school but competition is tough so do what you can to make your gpa look better. Good luck and if any more ? let me know

Your DAT scores are right on, but as mentioned above, your GPA is relatively low. A high DAT score will definitely help to offset your GPA, but to stay competitive; you'll have to do something about it. All BS aside, if you're a run-of-the-mill whiteboy like me, your GPA needs to improve. Though, if you're not looking at a top 10 school, then you "might" be ok, depending on the rest of the package. Regarding your question about the DAT percentiles, if you're in the 99% range, that means that out of all the people that took that exam, you're the 1% that received that particular score. Now, this was how is was when I took the test (the last written exam), so I can't say for sure how it is for the computerized version...but I would say its the same. I hope this helps. Good luck.

p.s.- don't get took caught up in the academics, their not everything. Admissions committees look at you as a whole, and not at just your scores.

------------------
Your talent is God's gift to you.
What you do with it is your gift back to God.
--Leo Buscaglia