Decapitation homicide cases, STATISTICS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lennie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is there any statistics available of decapitation in homicide cases, reporting where in cervical vertebrae the decapitations occured? That is, how many was decapitated between C1-C2, C2-C3 and so on.
Something like this study of some decapitation homicide cases in India
http://scidoc.org/IJFP-2332-287X-03-401.php
but from the USA or European countries?

Members don't see this ad.

The two journals to search would be American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology (the 'Orange Journal') or Journal of Forensic Sciences (JFS). If such a study exists, that's where you'd find it. I'm not aware of such a study, and I imagine it would be extremely hard for even the largest offices in North America or Europe to get enough decapitation cases for even a small case series. But let us know if I'm wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
The two journals to search would be American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology (the 'Orange Journal') or Journal of Forensic Sciences (JFS). If such a study exists, that's where you'd find it. I'm not aware of such a study, and I imagine it would be extremely hard for even the largest offices in North America or Europe to get enough decapitation cases for even a small case series. But let us know if I'm wrong.

Thanks. Found a couple of older studies from Europe with 20-30 cases each, but I'm not sure they are covering my specific question about cervical vertebrae. We'll see.