1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Dead end if you dont get into SMP?

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by playthatfunky, Nov 15, 2005.

1. playthatfunky

playthatfunky Member
    5+ Year Member

I was just thinking, this doesn't apply to me but I'm sure it does a lot of people. Say someone has the typical 3.0 undergrad GPA and they go to a program or do-it-yourself it and get a nice 3.5 in some sciences and maybe a 29-30 on the MCAT. So they've basically done the advice most on here would give. They then apply to medical school, dont get in. They then apply to the SMPs and dont get in. Then what?

With maybe a 3.1 cum, 3.5 science, 29 MCAT seems like you're too close to give up. Ignoring osteopathic (cause the same example could be given about that with slightly lower numbers) what does someone do when this happens? I imagine it happens a lot.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. markboonya

markboonya Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

retake mcat, take more post bac classes, then reapply to smp. i am sure some form of stable income would also be necessary.

4. DrHuang

DrHuang SDN Donor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    there are many SMPs...Georgetown, Boston University, Drexel, and RFU are the ones i can think of from the top of my head and i think EVMS has one too...i think that with those numbers youd have a shot at any of the five i just listed.

edit: loyola has one too

5. LooKing4Ward

LooKing4Ward Member
    5+ Year Member

i think most also plan a backup plan, though, i dunno what is a successful backup plan that proves your competitivesness for med school and let you have a careeer/job should you don't get into med school.

what you can do with extra courses from a post-bac or an smp if you don't get in? the traditional masters route, i think are better viewed in getting a career/job, but aren't geared to proving your competitiveness for med school.

6. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Research is an option, also I'd find out why you didn't get med school acceptances. i have a VERY hard time seeing how someone with those stats couldn't get into a SMP program or even a Masters of Biomedical sciences (there are quite a few of those out there). If this person if stuck in a particular location, they can always try again. It comes down to determination and drive. I would hope if they are listening to advice here on SDn that they have also consulted with various admissions offices to see about strengthening their application.

There are a lot of options that a person has in that situation, its up to them to find them though.

7. sendwich

sendwich you rock!
    10+ Year Member

you almost can't go wrong applying for smp, meaning 9/10 (9.9/10) they will accept you, granted that even though you might have a less-than-perfect record, if you show SOME sort of improvement, they will accept you (meaning, more money for them). it's all about the money...mostly anyways....so dont worry about not being accepted. just apply