Dealing with online trolls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

There are 2-3 people who live on this forum 24/7, I almost wonder if someone is paying them to post how terrible the profession of pharmacy is. In my opinion if you want advice on making big life decisions like deciding to go or not to go to pharmacy school, an online anon forum may not be the best place to do that. Find an actual pharmacist and talk to trusted mentors. For all you know these people could be jaded by the profession and posting from their moms basement. If you're like me and tired of being told for the 1000th time to be an engineer, here are some helpful instructions taken from the pre optometry

It's Prime Trolling Season (tm). In that spirit, I just wanted to take a moment to remind everyone that....

Trolls do it for the attention. If they don't get attention they get really, really annoyed. It's probably because they were ignored as children, have small genitalia, have a face that not even a dog could love, or some such combination of the above.

o Find the user that you don't want to hear from, and click on the user's name.
o click on Add User X to your Ignore List
o Reload the page you were originally viewing
o Voila! No more assclown. (It's as if their posts never existed)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
saturation is not a myth though.... i mean, there is even a sticky about it in the pre-pharmacy forum

Reactions: 6 users
Depends on what you value more...the truth or ad hominem attacks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Notice I never stated my opinion on said argument and definently never mentioned anything about myths but my point has been proven. Congratulations. Well done. Pat on the back for you. Changing pharmacy one forum post at time.

Reactions: 1 user
Notice I never stated my opinion on said argument and definently never mentioned anything about myths but my point has been proven. Congratulations. Well done. Pat on the back for you. Changing pharmacy one forum post at time.
but the suggestions and arguments are ultimately about the saturation.... what exactly are you mad about if its not about people telling you about saturation in one way or another?

In short, saturation does exist.

The big issue in times past is if someone comes on here with direct questions on specifics ( such as applications, study material, and interview questions from specific schools) some users instead of answering directly will simply state "cant believe your doing this" or "any pre-pharm who joins must really be desperate" so on and so forth.

I wouldn't care if our senior users stated these things if they would at least answer the original question. This was leading to inflaming and putting down users so much that now we have funneled updates of the Job Market in a sub-forum that allows users to read for themselves what's going on. A redirect was put in as a sticky for pre-pharms to understand the saturation and if pharmacy is worth it.

Since you will utilize the GI Bill and debt to income wont be as big of an issue for yourself as it will for your future classmates, you don't fit into the category of targeted pre-pharms many others like to whip-lash on here. I myself wouldn't recommend it to just anybody.

But correct, you can always block said users if the annoyance hits its threshold ;)

but the suggestions and arguments are ultimately about the saturation.... what exactly are you mad about if its not about people telling you about saturation in one way or another?
The same reason why people who go on political rants on the internet are annoying. it does nothing. again, you're implying that I don't think saturation is an issue when I never expressed my opinion. if you really care about the profession and want to see changes, it's not gonna happen through an anonymous post on a message board. BC_89 summed up the point I was trying to make if you still don't get it.

The same reason why people who go on political rants on the internet are annoying. it does nothing. again, you're implying that I don't think saturation is an issue when I never expressed my opinion. if you really care about the profession and want to see changes, it's not gonna happen through an anonymous post on a message board. BC_89 summed up the point I was trying to make if you still don't get it.

I suppose the best example is to look in the military medicine forum. You will always see users stating to not "join the service" or sign the dotted line for HPSP but in the end, they still answer the original questions and relay this with their own experiences both positive and negative. Why? Well, despite so many healthcare professionals joining the service, many young people still don't understand the in and outs of the different branches and opportunity cost that comes with service.

But when you look here, you will see more "one-sided" answers without actually answering the original questionnaire. I like the input with our licensed professionals, but if they'd just get to the point of the thread and then relay the experience, it can serve its purpose for both saturation and those wanting to work community or other scopes of pharmacy (despite residency being overly populated and "saturated" as well, you see the tone in that section much more different than anywhere else on here).

Anyway, a penny for a thought I suppose.

Who else do you want to see the input from? actual licensed pharmacists? well, I am in my 4th year doing APPEs, and I have seen enough s**tty side of the profession just under 3 months. When your preceptor talks about the thick stack of resumes from unemployed or under-employed pharmacists dropping by once a while, an idiot would understand what the hell wrong with this dying profession! This is not political at all! Ask any 4th year students or any fresh grads you can find. This profession is dying is not a rant, this is the consensus!

I’m an actual licensed pharmacist for years and I’m not going to sugarcoat the truth. I’ve been staying on top of pharmacy trends. When I graduated from school, we only get 7000 new pharmacists per year. Today we get 15,000 pharmacists per year. On top of that, our job market is shrinking. Walmart plans to lay off up to 40% of their senior pharmacists. CVS and Walgreens are closing hundreds of stores. Fred’s Pharmacy is closing 129 stores. Saturation is the reality of the pharmacy profession. We tried to petition. We tried to halt new schools from opening but it falls on deaf ears.

Reactions: 2 users
It's Prime Trolling Season (tm). In that spirit, I just wanted to take a moment to remind everyone that....

Trolls do it for the attention. If they don't get attention they get really, really annoyed. It's probably because they were ignored as children, have small genitalia, have a face that not even a dog could love, or some such combination of the above.

You are what is known as a projector.

Take your own advice bro

Agree on asking P4s/new grads/hiring managers. Heck, call pharmacies and ask how many apps they are getting. Others are going to be clueless if they haven't looked for a job in a while and will assume everything is awesome (like baby boomers who have no concept of how much more expensive school is now).

Nobody is doing it for the attention. It's for a mix of guiding people away from a bad situation as well as preventing wages from going to nothing with the ridiculous saturation.

I keep hearing from friends about hundreds of applications for one job. You can put your head in the sand or you can face the reality.

OP, can you give us an example of an online troll here? I haven't seen any trolling, just facts and reality. The only argument I've seen from prepharms are name calling, insults and denial (your post is a perfect example).

I am a pharmacist, if anyone doesn't believe me then that's not my problem. IDK why anyone would listen to a student or new grad over a working pharmacist. I don't live in anyone's basement, I own a home and paid off my student loans 3 years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
lmao. I could understand the part where pre-pharm questions aren't answered and instead are given typical answer of, "dont do it dummy!" But at the same time, they aren't trying to troll you. If 80% of parachutes didn't open and everyone told you not to go skydiving, would you listen to the "trolls" or go ahead anyway?

OP, can you give us an example of an online troll here? I haven't seen any trolling, just facts and reality. The only argument I've seen from prepharms are name calling, insults and denial (your post is a perfect example).

I am a pharmacist, if anyone doesn't believe me then that's not my problem. IDK why anyone would listen to a student or new grad over a working pharmacist. I don't live in anyone's basement, I own a home and paid off my student loans 3 years ago.

There are 2-3 people who live on this forum 24/7, I almost wonder if someone is paying them to post how terrible the profession of pharmacy is. In my opinion if you want advice on making big life decisions like deciding to go or not to go to pharmacy school, an online anon forum may not be the best place to do that. Find an actual pharmacist and talk to trusted mentors. For all you know these people could be jaded by the profession and posting from their moms basement. If you're like me and tired of being told for the 1000th time to be an engineer, here are some helpful instructions taken from the pre optometry

I think the OP's post there would fit the definition of a troll perfectly! We should just stop responding!

Reactions: 3 users

Im sure op is a troll seeking attention that lives in his moms basement with small genitalia and was ignored as a child. Oh and wants a face that his dog could love.

Im a pic at an independent and recently hired two pharmacists. One is a part time and the other prn. Guess how many applied? Call me a troll but thats not gonna change the fact that no one cares what you think.

Premed but I have to agree it's astonishing how some people are rotting on here as much as they are....

Whether you ask a pharmacist online or a pharmacist in person, don't you think that is still a very small sample size not enough to get a clear view on where the job market is heading? Instead why not rely on:

Job projections based on statistics:

Official statements from national organizations:
News reports about the profession:
This is a better approach don't you think?

Reactions: 6 users
Whether you ask a pharmacist online or a pharmacist in person, don't you think that is still a very small sample size not enough to get a clear view on where the job market is heading? Instead why not rely on:

Damn. You didnt have to go THAT far lol

He's still going to deny it and call us trolls. Is he in total denial or is he a dean at a pharmacy school (projecting with his comment that people are paid to "troll" ) ?

This should be a sticky in all pharmacy forums and kept updated monthly.

Reactions: 5 users
there's a lot of misery on here and that's honestly an even better reason to not pursue pharmacy

cant tell if you are trolling us at this point
actually, not at all, I never said saturation wasn't a problem however my argument was twisted and that's what this has become. If you can't convince pre pharms of that, hopefully, they can read between the lines and see how miserable some in the profession are before they get into it.

actually, not at all, I never said saturation wasn't a problem however my argument was twisted and that's what this has become. If you can't convince pre pharms of that, hopefully, they can read between the lines and see how miserable some in the profession are before they get into it.

You keep changing your story. Your original argument was that there are trolls on here potentially getting paid to say how horrible the profession is.

Some people may be more miserable than others, understandably so if you know anything about the current situation, not just the saturation but the general working environment at places like cvs or walgreens.

How would one define the quality of a profession? No matter how great of the purpose of profession, if you have to work like a slave in a dumpster like environment in which you constantly worry about your job security and physical well being, how would you define that?

For someone who has not fully practiced in the profession, to condescendingly say others are trolling just because you dont know or don’t understand, your argument sounds laughable and completely irrelevant.

I am happy with my situation and my job. I have been lucky enough to find a job where i dont have to worry about things aforementioned. But does not mean that i am satisfied with what is happening in my profession. Ive gone through a very tough time before i was able to land my current job. So i know how tough it is out there. Call me a troll all you want but im gonna tell it like it is and it SUCKS right now. Good luck.

You keep changing your story. Your original argument was that there are trolls on here potentially getting paid to say how horrible the profession is.

Some people may be more miserable than others, understandably so if you know anything about the current situation, not just the saturation but the general working environment at places like cvs or walgreens.

How would one define the quality of a profession? No matter how great of the purpose of profession, if you have to work like a slave in a dumpster like environment in which you constantly worry about your job security and physical well being, how would you define that?

For someone who has not fully practiced in the profession, to condescendingly say others are trolling just because you dont know or don’t understand, your argument sounds laughable and completely irrelevant.

I am happy with my situation and my job. I have been lucky enough to find a job where i dont have to worry about things aforementioned. But does not mean that i am satisfied with what is happening in my profession. Ive gone through a very tough time before i was able to land my current job. So i know how tough it is out there. Call me a troll all you want but im gonna tell it like it is and it SUCKS right now. Good luck.
people get paid to influence views on the internet, ill admit that's slightly conspiratorial for this forum but nothing can be assumed.

there's a lot of misery on here and that's honestly an even better reason to not pursue pharmacy

There you go. If so many people practicing in the profession are so negative and actively trying to discourage others from joining, perhaps there is a reason.

You're just digging your grave with this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.