Deadline for ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zbtb7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I'm going to be graduating this spring. I've got the stats for dental school but I feel as if my ECs are inadequate. I'll be applying during my gap year. I'm going to continue working on my ECs during my gap year while I'm working. How are ECs done after undergrad weighted by adcoms compared to those done during undergrad? I'm hoping I can build them up if I don't get in on my first try.

Thank you for your help!
-Zbtb7

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Posting a single word or useless message (bumping) to attract attention to your thread is not cool, especially after less than 1 day. Do your own research, and be patient with the community. Often, the reason for posts remaining unanswered is due in large part to the sparse details in the original post itself, or, the obvious availability of solutions on the forum or on the web, and the community's unwillingness to point out the obvious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you please point out the obvious for me then? I don't know and I'm really worried.

Also, has anyone on SDN gotten rejected not for stats but poor ECs. If so, how did you improve your ECs and did you get accepted in the next cycle?

Last edited:
Depends on what your states are. If you have a 4.0 gpa then don't bother. Dental schools would accepted you with open arms. Now if your gpa is low, make it up with your DAT score. That is all you need to worry about.

Don't make the mistake i did and work part or full time during undergrad, have it effect your grades, thinking its necessary for admission.

Source: http://www.predents.com/

The way I see it, you have everything to gain and nothing to lose. In my opinion, having ECs on your application will ALWAYS be better than having nothing to present. Doesn't matter if you did it after graduating or not. Even if the ECs don't help your application, they definitely didn't hurt it.

Thank you for your replies.

I've a 3.9+ gpa and 23. I don't think I can/need to improve my numbers. I'm worried my ECs aren't good enough and I'm hoping I can improve them while I'm working if I don't get in on my first cycle.

Last edited:
Did anyone not get in on their first cycle due to poor ECs, improve them after college, and got accepted? If so, could you please share your story?

Or, are there people who got all their ECs as nontrads? How did adcoms view your ECs?