Decision on which pharmacy school to attend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeC92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, all answers are appreciated.
I'm torn between Shenandoah (VA), Campbell (NC), and University of Charleston (WV). Share any info on which you would choose to better help me. (prestige, curriculum, naplex, etc). Thanks.

Lastly, if you were in my shoes. Which would you pick & why?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm torn between Shenandoah (VA), Campbell (NC), and University of Charleston (WV). Share any info on which you would choose to better help me. (prestige, curriculum, naplex, etc). Thanks.

---

Members don't see this ad :)
I would get a PharmD/MBA and go to the school that I felt I fit in best at, these are all SLACs Small Liberal Arts Colleges, so they all care about students more than research, but really, where do you want to spend 4 years of your life?

---------

Hi!

I am a student at UCSOP. If you haven't already chosen a school, my best advice for you is DON'T choose UC. Talk to 98% of the students at the school, because everybody is miserable. And not a 'pharmacy school is hard' kind of miserable, but because the administration at UC is terrible. There's a reason the school was on probation last year. Administration won't (or can't) get rid of incompetent professors, most likely in fear that the review board will - once again - put the hammer down on the school for not being able to retain professors, even though the ones they have (especially in the first year) aren't doing their job.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying every professor at UC is terrible, but you know how the saying goes - it only takes one bad one to ruin the reputation for everybody else.

Also, there is a lot of racism that takes place within the school. Depending on your ethnicity, students can get by with A LOT of things that would never fly at anther (or respectable) institution. For example, during first semester this year there was a student in the P1 class who was caught cheating on an Immunology final, yet was allowed to stay at the University with no punishment. The only action taken was 'assigned seating' for our exams. Administration is getting worse by the year, and I would be very surprised if the school can continue to fund itself by what would be your fourth year. Another professor admitted to students in a meeting with her that she has a separate rubric for foreign students. The P1 class lost a significant number of failing students after first semester this year, and both the P1 & P2 classes lost more this semester. Now, it's understandable that maybe one or two students won't make it - but each semester there are a TON (The P1 class this past fall lost right under TEN!). It's not acceptable and administration refuses to recognize that the problem is a select couple of professors. Students are accruing an unbearable amount of debt because the school is screwing them over. Once a student fails a semester, they're practically forces to stay at the school because of the debt they're forced to carry. Those of us at the University are counting down the days we have left until we can get out.

So don't make the same mistake so many have before you. I mean, I'm pretty sure next year's P1 class is less than 40 students. The viability of the school just is not promising, even though they will try to feed you the '8 year accreditation' speech. It's not going to matter if they were awarded 8 years if they can't keep their students in the program, let alone convince new ones to come each year.

Do yourself a serious service - if you're even considering going to UCSOP, make sure you speak with AT LEAST 4 to 5 students (not at interview day because they're literally PAID to lie and tell you good things) before deciding to come.

Reactions: 1 user
Please help me to compare the following 5 pharmacy schools. Any information about the schools would be helpful. Which school do you pick and why?

LECOM Bradenton FL
MCPHS Manchester MA
Hawaii at Hilo
Manchester Indiana
UNE (university of new England) Maine