DATdestroyer math question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csulapredental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
thers a problem about a lamp post and a man standing under it and it asks how much taller the lamp post is

the lamp is like 14 ft and 6 inches
and the guy is like 5 feet 9 inches..

instead of directly subtracting they convert 14 ft and 6 inches into 13 feet and 18 inches..

i have no idea why they are converting it to the same units like what is the point I'm confused. this may sound dumb but if anyone has any idea what the poiint of that is and how they are even converting this plz tell me its pissing me off

Members don't see this ad.

thers a problem about a lamp post and a man standing under it and it asks how much taller the lamp post is

instead of directly subtracting they convert 14 ft and 6 inches into 13 feet and 18 inches..

i have no idea why they are converting it to the same units like what is the point I'm confused. this may sound dumb but if anyone has any idea what the poiint of that is and how they are even converting this plz tell me its pissing me off
Probably just so you don't have to subtract 9 inches from 6 inches and possibly make a careless mistake when applying that to your total. Just do whatever is easiest for you.

Reactions: 1 user

the problem comes down to :

14ft 6in - 5ft 9in
since you can't subtract 9 from 6 you borrow 1ft from 14ft and you are left with 13f. now 1 ft = 12 in. 12in+6in = 18in
the problem reduces to: 13ft 18in - 5ft 9in = 8ft 9 in

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user