Dear Seniors, I would greatly appreciate any help

Started by syhan0920
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

syhan0920

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dear seniors,
I am posting on behalf of my dad who wishes to goto the US to study in dental school. He has been practicing OMFS in South Korea. Honestly, neither him nor I have any idea on how to approach this. So far I found out that he needs to take the TOEFL, NBDE I/II exam and fill out an application. Here is what I would like to know: 1) Do most people(international dentists) who apply have received a US permanent residentship? 2) For people who have specialized in ortho, endo, os etc in their own respective countries, after graduating from D-school, in order to keep on doing specialty practice, do they enroll in a 2-/4-year program again to get a specialty certificate again? 3) Is it true that you need at least a permanent resident to apply for a specialty program?

Thank you in advance. Your answers are much appreciated.
 
I will try answer you questions:
1- You don't have to be a permanent resident to apply to an International program to get DDS or DMD. However, this depends on the school that you intend to apply to, Some of them require a permanent residency status while others don't require that. Of course if you are a permanent resident in USA you will have more options and less competition.

2- Yes, You need to finish an accredited program in USA or Canada to be able to practice specialty. Specialty degrees from outside of USA and Canada are not accredited and not recognized.

3- No, you don't need permanent residency to apply for specialty program. Again this depends on the school, Some of the require GC while other don't, All of the OMFS programs that I know require citizenship or GC to apply , I don't know if there are some don't ask for that.

I hope this will help 🙂.



.
 
Last edited:
I will try answer you questions:
1- You don't have to be a permanent resident to apply to an International program to get DDS or DMD. However, this depends on the school that you intend to apply to, Some of them require a permanent residency status while others don't require that. Of course if you are a permanent resident in USA you will have more options and less competition.

2- Yes, You need to finish an accredited program in USA or Canada to be able to practice specialty. Specialty degrees from outside of USA and Canada are not accredited and not recognized.

3- No, you don't need permanent residency to apply for specialty program. Again this depends on the school, Some of the require GC while other don't, All of the OMFS programs that I know require citizenship or GC to apply , I don't know if there are some don't ask for that.

I hope this will help 🙂.



I would like to add an option for the second question here; he can also directly enroll into some of specialty programs in US without DDS/DMD but they do have many limitations, which I am not sure about. So would suggest inquiring about this if interested !!!
Thanks & good luck !!!