Decided to wait out this application cycle.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SB720

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been going back and forth on it and I really want to present the best application that I can. I need to build the ECs and my gpa needs to come up a bit more.

Currently, I have a 2.94 cGPA and sGPA 3.81/4.0 (unsure if 2 "science" classes are going to count as science or regular humanities courses). I am enrolled in summer classes right now and while I am pretty confident that I'll pull out As - which will bring me to a 3.04 - those grades won't come back until the beginning of August.

Now, the question is: should I continue taking classes this coming year to boost my GPA? I calculated that 32 credits at 4.0 would bring me to cGPA 3.13 and sGPA 3.89. Will this boost make that much of a difference? I am taking courses at a private university so the expense is high, plus, I am really starting to burn out. I was very much looking forward to being done this summer and having some time off.

Members don't see this ad.

A 2.94 won't get you in anywhere. A 3.13 will be difficult at best.

Where are you looking to apply eventually? MD? DO? Caribbean?

I have an MCAT score of 40, so I am hoping that may help me out some. I am planning on applying to MD programs in the U.S.

Members don't see this ad :)
A high MCAT will not make up for such a low GPA. It actually tends to raise some red flags.

There was actually someone who had a similar low GPA, an MCAT way up there, and had created an industry standard test for cancer --- he didn't get in. THREE TIMES he didn't get in. And he had outstanding other ECs and was a really really nice guy too.

But you can certainly try. I would keep working on raising my GPA however, in case you don't get in.

Good luck.

Well, the composition and recentness of the GPA may have been his downfall. If he was coming straight out of undergrad with that GPA, that sounds completely natural. I believe there is a difference when the undergraduate work was completed a while ago and the post-bac work is at a 4.0. A high (recent) BCMP GPA, MCAT and graduate work will outweigh a low undergraduate GPA, if a sufficient amount of time has passed, at least that's what I've been advised by admissions counselors for MD schools.

I know ShyRem wasn't saying at all that a ridiculously high MCAT with a low GPA looks worse than a mediocre MCAT with a low GPA, but it sounds that way, lol.

Anyway, I really think your strong MCAT score will give you leeway to some medical schools. A 40 is nothing to scoff at, even with a 3.0ish GPA

Actually some places that's exactly it, kittee. If you have a ridiculously high mcat and a low GPA it makes them wonder if the MCAT was a fluke, are you an underachiever, do you not work at your grades, etc. Basically it makes them question if it's worth taking a risk on someone who doesn't work at their regular coursework - it makes the applicant appear lazy in some eyes. But you may get a pair of eyes that are dazzled by the 40 MCAT (most pre-med eyes are initially).

As for older coursework not counting as much - depends on who is looking at them.

I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying be prepared, keep working at improving your application, and put together a killer PS, LORs, and ECs. This is your chance to sell yourself; you have nothing but money to lose by trying. Good luck to you.

I can empathize with the feeling of burn out, but given your GPA I personally think every little bit will help. 3.13 will look better than a 3.04. The longer the string of A's at the end of your transcript the more reassured adcoms will be that your mediocre academics of the past are behind you. Definitely remember to apply EARLY and BROADLY. And if you're smart you'll make DO schools a part of your process.

Congrats on the kickin' MCAT score BTW.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.

In the past about 50% of people got in with those stats (http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table24-mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt.htm).

I agree with the general advice though; raise your GPA to above 3.0, keep working (it's not over till you have an acceptance in hand), continue to build your application etc., it's definitely not impossible to get in.

Actually some places that's exactly it, kittee. If you have a ridiculously high mcat and a low GPA it makes them wonder if the MCAT was a fluke, are you an underachiever, do you not work at your grades, etc. Basically it makes them question if it's worth taking a risk on someone who doesn't work at their regular coursework - it makes the applicant appear lazy in some eyes. But you may get a pair of eyes that are dazzled by the 40 MCAT (most pre-med eyes are initially).

As for older coursework not counting as much - depends on who is looking at them.

I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying be prepared, keep working at improving your application, and put together a killer PS, LORs, and ECs. This is your chance to sell yourself; you have nothing but money to lose by trying. Good luck to you.

I think you'll get in somewhere. Bringing the GPA up past a 3.0 is a good idea.

IMO opinion, a crazy high MCAT and a low GPA makes you look lazy. Adcoms are looking for people they think will successfully complete medical school, and in their eyes, someone that is smart enough to get a 40 MCAT but didnt put the time in undergrad to pull off more A's (especially in the "easier" non-science courses) doesnt have the discipline to read/comprehend 25,000+ pages of text during MS1, etc

At least this is my understanding...I could be wrong