DO Decent Stats, Lots of Clinical Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medbae77

Reaction score
State/Country of Residence: Florida, USA

Ties to other States/Regions: Arizona.

URM? (Y/N): N

Year in School: Graduated.

Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Chemistry.

Cumulative GPA: 3.8

Science GPA: 3.6

MCAT Score(s): 508

Research Experience: Yes.

Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. first author, second author, etc.): None.

Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): 9000+ hours as an EMT.

Physician Shadowing: 60 hours.

Non-Clinical Volunteering: Around 1,000 hours.

Other Employment History: I worked 20 - 30 hours for 5 out of 8 of my undergrad semesters.

Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): No.

Specialty of Interest (if applicable): OB-GYN

Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): YES!

First Generation? Yes.

I am from a small town.

Medical School List: LECOM-B (DO school Bradenton Florida), Nova Southeastern University College Of Osteopathic Medicine.

Is there a way to sign a letter of intent early on in the application process?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you want to stay in Florida you could also receive interviews at MD schools including Florida State, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Central Florida and NOVA MD.

State/Country of Residence: Florida, USA

Ties to other States/Regions: Graduated from college at Oklahoma State University, but have lived and worked in Florida for over a year.

URM? (Y/N): White, Female.

Year in School: Graduated in 2020.

Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Biology.

Cumulative GPA: 3.73

Science GPA: 3.68

MCAT Score(s): 506. 125/126/125/130

Research Experience: Worked for two years in the lab of a well known neuroscientist and did independent study for a semester of that. Never published or worked on a paper, mostly assisted lab manager with dissecting, caring for mice etc.

Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. first author, second author, etc.): None.

Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): 9000+ hours as an EMT for an IFT company.

Physician Shadowing: Right around 60 hours. OB-GYN. Wound Care. Primary Care. Pediatrics. Internal Medicine.

Non-Clinical Volunteering: Around 1,000 hours. I have volunteered as an EMT for my University. I also have about 700 hours (or will by the time I attend medical school) as a Sexual Assault Victim Advocate (SAVS); this entails interceding for rape victims undergoing rape exams & empowering them to regain control of their life.

Other Employment History: I worked 20 - 30 hours for 5 out of 8 of my undergrad semesters. First as a server, then once I became an EMT I did first response at the Thunder NBA stadium.

Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): No.

Specialty of Interest (if applicable): OB-GYN

Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): YES!

First Generation? Mother has a GED, Father got an associates once I went to college. Was raised by my Great Aunt and Uncle for the latter part of my life. Uncle has a GED. Aunt has a Masters in teaching.

I am from a small, rural town.

Medical School List: LECOM-B (DO school Bradenton Florida), Nova Southeastern University College Of Osteopathic Medicine.

My boyfriend and I would like to get engaged soon, & he is currently a firefighter in Florida - it is difficult to obtain a job at a strong department so I am hoping to attend these specific DO schools so that he can retain his job. I love the DO philosophy and all of my DO mentors which is the reason I have chosen Osteopathy. Furthermore, I come from humble beginnings but appreciate the adversity in my youth because it made me a stronger and more compassionate human. Also, I will be applying to many DO schools but the above listed are simply the ones I most desire to attend.

Is there a way to sign a letter of intent early on in the application process?
Look up each school for early decision programs. I think typically it's only MD schools that do this, but maybe NOVA or LECOM has something like it. I feel like you might have a chance at FSU early decision, if you do not plan on applying to any other MD school you might as well try. the problem with the early decision is you can only apply to that one school until you get a decision. Overall I think it is unwise to only apply to 2 schools, every year the pool of applicants gets bigger and more competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Look up each school for early decision programs. I think typically it's only MD schools that do this, but maybe NOVA or LECOM has something like it. I feel like you might have a chance at FSU early decision, if you do not plan on applying to any other MD school you might as well try. the problem with the early decision is you can only apply to that one school until you get a decision. Overall I think it is unwise to only apply to 2 schools, every year the pool of applicants gets bigger and more competitive.
That’s good advice for FSU, I will look into it. Can I still apply to DO if I do early decision at an MD? Also I am applying to many DO schools, these are just the ones I am highly interested in.

Last edited:
That’s good advice for FSU, I will look into it. Can I still apply to DO if I do early decision at an MD? Also I am applying to many DO schools, these are just the ones I am highly interested in. I was just curious my chances are to get into them in the opinion of someone more experienced then me. Also thank you for you help!
Since it's different application services, yes you can, since MD schools can not see DO school applications. So it wouldn't hurt your DO chances to just throw that app to FSU. And great you should get at the very least a DO acceptance! Good luck

Also ACOM is only a 5 hour drive from Orlando Florida. 👀👀👀👀

Goodluck.