Deciding between undergrad schools (schools named)

PigeonPoint

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I hope to be a pre-med and am trying to decide between the following undergraduate schools.
I would really appreciate any advice regarding the pros and cons of these schools, with respect to my prospects for admission to med school (aside from financial aspects, which are obviously a consideration).

PRIMARY PROSPECTS (based on current info):

Cornell University (Minor scholarship)

University of California, Berkeley (In state tuition)

University of California, Los Angeles (In state tuition)

Emory University (Scholarship covering around 43% of tuition)

OTHER POSSIBILITIES (based on current info):

University of California, Davis (Minor scholarship)

University of California, Santa Barbara (Minor scholarship)

University of California, Riverside (In state tuition, plus scholarship covering 2/3rd of that tuition)

NYU

University of Michigan

I have heard GPA, MCAT, and leadership/clinical/research opportunities matter a lot for med school admissions. However, I have heard conflicting views regarding how much (if at all) the overall ranking of the undergraduate institution matters.
( I need to decide before May 1, 2018)

Thank you in advance for sharing any insights (especially specific info regarding the schools),

PigeonPoint

Members don't see this ad.

When you're talking about schools of that caliber, ranking isn't nearly as important as going where you'll be happy and successful. None of those schools is going to handicap you in med school admissions. Be aware that grade-deflating schools will make it more challenging to get a med school-level GPA.

Go to the school you like the most. Personally, I would stay away from cold so that would factor into my decision. I prefer to be closer to family, which is another fact. HOWEVER, this isn’t about me, so that said, do you, my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on that list chose the school in your state that you feel most comfortable at. They are all known names and that is all you need to worry about as far as "ranking" undergrad schools go. Your personal attributes are FAR more important.