David Newman allegations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh, grasshopper.

Thank you for thoughts, they tender shoot of new grass, in time rain and sun will make you strong bamboo, but meantime, listen careful little insect.

First though. Newman filthy masturbator on patient, he shame self, he shame EM specialty, he shame all doctor everywhere! Right thing for you Newman is put sword in gut and twist, die like dog on floor but save family from 10 generation of dishonor.

But for story from night long ago, I give you hairy barbarian with the funny eyes.

Thank you Mr. Miagi.

Kid, this is how it works, I know this is an EM forum, and this might count as a thread hijack to some degree but I still think there is at least a tangential relationship between David’s crimes and the way he behaved in the ER all those years ago.

With regard to that case and trauma in general, it’s all algorithms. You know the algorithm and you follow the algorithm. You got a guy with holes in him, you count the holes, you could care less who made them or what made them or if they are entrance or exit wounds. At that moment in the story, and in most penetrating trauma, the only real decision is go to the OR or not. Clock is ticking. If a vessel is rent then blood is bleeding. If you sit there and look at 80/40 come up twice on the screen and didn’t make your move then maybe you’re going to be standing in front of an audience next week hearing the chief of surgery ask the dreaded question is his soft southern accent:

“Dr X did that patient sleep with your wife?”

you will reply “No, sir”

and he will say “Then why did you kill him?

So you gonna stand there? You gonna look at that monitor and say gee, that 80/40 might be the opiate, but it also might be his splenic vein, I’ll just wait for another reading, then another one, then you say go, and then he arrests in the elevator.

And yes, it can only be the surgeon present who can say go, because it’s he or she who will, at that moment, accept the full responsibility of all that comes next. It’s sort of a big deal to open a person up, try it sometime and you’ll see. As such it is a responsibility that can never be pushed onto a person but which must be assumed by the one who will bear all of its attendant burdens. So yes, I know that this isn’t going to go over very well on an EM internet forum, sorry to have to articulate this thing that is usually left unspoken, but you should know early on that when there is an actual emergency the presence of EM staff at a trauma is about as helpful as a scale when you are trying to measure the length of a board. After a while all EM staff realize this, they are happy for it, and things work fine.

Unfortunately, at that point in his career Newman hadn’t gotten the memo. In those days he probably was watching Goose do his thing and thought he was ready to do a crany at the bedside. He was an Emergency doctor and this was a real genuine emergency! Every other ER guy I’ve ever known, even the young ones, would have said “sure, whatever” that night in that setting, but not David. He was different. He wanted power, the same way he wanted power as he sought to change the conversation in medicine through his writing and lectures, the same way he wanted power as he stood over that poor helpless women whom he had drugged as he pulled out his dick and prepared to humiliate her.

Speaking of giving your specialty a bad name...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Ahhh, grasshopper.

Thank you for thoughts, they tender shoot of new grass, in time rain and sun will make you strong bamboo, but meantime, listen careful little insect.

First though. Newman filthy masturbator on patient, he shame self, he shame EM specialty, he shame all doctor everywhere! Right thing for you Newman is put sword in gut and twist, die like dog on floor but save family from 10 generation of dishonor.

But for story from night long ago, I give you hairy barbarian with the funny eyes.

Thank you Mr. Miagi.

Was this supposed to be funny?

Ahhh, grasshopper.

Thank you Mr. Miagi.

Kid, this is how it works, I know this is an EM forum, and this might count as a thread hijack to some degree but I still think there is at least a tangential relationship between David’s crimes and the way he behaved in the ER all those years ago.

With regard to that case and trauma in general, it’s all algorithms. You know the algorithm and you follow the algorithm. You got a guy with holes in him, you count the holes, you could care less who made them or what made them or if they are entrance or exit wounds. At that moment in the story, and in most penetrating trauma, the only real decision is go to the OR or not. Clock is ticking. If a vessel is rent then blood is bleeding. If you sit there and look at 80/40 come up twice on the screen and didn’t make your move then maybe you’re going to be standing in front of an audience next week hearing the chief of surgery ask the dreaded question is his soft southern accent:

you will reply “No, sir”

So you gonna stand there? You gonna look at that monitor and say gee, that 80/40 might be the opiate, but it also might be his splenic vein, I’ll just wait for another reading, then another one, then you say go, and then he arrests in the elevator.

And yes, it can only be the surgeon present who can say go, because it’s he or she who will, at that moment, accept the full responsibility of all that comes next. It’s sort of a big deal to open a person up, try it sometime and you’ll see. As such it is a responsibility that can never be pushed onto a person but which must be assumed by the one who will bear all of its attendant burdens. So yes, I know that this isn’t going to go over very well on an EM internet forum, sorry to have to articulate this thing that is usually left unspoken, but you should know early on that when there is an actual emergency the presence of EM staff at a trauma is about as helpful as a scale when you are trying to measure the length of a board. After a while all EM staff realize this, they are happy for it, and things work fine.

Unfortunately, at that point in his career Newman hadn’t gotten the memo. In those days he probably was watching Goose do his thing and thought he was ready to do a crany at the bedside. He was an Emergency doctor and this was a real genuine emergency! Every other ER guy I’ve ever known, even the young ones, would have said “sure, whatever” that night in that setting, but not David. He was different. He wanted power, the same way he wanted power as he sought to change the conversation in medicine through his writing and lectures, the same way he wanted power as he stood over that poor helpless women whom he had drugged as he pulled out his dick and prepared to humiliate her.

Were you not hugged enough as a child?

Members don't see this ad :)
He admitted it? Where in the article did it say that? People make bull **** up all the time for money. Hell, Miley Cyrus wanted to sue Rockstar because one of the characters on a billboard looked like her. People will do anything for money my friend, you name it, someone's most likely done it. We live in a crazy world, I didn't say: "Yup she definitely made it up." I said we will have to see how this works out.

I have another question for you, how many allegations are there about rape that are later rebutted? Look up the statistics on that, I noticed you lived in NYC. A lot of those end up turning into civil law suits because they want money.

"The 45-year-old Iraq War veteran has already been barred from seeing patients as the (investigation plays out), hospital officials said."

"Dr. David Newman, 45, is wanted for questioning in the(alleged sex assault) sources said Wednesday."

I have the upmost respect for Dr. David Newman until he is proven guilty in a court of law by a jury. Lots of people make false accusations, this wouldn't be the first time a physician is accused and it certainly won't be the last. People assume so quickly yup, he's a perv, he must of done it. Case closed? No.... Not at all.

I think you missed a few critical updates to this story, might want to go back through the last couple pages or google him. The cliff notes version is he's been fired, the fluid the woman had on her was sperm and its a DNA match to Newman, and he admitted that he "wacked off" at work, but claims to have done so in the lounge and then inadvertently dripped semen all over her. She did also file a civil suit and it looks like she is very rightfully going to be paid.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you missed a few critical updates to this story, might want to go back through the last couple pages or google him. The cliff notes version is he's been fired, the fluid the woman had on her was sperm and its a DNA match to Newman, and he admitted that he "wacked off" at work, but claims to have done so in the lounge and then inadvertently dripped semen all over her. She did also file a civil suit and it looks like she is very rightfully going to be paid.
This actually isn't true, she claims that DNA evidence will. According to CNN, this has yet to be confirmed. Here's my source:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/23/us/new-york-doctor-sexual-abuse-lawsuit/

Ahhh, grasshopper.

Thank you Mr. Miagi.

you will reply “No, sir”

Combining pedantry with racism then confusing multiple cultures with each other, now that's impressive trolling.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Ahhh, grasshopper.

Thank you Mr. Miagi.

you will reply “No, sir”

N1paOTT.jpg

Everyone is a medical student to a surgeon.

And whats up with the broken english? Is he really a surgeon? What surgeon has the time to post a novel about his 10-year grudge against a sex offender while maligning a whole specialty?

Guess the posts are somewhat entertaining while hard to read/follow...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

What surgeon has the time to post a novel about his 10-year grudge against a sex offender while maligning a whole specialty?

One with a light caseload on a Friday?

To be fair, his/her head is probably too big to fit through the OR doors.

Insulting words to a surgeon, a trauma surgeon at that. Please. You pipsqueaks are throwing rocks at a mountain. This surgeon is giving first hand knowledge of working with this ED doctor earlier in their careers (colorful prose at the least adds emphasis). The more I read and learn about Newman, and consider his comments post arrest, the more cynical I am about his motives concerning anything public that he's done.

As far as insulting EM, you either own Newman, or disown him... that's on you; his own words damn him...

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of doctor have substance abuse issues. They just work harder to hide it due to stigma and fear of job/licensure loss.
yep, I've seen it first hand. experienced, solid, established docs get caught up by drugs and their entire career is flushed down the ****ter. first it's just a little blow here and there then it escalates to crazy acts like newman. it's hard to believe, I still have a hard time believing it. but the only good news (I guess) is if you agree to go to rehab, the board will let you keep your license. legal issues and getting a job is another question......

Insulting words to a surgeon, a trauma surgeon at that. Please. You pipsqueaks are throwing rocks at a mountain. This surgeon is giving first hand knowledge of working with this ED doctor earlier in their careers (colorful prose at the least adds emphasis). The more I read and learn about Newman, and consider his comments post arrest, the more cynical I am about his motives concerning anything public that he's done.

As far as insulting EM, you either own Newman, or disown him... that's on you; his own words damn him...

Dude, you are so full of yourself.

I repeat what I said earlier: f***in surgeons. The unbearable a**holes of the hospital.

...the presence of EM staff at a trauma is about as helpful as a scale when you are trying to measure the length of a board. After a while all EM staff realize this, they are happy for it, and things work fine.

Probably more likely all the EM docs get tired of dealing with your arrogance.

Friendly advice; don't do the racist accent. Also don't be so afraid of your chief of surgery. Instead, try to be friends with them. Try to be friends with your ED docs. Trust me, you'll be happier.

Probably more likely all the EM docs get tired of dealing with your arrogance.

Friendly advice; don't do the racist accent. Also don't be so afraid of your chief of surgery. Instead, try to be friends with them. Try to be friends with your ED docs. Trust me, you'll be happier.
Couldn't agree with your friendly advise more... I try to befriend anyone I meet besides one person I can't stand. Lol... As long as you can become "friends" on a professional level with anyone on your service / floor / e.g. it can really help. :)

... first it's just a little blow here and there then it escalates to crazy acts like newman. ......
Drug abuse rarely escalates to masturbating on your patients. I could see it escalating to theft, but this is a totally different pathology. I'm not sure a stint in rehab will undo this...

Reactions: 7 users
More axis II diagnoses in here... sensor is going off again

Reactions: 1 users

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pip squeaks throwing rocks at a mountain sounds like something you'd see deep in Appalachia. Or maybe the name of an old Dolly Parton song.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Are you really calling yourself a mountain danbo/osler? I guess maybe you are a surgeon after all... That was the only rotation I thought somehow I was back in middle school. I think you probably watch too much game of thrones...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

@Danbo1957 sounds like has a grudge against EM based on his post history:

How many New spots will the be available to MD students due to the Combined Match?

Just fyi, 215 is 15 points below the current average STEP1 for EM, at that's according to the NRMP data from >2 years ago, so the current average is likely >230.

Also, in another of your posts you mention being an academic advisor of some sorts. I can genuinely say I feel sorry for whoever is getting "advice" from you.

I once had a woman call in a complaint about me where she stated I removed her uterus while she was in the ER and she really wants it back.
Given the likely outcome of this case, I think it's prudent to clarify that I did not remove this woman's uterus.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm finding it really sad to think that doing ebm podcasts is the pinnacle of fame one can hope to achieve in EM

I'm finding it really sad to think that doing ebm podcasts is the pinnacle of fame one can hope to achieve in EM
It's not. That's just how he was famous.

btw don't bash podcasts. every reputable TV show has some mobile / podcast equivalent. Keep young and evolve with technology.

It's called the Internet. It's made up of a series of tubes.

There is actually no reason to want, desire, achieve on strive for "fame" in emergency medicine, or anything else. Fame by itself, is nothing but a headache. What you see is an illusion.

Reactions: 3 users
Discussions of fame and such are so stupid for a doctor. A lay person can name maybe 2-4 famous doctors. Only one based on their purported clinical skill. My guess Carson, Rand and Ron Paul, and lastly James Andrews (assuming they are sports fans).

Whats funny is in fields where they search for fame they are likely only famous to themselves or for their bad behavior.

Discussions of fame and such are so stupid for a doctor. A lay person can name maybe 2-4 famous doctors. Only one based on their purported clinical skill. My guess Carson, Rand and Ron Paul, and lastly James Andrews (assuming they are sports fans).

Whats funny is in fields where they search for fame they are likely only famous to themselves or for their bad behavior.

Well, if he wasn't famous before, NOW David Newman is really famous.

Who is James Andrews? I'm not looking him up. Any connection to Erin? (That is, never heard of him, at all.)

Who is James Andrews? I'm not looking him up. Any connection to Erin? (That is, never heard of him, at all.)

Famous athlete orthopod. When someone like Peyton Manning needs an ACL repair, they go to him.

There is actually no reason to want, desire, achieve on strive for "fame" in emergency medicine, or anything else. Fame by itself, is nothing but a headache. What you see is an illusion.
I hope to never be famous (nor infamous) for if I've done my job right, the patient will never remember my name. d=)

-d

Semper Brunneis Pallium

Reactions: 3 users

You forgot Dr. Oz.

Thanks. I only know the Duke ortho guys, and the NHL ortho guy in Colorado, at Steadman-Hawkins West.

Yea, Andrews was in Birmingham, AL for a long time with some component of practice in the FL panhandle, but, like all old people, he has essentially made the Sunshine State his primary residence.

Well, if he wasn't famous before, NOW David Newman is really famous.
I think if you asked 10 people in the hospital who didnt work in the ED outside of NYC/NJ less than 1 in 10 know him.

The great majority of it, I'm sure, from activities unrelated to patient care.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Dont think so.. I mean yes its not that he earned it directly, but his business isnt a business it is an empire. He has tons of people working for him and many more just trying to throw money at him. Anyways, my point is back to the being famous thing. Most people cant name more than 3 doctors outside of their own.

Dont think so.. I mean yes its not that he earned it directly, but his business isnt a business it is an empire. He has tons of people working for him and many more just trying to throw money at him. Anyways, my point is back to the being famous thing. Most people cant name more than 3 doctors outside of their own.

Most people can't name their own doctor...

Most people can't name their own doctor...
Or if they're a doctor. There's an army of MLPs out here in the primary care world. I would argue 90% of their patients call that person Dr. PA or Dr. NP. It's ludicrous.

Or if they're a doctor. There's an army of MLPs out here in the primary care world. I would argue 90% of their patients call that person Dr. PA or Dr. NP. It's ludicrous.

I've noticed this, too. I see "Doctor D!ckfor", he works downtown. Here's his card.

"Ricard D!ckfor, ARNP".

I guarantee you, there's not enough hours in a day, week or year, to make that much money off billing legit e&m or procedure codes from patient care, by one doctor. That's the point.

Any other money other than that is from business ventures and not from personal patient care of the physician. Therefore, the vast majority is not from one doctor, seeing patients. Money from a "business empire" is not what I would consider from an individual physician providing patient care one on one with patients. You can do all kinds of things to make money by putting your degree out there (business ventures, speaking, consulting, hawking supplements) but that's different from patient care. That was my point.

I guarantee you, there's not enough hours in a day, week or year, to make that much money off billing legit e&m or procedure codes from patient care, by one doctor. That's the point.

Any other money other than that is from business ventures and not from personal patient care of the physician. Therefore, the vast majority is not from one doctor, seeing patients. Money from a "business empire" is not what I would consider from an individual physician providing patient care one on one with patients. You can do all kinds of things to make money by putting your degree out there (business ventures, speaking, consulting, hawking supplements) but that's different from patient care. That was my point.

He made that money from patient care. It just wasn't him doing all the care.
I know an orthopod with a similar practice in NYC. He has about 50 docs who work for him.
Huge $$$.
Like owning 20 FSEDs.

People making that kind of money usually don't make it without other people involved.

He made that money from patient care. It just wasn't him doing all the care.
I know an orthopod with a similar practice in NYC. He has about 50 docs who work for him.
Huge $$$.
Like owning 20 FSEDs.

People making that kind of money usually don't make it without other people involved.
Let me clarify. These are all examples of a doctor setting up a business structure (putting on the businessman hat) to make more money that he normally could through individual patient care (wearing the physician hat).

Seeing 30 patients on a Tuesday afternoon yourself and billing for that care = "patient care." This can't be done without seeing patients. Income is limited by how many patients you (and those directly under your clinical supervision) can see. This person's salary is going to be within 2 standard deviations of specialty mean (assuming no fraudulent billing) 95% of the time.

Managing 50 doctors or 20 FSEDs = making money as a "businessman," ie, not through direct patient care. This can be done as a doctor, without ever seeing patients or supervising clinical encounters. This person's income has no limit, because it's not limited by direct patient care (or patient care supervision) duties.

They're not the same. One of those is taught in medical school and residency. The other isn't. The "physicians" making ten times average physician salaries are not doing it by seeing ten times more patient than the average and by providing 10 times more, or better care. They're doing it through non-patient care endeavors, (again, assuming legal, non-fraudulent billing) usually involving business ventures and arrangements.

Your example of an orthopedic doctor with 50 physician employees is 50 parts businessman, 1 part physician (assuming he sees any patients at all.) It's likely the vast majority of his income comes from his CEO income stream (money made from managing the 50 employees & profiting from their collections, likely surgery center income as an Ortho, probably DME, maybe Ortho-equipment company-speaking engagements/equipment trials, possibly rent and other income from group related real estate, etc.) His income from his actual patient encounters would pale in comparison to the above business related income streams.

I understand that these things are pretty foreign to, and of little interest to, most emergency physicians. But I digress, since we're way of the thread topic at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

true, besides the obvious this could be a reason. I am not sure where else but in FL for arnp's (b/c of the phd) they're allowed to use their title as long as they say the actual job position afterwards
" I am DR SMITH....your nurse practioner"

but then I can't even remember the type of ravioli I had for lunch today.

Status
Not open for further replies.