Dearth of Interviews?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MdPhDtomo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

It's November. I've only had three interview invites so far. One school let me know I was one of their top applicants. But no news from them either. I'm getting super worried. Isn't there supposed to be a peak in interview invites around late October/early November?

-Worried about Tomo

Members don't see this ad.

Clarification - I got two of the invites back in Sept and one in early Oct. Since then I've had no news whatsoever. (two MSTP, one MD/PhD so far)

This is great news for me because half my secondaries aren't even in yet. /sarcasm

By the way, don't they give you dates to pick for interview when they invite you to interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
i am guessing the top applicant thing came from northwestern? they seem to send that out to many people...

otherwise, stop worrying and just be patient. some schools hasn't gotten back for almost two months already, but they will eventually. they're just slow.

otherwise, stop worrying and just be patient. some schools hasn't gotten back for almost two months already, but they will eventually. they're just slow.

This.
When I applied many moons ago, I turned my application in on the late side (AMCAS opened Aug 1 or something and I had them in by the end of that first month). I applied to 18 programs. By early November I had exactly one interview scheduled (for later that month). I ended up going on 12 interviews, and rejected interview offers from 3 other programs.

So chillax.

Yea the top applicant thing was from Northwestern. But I still haven't herad from them... I would find it very strange that a school would tell you they're extremely impressed by your academic credentials and that you're one of their top applicants and yet not invite your for an interview. Anyone else get this email from Northwestern and not receive an interview invite?

Ok well heard back from another MSTP this past week so it seems like the ball is rolling.

yeah--sorry to say, but I received that top applicant email from Northwestern early in september and this week I was notified that I wont be invited to interview.

hope you have better luck.

yeah--sorry to say, but I received that top applicant email from Northwestern early in september and this week I was notified that I wont be invited to interview.

hope you have better luck.

whew! thank goodness i didn't apply to northwestern :p

i'm also worried because i don't have *as many* interview invites as some other folks. right now i have 1 mstp interview, went on an md/phd interview, and have a few md only interviews lined up (took the suggestion of some members and others who know me to take those md only...)

i was really surprised to have the mstp interview, i honestly thought i wasn't going to get anywhere with my stats...but it would be nice to have a few more hehe...would having 2 md/phd, 2 md only invites at this point be considered a sufficient amount of interviews for someone with cumGPA less than 3.5 (postbacc GPA was really high though, 3.96), and an mcat of 32?

good luck to everyone this cycle...here's hoping that we'll all end up somewhere where we'll be happy! :laugh:

Ditto. I was super disappointed about it, too, though my realistic side expected it.

Yea good luck to everyone!
To some posters above...I find it hard to believe that Northwestern would send out an email like that and then reject people from interviews. I'm sure you guys will hear great news from other schools. Still no news from NW for me. But aren't those emails misleading then? Even insincere (Could it be that they send these out to encourage secondary applications so they could reach the 500+ applicant quota they noted in the email)?

Anyways, I checked with another MD/PhD applicant and she said she's only gotten four interview invites so far. Looks like we're still okay. *fingers crossed*

Yea good luck to everyone!
To some posters above...I find it hard to believe that Northwestern would send out an email like that and then reject people from interviews. I'm sure you guys will hear great news from other schools. Still no news from NW for me. But aren't those emails misleading then? Even insincere (Could it be that they send these out to encourage secondary applications so they could reach the 500+ applicant quota they noted in the email)?

Anyways, I checked with another MD/PhD applicant and she said she's only gotten four interview invites so far. Looks like we're still okay. *fingers crossed*

i hope i do get some more interview invites :( seeing some people on this thread (superstars!!) with like 10 interview offers makes me happy for them, but a little sad for me haha :p what's worse is that on my last interview, one of the md phd applicants who i was talking with during dinner said she only had had 8 interview invites at that point (whereas this was my first and only one at the time!)...at pretty much all mstp schools @.@ and so i just stared at my plate and continued to eat lol

i hope i do get some more interview invites :( seeing some people on this thread (superstars!!) with like 10 interview offers makes me happy for them, but a little sad for me haha :p what's worse is that on my last interview, one of the md phd applicants who i was talking with during dinner said she only had had 8 interview invites at that point (whereas this was my first and only one at the time!)...at pretty much all mstp schools @.@ and so i just stared at my plate and continued to eat lol

You should be rooting for those other people with lots of interviews. If this girl is a superstar and gets 8 interviews I'd be hoping she gets accepted to all of them! She can only go one place meaning the rest of those schools need to go further down their list and give out more acceptances and possibly more interviews! So hang in there and good luck

You should be rooting for those other people with lots of interviews. If this girl is a superstar and gets 8 interviews I'd be hoping she gets accepted to all of them! She can only go one place meaning the rest of those schools need to go further down their list and give out more acceptances and possibly more interviews! So hang in there and good luck

keyword is possibly :p heh i do hope that the applicants with many interviews can get in, but the reality is that those with higher stats will end up having 10+ interviews, and they will only end up going to one place - so what about the guy who is a mid-tier, not too weak to reject but not too good to interview? it's too late to give out the interview spot now that the superstar had already taken it :/ eh it's not a rant but i did realize going in that my numbers weren't strong at all (per Neuronix's sticky) but i went with my gut feeling with what i feel i'd be happiest doing

i just hope i end up somewhere with where i'll be happy when next year rolls around...:xf:

yup good luck to u as well, and congrats on the early acceptance! i can't fathom how relieved u must feel now that u know at least u'll start somewhere come august

i just received a mstp interview like 4 days ago, really hoping to receive some more. My mcat verbal (<8) kinda screwed me over for this cycle. gl everyone.

+1, ppl here sometimes make me feel like I'm really, really dumb LOL