Deadline Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Time2Sig

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I didn't find this question anywhere.
The school I want to apply to is the University of Washington in 2009. All pre-reqs are to be completed by the spring quarter of 2008 (so end of April 2008), but the application is due in Jan. 2008. This means I will be 2 or 3 quarters short of meeting all the pre-reqs when the application is due, but I'll still finish them on time to meet the deadline requirement.
Do I have to fill out and send an incomplete application? Also this means I can't really apply early because the earlier I apply the more classes I'm missing. How does this work?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok I didn't find this question anywhere.
The school I want to apply to is the University of Washington in 2009. All pre-reqs are to be completed by the spring quarter of 2008 (so end of April 2008), but the application is due in Jan. 2008. This means I will be 2 or 3 quarters short of meeting all the pre-reqs when the application is due, but I'll still finish them on time to meet the deadline requirement.
Do I have to fill out and send an incomplete application? Also this means I can't really apply early because the earlier I apply the more classes I'm missing. How does this work?

You might want to double-check the dates. Are you applying for fall 08 or fall 09? If fall 09 then the application deadline should be Jan 09 meaning your application would be complete, just not your coursework until the following April (2009) and you would matriculate August(ish)2009. If you're applying for Fall 08 then backdate everything 1 year. Either way most people are still working on their prereqs while they fill out their apps. The apps are complete, the coursework is not. In my case I filled out my PharmCAS application and submitted in August 06. In this sense the application was complete, including my planned coursework for the next 3 quarters. I sent updated transcripts in January and again in March to fill in the grades for coursework completed after the application was submitted. I'll have to resubmit transcripts in June once the rest of my coursework is complete. Schools still consider the applicants and they will even be accept them before the coursework is complete. Of course this is contingent on satisfactorily completing all the coursework by the stated deadline.

Yeah I screwed up the application is due 2009, but I'm 2 quarters short. But the way you explained it makes sense. However that brings up another question. When I first apply and my course work is incomplete, that means my GPA will be a little lower than it will when I finish. I recently was able to start working about 25 hours a week less and my GPA last quarter was a 3.7 compared to my usual around 3.0-3.1. I'm pretty confident that I can maintain good grades. Do you think they might look at my application and not be interested enough to give me an interview? Jan. 2009 I think my GPA will be around a 3.3-3.4. I do have extensive pharm. tech experience, good LOR's, and a bit of volunteer work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I screwed up the application is due 2009, but I'm 2 quarters short. But the way you explained it makes sense. However that brings up another question. When I first apply and my course work is incomplete, that means my GPA will be a little lower than it will when I finish. I recently was able to start working about 25 hours a week less and my GPA last quarter was a 3.7 compared to my usual around 3.0-3.1. I'm pretty confident that I can maintain good grades. Do you think they might look at my application and not be interested enough to give me an interview? Jan. 2009 I think my GPA will be around a 3.3-3.4. I do have extensive pharm. tech experience, good LOR's, and a bit of volunteer work.

You'd have to check their acceptance stats. 3.3-3.4 is low-medium GPA. Not too low, not very high. It should be above the GPA cut-off which means they'll be looking at the rest of the application. LOR from pharmacist goes a long way. They'll be able to see the upward trend in the GPA. I'm assuming you'll have either taken the PCAT by then or that you don't have too. If you've taken PCAT or will take it and have done/will do good on it, I'd say you've got a better than average chance with the Tech experience, especially since you've got volunteer work to boot.

PharmCAS wishes to remind you that the January 4, 2008 deadline is quickly approaching for the pharmacy schools listed below:

Cincinnati, University of
Drake University
East Tennessee State University
Iowa, University of
Kentucky, University of
Mercer University
Midwestern University - Downers Grove
Midwestern University - Glendale
Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Pharmacy - NEOUCOP
NOVA Southeastern University
Ohio State University, The
Washington State University