Deciding between rheum and pulm crit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prn123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m an IM resident at a university-affiliated community hospital. I want to apply for fellowship, however, am torn between rheum and pulm crit. I do realize that these are two very different career paths and a lot of people would not be choosing between two of them. On the other hand, I feel that they have a lot in common: multisystem approach and diagnostic challenges.
I like that rheum has seen a lot advances recently. These days monoclonal antibodies targeting certain steps of immune response are very common therapeutic options in many conditions not only in rheum but in other fields.
At the same time, sometimes I feel that rheum may become boring over time, especially, in the outpatient setting.

I like pulm crit because it combines very interesting physiology with rapid application of your skills and assessment of the outcomes of your patients at the bedside. Pulm as a subspecialty is very complex and versatile. But some people argue that crit docs can burn out over time.
Would like to get your opinions on that? Any input from rheum fellows/attendings about the prospects of their field? Would also appreciate the same input from pulm folks..

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.