Debating between Princeton Review or Kaplan.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyRaB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me.

I'm debating between Kaplan or Princeton study prep-courses. I work very well in classroom settings (I could easily study independantly, but I feel being in a structured classroom setting will benefit my study habits).

What are their differences in terms of the content they give and the level of difficulty of questions? Which one gives you harder, practice tests actually geared towards the MCAT? These prep course are expensive and I don't want to waste my money.

Also, in terms of my knowledge, I'd like to say I'm knowledgeable. There are just concepts I really need to re-learn and get rid of the rust on other things. This is why I want to take the prep courses. I have a pretty good science foundation.... Would TBR suit me better for that?

My last, and probably most important question, is have any of you taken a prep course (Say princeton), but also used a different book at the same time during your studies? Because I'm leaning towards Princeton, and thinking about using E.K. as my "review book" as it'll be more organized, and I've heard its an easier book.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Classroom is a waste imo, unless you need the structure. I really, really liked TBR and I would recommend it to anyone preparing for the MCAT. It helped me in areas that I was already pretty good at and really helped me in areas I was very weak in (all of physics). On SDN I've heard good things about TPR, and only bad things about Kaplan (though I know quite a few people who got 30+ with Kaplan).

I agree classroom is a major waste of time. Driving to the location, driving home, sitting through stupid questions... not worth it at all

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to start the SN2ed method (see Sticky section above) which involves mostly the BR books. Why drive to classes and spend all that money when you can concentrate on your weak points and go at it in your own way without having to accommodate the teacher and other students. That's my philosophy anyway. I think for at-home material, TPRH is better than Kaplan, and TBR and EK are better than Kaplan, too, according to opinions I've read.

Someone asked what class their girlfriend should take and I said the following, it seems to apply to your thread too.

Not all classes are awful. The Kaplan MCAT Advanced - Anywhere (online) is really good. You first have to score a 27+ on the diagnostic or a previous MCAT. So I think because of that the class ends up being much better than the regular course. The assigned instructors are really on top of it (my main one is brilliant, we had a sub once and he was awesome too) and because the students generally know what's going on with the material and are motivated to do well the class doesn't lag for silly questions. There's extra material that we go over in class that is not available to the regular course. All in all I would definitely recommend it. Enrolling in the class alone isn't going to give you a great score, you have to still keep up and be motivated, but the class is definitely good.

I've taken both TPR and done TBR. I took the class of TPR. Um...I'll let you know how it is after my MCAT, but we had great teachers--except Verbal, but how do you teach Verbal and Writing? Our Physics, Bio, Orgo(meh), GChem teachers were great. So it depends on teacher. Material wise? Hell yeah, it's good because it's the basicest of material. TBR confuses the **** out of me sometimes, but it's HELLA good--if you're going to do TPR you must also do TBR, it's the perfect complement.

BUMP

I am developing a strategy for a re-take any insight for those who self-studied and then went for a class?

Thanks!
I self studied and had a hard time staying on track since I was so rusty academically. Got a 26.

Did PR class in person. Provided accountability, someone to ask help from, extra practice tests and lots of resources (extra passages online, lots of HW problems). The course felt like a full load of classes, around 50+ hours a week doing all the reading, HW, class time and practice tests. Got a 38.

It is a personal thing and definitely depends on where you are at academically and as a standardized test taker. While driving I listened to EK Audio Osmosis on repeat. I liked attending class to hear other explanations and perspectives. So, for me, it was all worth it. (if you do sign up for a course, look for specials. I signed up for my course when they offered a $500 IPAD rebate!)