Decelerate M2 year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deebs1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
TLDR: Could I still match with an LOA and a decelerated M2 year if I'm otherwise good?

Hi.

I am finishing my M1 year after taking an LOA between 1st and 2nd semesters for a vascular lesion on my brain. But mostly for severe depression after an assault (& had surgery on my leg).

I got multiple opinions on the brain thing, but surgeons left it alone. Still, I've been having headaches in that spot daily for 6 months and think it may need to come out soon. I also think it's causing some cognitive/mood issues. (New MRI next week).

I'm HIGHLY interested in neurology and am pretty good at research. I should have quite a few publications by graduation.

But I've done marginally throughout the entire year, and may have to take a remediation exam this summer for a small course. One of our classmates died of an overdose and I really lost it that week. My father (a physician) died this way too.

This made me realize that I value my safety and long-term well-being much more than what others (even PDs) might think of my odd journey. I am in touch with our school's office about accommodations, and am highly considering petitioning to spread out my M2 curriculum over two years with research. This is not something they formally offer, but I'm told might be possible.

I think I could mayyyybe keep up with the M2 curriculum, but it could also be a train wreck. I could prepare infinitely better longitudinally for Step and my future on multiple levels by decompressing that year. It really feels worth it.

Honestly, even if it hurt my application by over 75%, I'd still do it. I also want to increase mental health resources for students at my school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi deebs, I'm really sorry to hear about what's been going on; that sounds very rough! Kudos for you for getting through some of the most challenging parts of it already! Unfortunately, as I'm sure you've realized, there will be some bumps along the way, but hopefully you can get through it all and everyone in your life will be very supportive. In terms of your medical condition, I hope you have taken enough time off in order to help your brain re-heal. Sometimes it can take more than a few months (which it sounds like is all you may have taken off)? Perhaps you should also consider joining some support groups online for people with brain injuries/affected brain health (which is what it sounds like you had-- perhaps some TBI online support groups, because I can imagine this period must be very rough). Brain-injuries are often considered "invisible disabilities" so sometimes it can be difficult for others to understand what you're going through or how to best support you, which is why joining some support groups may be a great idea. I would also advise you that things can seem "overwhelming" going back into medical school, but my guess is you will likely be able to take on M2 substantially better than you fear. Also remember that you basically made it through M1 year (that nightmare), so more power to you!

I don't think your condition would limit your residency possibilities, even with a M2 extension over 2 years if you can come out strong your step1/third/fourth year. Just explain that a medical diagnosis slowed you down perhaps if you need to when you apply for residency, but that's taken care of (if it is). I also believe there are a good number of medical students with different diagnoses (some new during their M1 year like yourself) and a number of them have accommodations (kept btw. them and their counselor/dean) and can hopefully give you tons of advice if you can find them. I don't think neurology is supposed to be terribly difficult to match into, especially if you cast a wide net applying.

Best of luck!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Tick-tock, you are such an amazing human being. This response means so much to me (and obviously I'll follow up rigorously with all the right people at my school, etc).

Wow, I'm always amazed by how supportive this community can be. It's just not the feeling I always get in this field. This journey can be really lonely sometimes, and it's hard to know where to turn.

Are you a psychiatrist? A family doc? I should PM you, just because I'm keen to know. Thanks for giving me warm fuzzies.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should absolutely take the time. It's not even a question.

Far easier to explain some extra time leading to success than it is to justify failure. So long as you're ultimately successful then I think it's a moot point.

The only caveat I can think of is that some schools have stipulations in their rules about how many years you have to complete the program. I think 6 years is generally the maximum (with special exemptions made for md/phd of course). My back of the napkin math says you'll be close to that. What if there's another delay? A step or shelf failure? I would make sure to ask these questions in advance.

Reactions: 1 users
The only caveat I can think of is that some schools have stipulations in their rules about how many years you have to complete the program. I think 6 years is generally the maximum (with special exemptions made for md/phd of course). My back of the napkin math says you'll be close to that. What if there's another delay? A step or shelf failure? I would make sure to ask these questions in advance.

Yes to the 6 year max, but depending on the school OP should be able to get an exemption to the 6-year rule due to the reasons that caused the deceleration. Not 100% sure about that, but I've seen it happen multiple times.

Reactions: 1 users
I work with a neurologist who took one year off between M2-M3. She disguised it as a research year, but confessed it was mostly time to spend with her husband, who had leukemia and later passed away during her M3. I'm not sure if she felt she closed any doors by doing that research year (the research she did was unrelated, in pathology), but I could tell it was extremely important to her to have the extra time. I doubt she carries regrets.

People often cite that medical training is a marathon, not a sprint, and it sounds like you know you need to slow down and re-pace yourself, if your school is accommodating enough. You're wise to listen to your own needs-- After all, you're a human being before all else. You, your loved ones, and your patients will thank you later.

I keep a piece of art stating "cura te ipsum" on my wall -- latin rephrasing of "physician, heal thyself" (aka. Take good care of yourself so you can take good care of others). The importance of this can't be understated.

Wishing you a swift medical recovery and a safe, successful path through med school!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile