Debating MPH vs PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Policyplatapus

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm considering applying to MPH programs or PhD programs; both would be in health policy & management. However, I have some inner turmoil regarding which I should pursue. Online, I see many posts arguing that a master's degree is essentially required for public health PhD programs. However, a couple of mentors of mine have suggested that, considering my stats and experiences, I should skip the MPH and aim for the PhD. According to them, the first 2 years of a PhD offer learning that meets (and exceeds) that in an MPH.

For more context, here are my stats:
Undergrad: Top Liberal Arts
Undergrad Major: Public Health, Minor in Philosophy
Undergrad GPA: 3.85
Graduate: N/A
GRE: 165V, 161M, 5.5AW
Experiences:
- 1 summer wet lab chemistry research
- 2.5 years conducting community health research at a university research lab
- 1 year working on editorial board of an undergraduate journal (peer-reviewed) of health, ethics, and policy
- 1 semester working at a well-known health policy research institute
- 1 semester TAing a relevant upper-level public health course
- undergraduate thesis in public health (qualitative primary data collection) -- one of 1st author publications
- 2 years (at time of predicted matriculation) doing policy analysis at DC health policy think tank
- 7 publications: 5 from research lab (1 first author), 1 (first author) from thesis, 1 from undergraduate journal

Recs: 1 from thesis advisor, very strong; 1 from PI of lab/mentor where I worked for 2.5 yrs, very strong, 1 from PI at policy research institute, 1 from health policy think tank supervisor, strong
Public Health Interests: I'm very interested in ensuring accessible, high-quality care. However, my interests have shifted away from inter/intrapersonal determinants of care quality and toward structural/organizational determinants. In my last few years of undergrad I delved deeper into health economics, and have continued some work at the intersection of econ, health policy, and quality.
Considering: Harvard, Yale, Columbia, JHU, UNC are the big ones. MPH or PhD in health policy & management at all.

What do you all think? This sort of transitioned into a chance me (apologies for that) but considering my experiences, do you think an MPH would be worthwhile before eventually getting the PhD? or do I stand a chance at going straight for the PhD? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.