This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChillCops!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those in a similar situation, or reapplicants who have experienced this before, what does it mean to not hear back from schools today? In cases like mine where GPA isn't all that impressive, is "no news good news?" Or is it essentially a rejection?

I woke up at 6:30am like most of you probably and was immediately expecting 11 rejection emails. Schools I applied to, such as Michigan, UDM, Marquette, UNE, and BU, have sent out majority of their acceptances and some people have been waitlisted... stuff you all know. I have only received one rejection so far, from UConn, but honestly just wish the rest of these schools would do me the courtesy of a denial. I just want to rip it off like a bandaid if I don't actually have a shot.

So, let me know what you guys think. Should I be moving on to the next step in life or wait for an official rejection from these schools? And what is your take on the "no news is good news" philosophy?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those in a similar situation, or reapplicants who have experienced this before, what does it mean to not hear back from schools today? In cases like mine where GPA isn't all that impressive, is "no news good news?" Or is it essentially a rejection?

I woke up at 6:30am like most of you probably and was immediately expecting 11 rejection emails. Schools I applied to, such as Michigan, UDM, Marquette, UNE, and BU, have sent out majority of their acceptances and some people have been waitlisted... stuff you all know. I have only received one rejection so far, from UConn, but honestly just wish the rest of these schools would do me the courtesy of a denial. I just want to rip it off like a bandaid if I don't actually have a shot.

So, let me know what you guys think. Should I be moving on to the next step in life or wait for an official rejection from these schools? And what is your take on the "no news is good news" philosophy?

Lots of students get in on post-December interviews - if you're still in this position come March then its time to prepare for another application cycle. As long as you don't have a rejection notice, it isn't over. You still have lots of time to hear back.

Reactions: 1 users

First of all, stay positive. It's just day one of many. I have friends who no joke got accepted days before the semester started this past cycle. Not saying it will take that long, but one can only imagine their state of mind.

Keep your head up! I wish you all the best!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similar situation and wanted to ask if it is appropriate to send schools letters of intent after today and just update them on my application? There's 10 schools I haven't heard anything from.

I mean do schools usually wait a while to send rejections like this? It seems kind of cruel. Few of the school specific threads seem to have any rejections... so did @oberman1, others, and I dodge a bullet today by not being rejected, or will our emails be filled in the near future regardless?

I'm in a similar situation and wanted to ask if it is appropriate to send schools letters of intent after today and just update them on my application? There's 10 schools I haven't heard anything from.

Personally, I would. I'm not sure about the consensus here on SDN, but I'm certain schools won't throw your application away if you send an update. Some may appreciate your perseverance and give your application more priority for review.

Reactions: 2 users
Schools I applied to, such as Michigan, UDM, Marquette, UNE, and BU, have sent out majority of their acceptances and some people have been waitlisted... stuff you all know. I have only received one rejection so far, from UConn, but honestly just wish the rest of these schools would do me the courtesy of a denial. I just want to rip it off like a bandaid if I don't actually have a shot.
Those schools have given a comparably large number of post-December interviews and acceptances in the past...don't worry. If you applied over the summer, they would have rejected you by now if the committees weren't still considering your application.

Few of the school specific threads seem to have any rejections... so did @oberman1, others, and I dodge a bullet today by not being rejected, or will our emails be filled in the near future regardless?
Selection bias.

Lots of students get in on post-December interviews - if you're still in this position come March then its time to prepare for another application cycle. As long as you don't have a rejection notice, it isn't over. You still have lots of time to hear back.

But if we don't do anything until March and never hear back, wouldn't it be too late to improve your app before the next cycle opens up on June 1?

But if we don't do anything until March and never hear back, wouldn't it be too late to improve your app before the next cycle opens up on June 1?

I am personally preparing for next cycle by increasing my shadowing and volunteer hours but I still have hope for this cycle. It's better to improve your application and get in this cycle than be unprepared for next cycle.

By prepare for another cycle I mean more along the lines of arranging for LoRs, retaking the DAT, etc. Doing more volunteering and such is always a good idea regardless of acceptance status imo.

Just my two cents, try doing something other than those standard things. I'm not saying that's wrong or don't do them, they're all great! Doing something non-conventional (yet dentistry related) will make you stand out among applicants, whereas doing those things are somewhat "cookie-cutter." Either way, I hope the best for you all, and no matter what you do, just give 110%!

Just my two cents, try doing something other than those standard things. I'm not saying that's wrong or don't do them, they're all great! Doing something non-conventional (yet dentistry related) will make you stand out among applicants, whereas doing those things are somewhat "cookie-cutter." Either way, I hope the best for you all, and no matter what you do, just give 110%!

I agree 100%, I just personally am short on shadowing hours (35 when I sent my application out, Been kicking myself for months). I believe if you have over 100 or so that adding additional shadowing hours will have little effect and as you said doing something "non-conventional" will help make an impression. All the best!

A

Any ideas? What is considered nonstandard for dental schools?

Making a non-dentistry passion relevant to dentistry is non-standard. Just as an example, have you ever heard of the singing dentist? Pretty cool stuff.

I met someone at an interview that was incredible with computers, and he had written a dental program. Have a non-science major? Apply it to a cool research project. How about a fundraiser or educational pursuit for a sport you play? Set up an event with the hockey team to promote oral hygiene, and good mouth guards. Really it can be anything, even if you think it seems silly at first. What I'd consider non-traditional for myself is my marketing background, how I used to have a non-dentistry website, but I took those skills and made it a dentistry related one. It can be anything you find relevant, it's always a breath of fresh air to adcoms to read an application with something new. At not one of my interviews was I not asked about my marketing work, and I didnt even have a chance usually (in a good way) to talk about some of my "standard" pre-dental stuff. I only mention my particular case as another example, not because I think it in particular something everyone should do or anything. Just do what you love, and do it well! People will love it.

Making a non-dentistry passion relevant to dentistry is non-standard. Just as an example, have you ever heard of the singing dentist? Pretty cool stuff.

I met someone at an interview that was incredible with computers, and he had written a dental program. Have a non-science major? Apply it to a cool research project. How about a fundraiser or educational pursuit for a sport you play? Set up an event with the hockey team to promote oral hygiene, and good mouth guards. Really it can be anything, even if you think it seems silly at first. What I'd consider non-traditional for myself is my marketing background, how I used to have a non-dentistry website, but I took those skills and made it a dentistry related one. It can be anything you find relevant, it's always a breath of fresh air to adcoms to read an application with something new. At not one of my interviews was I not asked about my marketing work, and I didnt even have a chance usually (in a good way) to talk about some of my "standard" pre-dental stuff. I only mention my particular case as another example, not because I think it in particular something everyone should do or anything. Just do what you love, and do it well! People will love it.

Thanks for your reply.:) I really like the way you think! I'll need to figure out something after I retake the DAT. 2 out of 4 schools haven't rejected me yet though, so we'll see what happens; I might get lucky!

I hope that's the case! Best of luck.

I wouldn't worry if you don't have some crazy skill like I had mentioned, or don't have the most unique background ever. Even if you do the standard joining a club and volunteering; own it. Do the volunteering and then some, get more involved then the norm. Create a fundraiser for that organization and raise the most money for your school's largest fundraising event. At my undergrad, this was dance marathon. Just find a way to make yourself stand out by thinking outside the box. Hope that helps!