DEAD WEEK at your college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StayingFocused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know, the unbelievably stressful week before finals that I know many Universities call "DEAD WEEK"

I'm just wondering...does you're university call it that or are there other names you call it and/or do you have this week before finals week completely off? What university do you go to?

Members don't see this ad.

We get Thursday and Friday off, but all we really do is booze it up.

at harvard it's called reading period ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
at harvard it's called reading period ;)

dartmouth calls it that as well...and its only 3 days. sometimes two if there was a school holiday a week or two before (they will say that was the first day of reading period and only have 2 left)

Used to be called dead week and then they changed the name to concentrated study period.

Basically a lie though. It's usually the most stressful week because assignments, projects and tests are scheduled that week and then we have finals the next week.

It's called "study days" here. I'd guess a lot of people just use it as a few days off though.

We only have 1 "reading day"

Reactions: 1 user
We only have one day off, and we call it 'stop day' here in Kansas. I don't think I could take a whole week of nothing but studying..

We had "Dead Day." It was a Thursday. Classes ended Wednesday, 1 day of no finals, then finals started on Friday and went through the next Friday.

When I studied abroad, it was "revision week" for a couple of weeks before finals.

Ours is dead week. If you're a science major, it's not "dead" at all because you have lab finals. Sometimes there are huge papers due that week also.

It's really not "dead" at all. This semester was the first time I didn't have anything to do during dead week.

Members don't see this ad :)
We don't get sh**....finals begin the week right after classes end, soooo we can have the weekend to study, and if you are lucky enough, your finals will be scheduled toward the end of finals week so you can have a few extra days to study. Unfortunately, I am never so lucky. . .

We always had normal classes up until finals. The last days before finals were usually a rush of papers and tests. Then the weekend. Then the final exams. I wouldn't have wanted them to stretch it out an extra week.

We had "Dead Day." It was a Thursday. Classes ended Wednesday, 1 day of no finals, then finals started on Friday and went through the next Friday.

exactly this for me.

I think I win. We didn't have any dead days, our finals began the day after our last classes.

We have 1 "Reading Day". The night before "Reading Day" is "Drunk Night".

We don't have a "Dead week." We get the Wednesday of Finals Week off. The week before Finals Week (All sciences) is for the humanity departments to give any finals they need to.

called "Concentrated study period" formally, but all the students call it dead week. which is such a lie, bc everyone knows that all your projects and other s*** will be due during that week.

We've got Dead Day the Friday before finals week. Some of the profs will hold office hours (I think they're supposed to, but few follow that rule) or sometimes reviews for the intro-levels. I slept in and didn't study, good use of my time. Helped me more than studying would have:thumbup:

Classes end at 905pm Monday and Finals begin 800am Tuesday.

You guys actually get a break? We have classes until Friday and Finals start on Monday. I love it when my finals are during 10th week (last week of classes) or in the beginning of finals week. It's like an extra day of vacation! Plus, I like seeing people studying while I relax :smuggrin:

We have a single "reading day" or "dead day" before classes. I wish we had a week...

I don't have anything. It has been discussed by the student government though.

We call it Hell Week/The week before Hell Week
at least that's what the students call it=]

We call it dead week. We get mon-wed off, finals are thurs, fri, mon, and tues.

Where I am we get a dead day (thursday), friday is first day of finals, then it is the weekend, and then finals pick up again for the rest of the week.

You know, the unbelievably stressful week before finals that I know many Universities call "DEAD WEEK"

I'm just wondering...does you're university call it that or are there other names you call it and/or do you have this week before finals week completely off? What university do you go to?

Sure we have a dead week. Its basically the time where the marginally productive potheads try and study, and feel the pain of their sober and more studious peers who've had to put up with all the noise and rif-raff the whole year.

For instance I can clearly hear outside my off-campus apartment right now some girl yelling at her boyfriend in the middle of the courtyard, expressing her displeasure at the fact that he won't perform a certain sexual act on her. He is barely standing up and drunken-slurring back something inaudible.

Earlier I went to take out my trash, you know to do end of the semester cleaning since my exams are pretty much over, and lo and behold at the bottom of my steps was some girl laying in the gutter with her skirt over head while her friend was yelling at her in between puking all over herself.

The couple that lives up above me came down and knocked on my door, asking if they should call the cops and report all the noise. I said to them, "Well only if you hide your weed and spray a bunch of lysol so the cops don't smell anything if they come over here." Then the stupid girl just does an about face, making sure to stick her butt out in defiance at my obviously off-putting retort. The idiot got the string of her Juicy pants stuck and almost fell flat on her face as she stumbled back up the stairs.

The putzs that live above me smoke that garbage non-stop and it pours through the vents. I'm pretty sure my dog has even gotten high just receiving some of it through the ventilation system.

Man this campus drives me absolutely insane.

:thumbup: At Harvard we get a week off called "reading period":smuggrin:

What? People actually have days off before finals?? We get jack ****. My Chem 2 professor gave us our last midterm on Friday and then the final that very Monday of finals week.

At Berkeley we don't have a Dead Week, we have like a dead weekend. Basically classes end on F and finals start M.

Oh and you can have up to 4 finals scheduled on one day...no wonder we have grade deflation!

Sure we have a dead week. Its basically the time where the marginally productive potheads try and study, and feel the pain of their sober and more studious peers who've had to put up with all the noise and rif-raff the whole year.

For instance I can clearly hear outside my off-campus apartment right now some girl yelling at her boyfriend in the middle of the courtyard, expressing her displeasure at the fact that he won't perform a certain sexual act on her. He is barely standing up and drunken-slurring back something inaudible.

Earlier I went to take out my trash, you know to do end of the semester cleaning since my exams are pretty much over, and lo and behold at the bottom of my steps was some girl laying in the gutter with her skirt over head while her friend was yelling at her in between puking all over herself.

The couple that lives up above me came down and knocked on my door, asking if they should call the cops and report all the noise. I said to them, "Well only if you hide your weed and spray a bunch of lysol so the cops don't smell anything if they come over here." Then the stupid girl just does an about face, making sure to stick her butt out in defiance at my obviously off-putting retort. The idiot got the string of her Juicy pants stuck and almost fell flat on her face as she stumbled back up the stairs.

The putzs that live above me smoke that garbage non-stop and it pours through the vents. I'm pretty sure my dog has even gotten high just receiving some of it through the ventilation system.

Man this campus drives me absolutely insane.

Dude this just sounds like COLLEGE...if you don't like where you are living then move!

Dude this just sounds like COLLEGE...if you don't like where you are living then move!

For most (well maybe not most but many of us) with a rigorous academic, EC, research, etc. schedule, we enjoy the whole atmosphere for about a year or two but by the time junior year hits and classes get harder and standardized tests become a priority, we kind of grow out of it.

I'm just wondering...does your university call it that or are there other names you call it and/or do you have this week before finals week completely off? What university do you go to?

It's a joke, very few professors follow this rule. Attendance is still required. Final unit tests before the cumulative final occur during this, "dead," week in all my science classes. It is university policy... but not required. In other words, the rules are guidelines.

Last edited:
For most (well maybe not most but many of us) with a rigorous academic, EC, research, etc. schedule, we enjoy the whole atmosphere for about a year or two but by the time junior year hits and classes get harder and standardized tests become a priority, we kind of grow out of it.

This seems kind of... bitter? I mean, sure, I didn't get to screw around as much as I did during my first two years, but other people's happiness (or ignorance) never really harmed my own. In fact, people watching was one of my favorite stress-relievers. My apartment overlooked one of the main streets out to our college town, haha.

This seems kind of... bitter? I mean, sure, I didn't get to screw around as much as I did during my first two years, but other people's happiness (or ignorance) never really harmed my own. In fact, people watching was one of my favorite stress-relievers. My apartment overlooked one of the main streets out to our college town, haha.

Sounds extremely bitter. I was always easily able to to have plenty of fun all throughout college, and continue to make sure that I have plenty of fun in medical school. My outlook is that, if I'm not able to pass my classes while also having fun, then I don't want to spend my life doing that anyways. I've never understood the grumpy people who live in their books.

Class ends on Wednesday, then we get one "study day" with finals commencing on Friday.

Dead week sounds nice. Here in the quarter system, finals begin Monday the week after classes end on Friday.

Dead week sounds nice. Here in the quarter system, finals begin Monday the week after classes end on Friday.

Hooray for the quarter system! Weeks 1-2: zero responsibilties! Week 3 onward: midteeeeeerms.

I love how you quoted me from 5 yrs ago. :)

Reading through this (oldish) thread, I'm surprised that some schools don't have at least SOME dedicated study time before finals. I think I usually had a weekend plus ~2-3 weekdays to do a ton of writing and studying.

Pain is temporary. GPA is forever.

Quarter system here also. Every term we have 1 monday off for a holiday. So we have a make-up class on Monday, then finals tuesday-saturday. At least there's a rule that you can't have more than 2 finals in 1 day.