Dean asking "What other schools did you interview at / admitted into?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fumoffu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just came back from UPitt's last interview and the dean asked me what other schools I interviewed at and was admitted into. This also happened at a few other schools I interviewed at. I did tell them without hesitation.

I was wondering if this will hurt my chances to get in or WHY they even ask this in the first place since isn't this supposedly an "illegal" question?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Fumoffu
I just came back from UPitt's last interview and the dean asked me what other schools I interviewed at and was admitted into. This also happened at a few other schools I interviewed at. I did tell them without hesitation.

I was wondering if this will hurt my chances to get in or WHY they even ask this in the first place since isn't this supposedly an "illegal" question?

After they ask it, you are supposed to answer, and then explain why you like their program better...:laugh:

Also, could be a test because they may already know where you've been accepted, right?

its supposed be one of those inappropriate questions...but its just something that comes up and many many interviewers ask the prospective students.

its a common thing.
i answered my questions and ive been accepted to the places that asked that one. they are just curious i think.

but if you want you can do a search on this topic since there have been many threads about this before and people talking about their thoughts on the matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
They want to try to figure out whether you will come if you're accepted. This is one roundabout way of getting a sense of what the applicant really wants. I see this all the time. People who stay with me who say "I'm not coming here, I'm just here to look around." Of course they would never say this in an interview, but when their applying/accepted list is all California except for the biggest name east coast schools and they've already been accepted at UCwhatever... Hmmm...

the dean at pitt asked me the exact same question. it was so awkward and i panicked and couldn't think of a snazzy answer in time, so i just told him. i've been wondering ever since how it's affected their decision (waitlist)...

Originally posted by kayw028
the dean at pitt asked me the exact same question. it was so awkward and i panicked and couldn't think of a snazzy answer in time, so i just told him. i've been wondering ever since how it's affected their decision (waitlist)...

this question sounds like the perfect opportunity to explain why u wanna attend this school

i didn't interview with the dean at pitt (interviewed with the director of admissions) but my faculty interviewer asked me the same question. i just answered it straight out- let's hope there's no negative consequences.
(i think she initially wanted to know just to see if i'd been accepted, being that accepted students are usually more relaxed than those who haven't been accepted yet)

Yeah I told the Dean there where I interviewed, and he responded "Well I'd like to see you again, but I don't think I will"

So far, waitlist. It probably was counted, I think. I should have responded with "several east coast schools" or something like that. It's a really inappropriate question unless there's an established match. Plus, what if I genuinely liked Pitt over some "USNEWS better" schools, and I get rejected just because I interviewed somewhere else? Maybe a better question would be "why do you specifically want to come here, and why would you come here over other choices"?

Anyway, I'm ranting. I talked to quite a few students at Pitt who turned down places like Hopkins and WashU. Plus Pitt has a lot of scholarships you can apply for.

I was asked the same question by the dean at pitt! I said..."some east coast schools," and obviously, he said, "be more specific!" I went on to tell him where I had been accepted, and he wrote down the name of the schools in a sheet with my picture in it. And as soon as I said, "even though I have been accpeted somewhere else..." he stopped me, and said, "I know what you are going to tell me, you all have the same story!" THAT SUCKS!!!!!

I think that must be a standard question at Pitt. I got it also. I was just straight up with him. I dont think this is a case where beating around the bush helps your chances.

Well, I don't know. I was asked this question at Albany and the guy did not let it alone! I mean, he just kept drilling me on which school, where. I said politely it that I didn't feel comfortable discussing the details, but that it was an east coast school. So then he just started to list off east coast schools, one after another, city by city starting with Philadelphia and then moving on to NY. The guy was a big pain and I didn't like his interview style - and this really bothered me too.

I was rejected the next week - :rolleyes:

The thing is, I really liked Albany and would've loved to have even been waitlisted. The interview was a BIG turnoff.

This question is starting to come up because they are at the end of the interview cycle and they'd like to know who'll come if accepted. Basically say you've been accepted at HMS but you'd go to this school over HMS if accepted. ;)

i was asked that at GW and was subsequently waitlisted. :(

I got asked that a lot last year, it's not "illegal" at all for them to ask. I usually got the feeling they were trying to feel out what kind of an applicant you were, how other schools looked at you, and what you thought of certain programs. I don't think it really hurts or helps your chances that much. As long as you make it clear that you are attending their interview for a reason (i.e. you are interested in going there), it's certainly normal to be holding other acceptances and have had other interviews. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you say something like, "yea, no one wants me or yea, I already actually decided to go somewhere else, I just thought Pitt would be a fun place to visit today" ;)

got asked the question. answered honestly and got in

I was at pitt last friday and dean asked me if I am in somewhere. I honestly answered no and he asked me what schools I had interview at. But today I receive an offer from MCV and of course accept it. Now I am wondering if I should e-mail dean to express my interest in the school and that my status have changed. What should I do?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by iliab
I was at pitt last friday and dean asked me if I am in somewhere. I honestly answered no and he asked me what schools I had interview at. But today I receive an offer from MCV and of course accept it. Now I am wondering if I should e-mail dean to express my interest in the school and that my status have changed. What should I do?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Why would you contact them to tell them you got in somewhere else? i dont think that'll curry favor with them at all.

Funny, I was asked similar questions during my college interviews. Just gotta be honest, to a certain degree, while remaining diplomatic.

Originally posted by exmike
Why would you contact them to tell them you got in somewhere else? i dont think that'll curry favor with them at all.
Can't they check where I am accepted? I don't want him to think I was lying.

Well you should assume they dont know. I dont see how you could tell them about it w/o sounding like arrogant. Just relax, this isn't something that will make or break you. Besides, I dont think VCU sent a mass mail to all 124 other schools broadcasting who they recently accepted. I'm sure pitt knows that the process is ongoing and your status will change daily.

Originally posted by exmike
Well you should assume they dont know. I dont see how you could tell them about it w/o sounding like arrogant. Just relax, this isn't something that will make or break you. Besides, I dont think VCU sent a mass mail to all 124 other schools broadcasting who they recently accepted. I'm sure pitt knows that the process is ongoing and your status will change daily.

You right. Thanks for your help.:horns:

Don't worry guys, I really dont' think that it has much of an impact on admissions decisions. I was asked the question at Pitt by the dean of admissions, and I told him honestly, and mentioned a few "top 10" schools. He told me that I wasn't going to end up at Pitt, and we actually argued about it for a while. But I got an acceptance from them.

I was also asked about it at Einstein, and I bluntly told my interviewer not only where else I had applied, but also where else I had already been accepted. And I also got accepted.

So I really don't think that it matters much...