Early interviews question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaGhost

Reaction score
Someone on Reddit posted a thread claiming that early interviews are given to really good applicants, but also really bad applicants who are used to train interviewers. Is there any truth to that?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Someone on Reddit posted a thread claiming that early interviews are given to really good applicants, but also really bad applicants who are used to train interviewers. Is there any truth to that?

Why would a school waste resources interviewing "bad" applicants? If extended an interview, you're being considered for admission.

Reactions: 1 users
Admissions interviews are time consuming enough without adding "bad" applicants to train new faculty. New faculty ten to think all MSTP applicants are great, so we apply a degree of skepticism to their assessments.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely not true but a scary thought when you already have some degree of imposter syndrome xD

Reactions: 1 user
Admissions interviews are time consuming enough without adding "bad" applicants to train new faculty. New faculty ten to think all MSTP applicants are great, so we apply a degree of skepticism to their assessments.

That's interesting. I had a professor who occasionally reviews MD/PhD applicants tell me, "everyone I interview seems like a strong candidate, but how I score them on the evaluation doesn't seem to correlate with whether they're admitted or not."

at my school all the interviewers evaluate applicants, but generally only the MSTP director and adcom member interviews are weighed heavily for admissions decisions.