Deceptive "Optional" AAPM&R Dues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ampaphb

Interventional Spine
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really annoyed that the Academy is slipping a $50 "optional" charge onto this year's bill for dues. Unless your staff notices the asterisk, it seems to me they will undoubtedly just pay the amount listed as "total", which seems incredibly deceptive for an organization that claims to be ethical.

Fully 1/3 of the page is all about encouraging you to donate. If you aren't careful, this strikes me as analogous to the restaurant bill where they include the tip in the total - you will give $50 more than you intended.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really annoyed that the Academy is slipping a $50 "optional" charge onto this year's bill for dues. Unless your staff notices the asterisk, it seems to me they will undoubtedly just pay the amount listed as "total", which seems incredibly deceptive for an organization that claims to be ethical.

Fully 1/3 of the page is all about encouraging you to donate. If you aren't careful, this strikes me as analogous to the restaurant bill where they include the tip in the total - you will give $50 more than you intended.

I believe they've been doing it for a couple years now. First time I figured it out after getting a letter thanking me for my $50 donation to the Foundation.

I believe they've been doing it for a couple years now. First time I figured it out after getting a letter thanking me for my $50 donation to the Foundation.

Wrote an e-mail to [email protected]

To Whom It May Concern,

About once a month or so I receive a letter asking for ‘important dues’ that are for the optional Foundation for PMR. While the Foundation’s purpose is no doubt honorable, the means by which the Academy is asking for the money from its members appears deceptive to me and not befitting the mission. It is in my mind no better than the tricks that cheap mail order outfits use to gouge consumers.

To be a better organization I would recommend changing your marketing strategy. This type of current strategy does NOT improve trust and transparency between the Academy and its fellow members.

Respectfully yours,