DDS or ADVANCED DENTAL PROGRAMME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zain

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone...
i was wondering if anyone of you could help me out with an advice.
I'm a dentist from India,i attempted my NDB last dec and scored only 78%:( ....so i attempted again this july and i'm still waiting for the scores,but frankly speaking this july i found it tough and don't have great hopes with the scores??!!....i'm really devastated and feel so helpless..
I was wondering if applying for advanced dental programme is a good idea since not all require NDB scores??
I feel i'm wasting a lot of time just attempting NDB,please advice what's best????and if you have any idea what prospects does one have after advanced dental programme??
Thanks.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Zain,

I am not sure if you heard of Minnesota opening up for foreign dentists. They require u to clear both part 1 and 2 NBDE and they wud have a practical exam, after clearing that u wud be allowed to practice in their state. If you are interested, then maybe u shud contact them and send in an ECE subject analysis, based on which they wud tell u if u are eligible for that.

and if u are interested in the teaching side, the other possibility wud be to do a masters in any of the non clinical subjects and get associated with any university fer teaching.

All the best
itsme

rajkang,

it isn't? i got the impression that gaining admissions to an advanced standing program was extremely hard (for foreign trained dentists). please respond...

take care.

Members don't see this ad :)
raj,

Thanks for the hand, but I was just wondering because I may be studying dentistry at the University of West Indies soon. Just trying to get a feel of how hard it is vying for a spot back into North America. Take care,

bus.

hi rajkang

this is zain...is it really easy??? i scored 78% in my NDB in dec so i atttempted again in july but have no hopes because the exam was really tough....

so i was wondering if there is anyways of getting into school without NDB like i heard few advanced programme don't require NDB scores...is n't that true..

are you into advanced programme???is it really easy to apply for them?? where do u think i should apply???because i live in Arizona and unfortunately there is "no" dental school here:(

so please advice how to go about??after my advanced programme can i work in any dental office as well after my license exam..

thanks.

Originally posted by zain

......are you into advanced programme???is it really easy to apply for them?? where do u think i should apply???because i live in Arizona and unfortunately there is "no" dental school here:(

Yes there is. But I don't know if the offer advanced placement.
Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health
asdoh.atsu.edu

There's a SDNer from that school, his name is ItsGavinC, he usually hangs around the Dental forum.

busupshot83,
If you have the chance to study here in the states do it. Otherwise, study hard since the beggining to keep high numbers.

I know someone, actually a friend of mine, who scored 77 on Step 1, then he shooted directly for Step 2 scoring 78, then he applied only for his hometown University ( Pittsburg). It was over 150 candidates for like 5 places, thru the interviewing process he got in and the other 25 selected, than came the practical exam.
He started school last year, he was in that five candidates.
So what I'm trying to say that not allways the scores what u got it matters, maybe u got better chances and helps u a lot, but it depends also on the interview too, if they like u.
And also u got to have luck.
So don't worry keep trying, and if I were u don't redo step 1 just take step 2 than apply everywhere.
Good Luck.

hi zain,
i'm too a dentist from india living in arizona.where do u stay in az.?

hi
iam an indian trained dentist and taking part -1in dec .i stay in virginia.i want to know what all dental schools in US that dont require part -2and give admission directly with part -1
please let me know:)

Originally posted by SmileDesigner
hi
iam an indian trained dentist and taking part -1in dec .i stay in virginia.i want to know what all dental schools in US that dont require part -2and give admission directly with part -1
please let me know:)

So far the only ones I know that actually require part 2 are Tufts, University of Pittsburgh and University of Tennessee.

Maybe someone else knows about more schools.

hi guys,
i live in maryland.i m also going to apply 4 the advance standing programmes.so where r u planning to apply?

if anyone can post the iformation abt the advance standing programme in east cost region ,i will b thakful.

priti.
:)