Decent GPA..but I have 2 F's on my transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ishpharm

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of applying to pharmacy school now. My biggest concerns are the amount of W's I have on my transcript. I'm the first person in my family to go to college so I didn't have a lot of guidance from my family. Freshmen year I registered for classes that were under the same category so I ended up dropping multiple classes my first year.

My junior year I was going through a lot of family and personal issues. My grades that semester were HORRIBLE. I think I ended up with a 1 F, 2 C's and 1 B. That was the worst semester of my life. First time I ever failed a class in my life.

Then last spring I earned my second F in Biochemistry II. I don't have an excuse for that class because I truly just gave up, and I am retaking the class.

I have a 3.2 gpa..just don't know if this is going to make me look really bad. I am retaking the 2 classes I failed.

Members don't see this ad.

PharmCAS averages out all of your grades so those classes will have an impact on your GPA as reported by PharmCAS. The schools you apply to may look at GPA differently.

I am in the process of applying to pharmacy school now. My biggest concerns are the amount of W's I have on my transcript. I'm the first person in my family to go to college so I didn't have a lot of guidance from my family. Freshmen year I registered for classes that were under the same category so I ended up dropping multiple classes my first year.

My junior year I was going through a lot of family and personal issues. My grades that semester were HORRIBLE. I think I ended up with a 1 F, 2 C's and 1 B. That was the worst semester of my life. First time I ever failed a class in my life.

Then last spring I earned my second F in Biochemistry II. I don't have an excuse for that class because I truly just gave up, and I am retaking the class.

I have a 3.2 gpa..just don't know if this is going to make me look really bad. I am retaking the 2 classes I failed.

As for the actual GPA goes, I think 3.2 is fine. You could explain what happened during your junior year when you were running into family problems/personal issues. I think it would be wise to explain somewhere in your personal statement or supplemental application (if the prompt is appropriate) about what you learned as a result of failing the biochem class. You have to somehow convince the committee that you won't "just give up" in pharmacy school. Did you take the PCAT? or are you planning to? How about pharmacy experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 2 years of pharmacy experience, and I will be taking the PCAT January 2017.

I have a few F's too LOL first yr of college I was 17 when I entered. That is the same yr my father dies so that took its damage on me mentally so I fully understand But I did take them over with all A's so hopefully that counts. I don't think we will be the only ones with F's things happen in life, its all about picking yourself up and moving forward.