Deciding between three BS/MD programs (Union/AMC, Cincinnati, TCNJ/NJMS), any advice is appreciated!

iino

i like ya cut g
Reaction score
hey everyone, these are the three programs I'm deciding between. lmk what you think is the best option.

Union/AMC

• No MCAT
  • Maintain a 3.5
  • Receive an MBA along with my B.S.
  • 8 year program
  • Cohort size is roughly 15
  • mandatory study abroad through National Health Systems program
  • Location is not the greatest
  • Less prestigious med school (AMC is fairly low ranked on USNWR and Residency Program director surveys)
  • Small school, 2000 students
TCNJ/NJMS

• The MCAT is required, but no minimum (and multiple attempts allowed)
  • Maintain a 3.5
  • 7 year program, but I would be able to finish my UG in two years
  • Cohort size is roughly 20
  • Able to finish UG in two years w/AP credits and spend the third year doing research, internships, study abroad, 1-year MPH at Columbia, etc.
  • Many current students do research at Perelman, which is very close to TCNJ
  • Location is a plus, as Philly and NYC are located within an hour
  • Mandatory research required of all SMED students (either at TCNJ, NJMS, Perelman, or any lab)
  • Rutgers NJMS is better ranked than AMC in most regards
  • Mid-sized school, 7000 students
  • A really great social community around the program! They have a 7-year medical society that hosts social events and such to encourage comraderie among all SMED students at TCNJ. They also have an Alumni society for all TCNJ/NJMS students going back to 1991. This program has that sort of support.
Cincinnati

• 80th Percentile MCAT required in at most two attempts
  • Maintain a 3.5
  • 8 Year program
  • Cohort size is roughly 8-10
  • Cincinnati is the highest ranked out of AMC and NJMS, probably has the best facilities. It is #44 on USNWR.
  • Large school, 44000 students.
  • Not as much community in the Connections program compared to TCNJ/NJMS.
  • You can apply out (other medical schools), and still retain your spot at Cincy college of medicine!! that is actually pretty nice

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think BS/MD programs are a great value proposition for most students who get into them, but out of the three I would choose TCNJ/NJMS. TCNJ is a great college; you can have a lot of fun and graduate sooner. NJMS is definitely a way better school than Albany and can get you where you want to go for the most part.

I don't think I would under any circumstances attend an 8-year BS/MD program. Not enough benefit for the cost.

I don't think BS/MD programs are a great value proposition for most students who get into them, but out of the three I would choose TCNJ/NJMS. TCNJ is a great college; you can have a lot of fun and graduate sooner. NJMS is definitely a way better school than Albany and can get you where you want to go for the most part.

I don't think I would under any circumstances attend an 8-year BS/MD program. Not enough benefit for the cost.

what about cincinnati? i know its an eight year, but what are some of your thoughts on comparing it to tcnj/njms?

Members don't see this ad :)
what about cincinnati? i know its an eight year, but what are some of your thoughts on comparing it to tcnj/njms?
I don't know enough about it to comment meaningfully. All I know is Cincinnati is a big university, the med school is decent, and there's a great children's hospital there.

BTW congrats on these acceptances. As I understand it that's a pretty big achievement. Are you considering any non-BS/MD programs? I would imagine you could get into a top-tier undergrad.

I don't know enough about it to comment meaningfully. All I know is Cincinnati is a big university, the med school is decent, and there's a great children's hospital there.

BTW congrats on these acceptances. As I understand it that's a pretty big achievement. Are you considering any non-BS/MD programs? I would imagine you could get into a top-tier undergrad.

thank you! yes, i was also accepted to Vanderbilt RD and Umich EA.

NJMS and Cinci med schools are in the same ballpark in terms of reputation. I would personally choose TCNJ/NJMS for the time savings. You could certainly do better the regular route, but it's not low tier like Albany where it deprives you of opportunities. I think the option to apply out is nice with Cincy, but if you plan to take that opportunity seriously, it could lead to more stress than its worth.

NJMS and Cinci med schools are in the same ballpark in terms of reputation. I would personally choose TCNJ/NJMS for the time savings. You could certainly do better the regular route, but it's not low tier like Albany where it deprives you of opportunities. I think the option to apply out is nice with Cincy, but if you plan to take that opportunity seriously, it could lead to more stress than its worth.

thank you! that makes a lot of sense to me.

bump! does anyone else have any thoughts?

Hey dude! I got into University of Cincinnati bs/md too. I got into ucla and uc Berkeley as well. I was wondering where you found out that Cincinnati was non binding and would still retain your seat even after you applied to med school elsewhere?

im for sure thinking of going to Cincinnati, it is a once in a life time opportunity!!! We should go together. It is ranked 44th (same as uc Irvine) and it is pretty good cuz we need only a 71th percentile score. It’s ranked highest out of your three and I know us high achievers would appreciate as much prestige as we can get. Plus, it is a guaranteed spot, because you never know what may happen to you in undergrad years.

im super excited!