Deciding between Tufts Early Assurance Program or applying regular cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefulstranger

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi! I am currently a junior at Tufts and was admitted to the Tufts early assurance program (EAP) for the Tufts School of Medicine (TMS). I'm still trying to decide whether to commit to the program or apply more broadly in the regular cycle.

I really like TMS but it is pretty expensive and I will have to take out loans for all years of medical school. Applying more broadly could mean having the chance to attend my state school (UMass) or find other merit scholarships. Another worry I had was that step 1 becoming pass/fail might mean that the medical school one goes to matters more for residency applications than previously. I would love to stay in Boston for residency and it would be a dream to match into programs at MGH/Boston Children's (still not sure what I want to do specifically).

I was wondering if anyone had any advice about this? I have not taken the MCAT yet as the EAP does not require it which means I will have to take a gap year to apply regular. I have regular premed experiences (4 years of lab and clinical research experience, co-authored publications, shadowing hours, hospital volunteering etc.) and a ~3.9 GPA.

Thanks! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is also my first time posting so sorry if this is not the right place to ask/format!
I would approach this subject as one more willing to take a while is guaranteed than speculate on what could be. You have a guaranteed admission, the loans suck but everyone deals with them so you wouldn’t necessarily be at the place. The college is already in the town that you want to stay in, just make those connections through elective rotations at your target hospitals and you should be fine. You could get into a school that offers merit scholarships or you can get rejected and have to wait another year. Another year or two or three honestly he’s not going to make a huge impact on you as an applicant if you’re willing to potentially give that up.

Reactions: 1 users
I would approach this subject as one more willing to take a while is guaranteed than speculate on what could be. You have a guaranteed admission, the loans suck but everyone deals with them so you wouldn’t necessarily be at the place. The college is already in the town that you want to stay in, just make those connections through elective rotations at your target hospitals and you should be fine. You could get into a school that offers merit scholarships or you can get rejected and have to wait another year. Another year or two or three honestly he’s not going to make a huge impact on you as an applicant if you’re willing to potentially give that up.
Thank you for the advice! My family doesn't have much experience in medicine so I wanted to also ask on here to read opinions about the topic. I decided to commit to the program :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice! My family doesn't have much experience in medicine so I wanted to also ask on here to read opinions about the topic. I decided to commit to the program :)
Good decision. No reason to waste time + money on MCAT, gap year activities, delay in attending salary, etc. when you already have a guaranteed spot that statistically is against anyone's favor. Everyone deals with loans. Huge plus that Tufts already exists in the city you want to match it. You'll be just fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Good decision. No reason to waste time + money on MCAT, gap year activities, delay in attending salary, etc. when you already have a guaranteed spot that statistically is against anyone's favor. Everyone deals with loans. Huge plus that Tufts already exists in the city you want to match it. You'll be just fine.
Thank you! That's good to hear

A huge weight was just removed from your shoulders committing to Tufts- by not having to pay and study for the mcat, as well as all the applications fees and any in-person interview costs; plus he removal of emotional stress during the ten month application-cycle.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I would have advised to apply broadly if were ready to apply during senior. Given that you need to take MCAT and gap year I will say go with EAP.

Reactions: 1 user