Decided Late on Endocrine. Can I still Match in NY with Low Scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teleblockop

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I am a PGY2 who has decided late to go for endocrine. I'm at a IM residency in northeast getting ready to apply this summer. However, I just got involved in research and hope to get a poster in these next few months.

US MD at a low/midtier university IM program.
My scores: STEP 1: 218, STEP 2: 236. STEP 3: 225.
Research: Basic science pub in med school. Hopefully 1 endocrine poster in a few months

I do have an in house endocrine program at my institution but because of personal and family reasons, I would like to ideally match to NY, so I plan on just applying to these programs.

-NYU
-Cornell
-Hofstra Northwell
-Hofstra Lenox Hill
-Winthrop
-Mount Sinai
-Stony Brook

Do you all think it is a long shot for me to match applying to only 7 programs with those stats? I would be more than happy going to any of the programs.

How competitive are the Long island programs (Hofstra Northwell, Winthrop, and Stony Brook) in particular?

Would appreciate any thoughts or advice.

NYU, Mt Sinai, and Cornell (in that order) are very competitive so may be difficult even from a US school...ADA may be accepting abstracts still and AACE late breaking (though the deadline is soon i think)... ASBMR and ATA are later in the year (sept and Oct) so posters then would be during interview season.

You may want to consider extending your reach into NJ and CT.

Endo Society, AACE, and ADA are meeting in March, April, and June, respectively...good place to meet people (esp PDs at Endo since the PD meeting is held at Endo).

Good Luck!