Decisions, Decisions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OPNYDR

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope that all will be blessed with decisions as difficult as mine! As of Thurs. of this week I was prepping to reapply for the 07 cycle, and then in two days BOOM acceptance phone call from UCLA and an acceptance letter from Columbia. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, yes <---- this is me yelling, I really don't know what to do. UCLA means home in sunny California and a tution that can be paid in cash, on the other hand Columbia is second to none (have you seen those placement numbers, plus that fact that they will allow you to dual specialize), cold and expensive....... once again AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, 7 days to decide. I'll let you guys know, but let me know what you think.

Thanks

P.S. Not bad for a guy that finished a degree at a small no name university, with a student body of less than 100 in a year and a half. I did have 38 units of business, but then took two years off and finished the remaining 100+ units in 5 semesters. Most of my sciences were done on the weekends, accelerated courses (4 weekends for bio, gchem, ochem, and physics). And now all this :laugh: I sat with people from Harvard, Stanford, UCLA, Berkley, and other Big Name schools at my inteviews, though I think they only care about a few things; A)DAT, that is the only thing that got me to the interviews, and B) your composure during the interview, they don't want a NICE guy or gal, they want somebody that is the BEST and knows it. The more cocky/sure of myself I was, the better results I got from my interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

OPNYDR said:
I hope that all will be blessed with decisions as difficult as mine! As of Thurs. of this week I was prepping to reapply for the 07 cycle, and then in two days BOOM acceptance phone call from UCLA and an acceptance letter from Columbia. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, yes <---- this is me yelling, I really don't know what to do. UCLA means home in sunny California and a tution that can be paid in cash, on the other hand Columbia is second to none (have you seen those placement numbers, plus that fact that they will allow you to dual specialize), cold and expensive....... once again AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, 7 days to decide. I'll let you guys know, but let me know what you think.

Thanks

P.S. Not bad for a guy that finished a degree at a small no name university, with a student body of less than 100 in a year and a half. I did have 38 units of business, but then took two years off and finished the remaining 100+ units in 5 semesters. Most of my sciences were done on the weekends, accelerated courses (4 weekends for bio, gchem, ochem, and physics). And now all this :laugh: I sat with people from Harvard, Stanford, UCLA, Berkley, and other Big Name schools at my inteviews, though I think they only care about a few things; A)DAT, that is the only thing that got me to the interviews, and B) your composure during the interview, they don't want a NICE guy or gal, they want somebody that is the BEST and knows it. The more cocky/sure of myself I was, the better results I got from my interviews.
GPA
BCP- 3.65
Science- 3.37
Cum-3.13

UCLA Class of 2010 <====Looks to me like you already made your choice. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
OPNYDR said:

Thanks

Go to Ivy league... no one likes their dental school anyway so might as well come out with a name...

Trust me every dental student I knew hated their school to certain point so either you go to UCLA or Columbia you will hate them both....

So, might as welll get out with name right...

yep went to Ivy league dental .. hated it for 4 yrs....but still managed to graduate....but chose non-Ivy for post-grad because I really want a good training ...

I'd like to say something about small town colleges.

It's true many times that some of the most gifted people don't come from big name colleges and high social rungs. For example, Charles Bertolami, dean of UCSF went to Lorraine Community College (somewhere out in the middle of nowhere Ohio and dental school in Colorado!) but nonetheless, the guy recieved his dmedsci at harvard and is quite influential and charismatic. if you ever have the chance to listen to him speak publicly (you'd know what i mean). So with this example, it would be wrong to exclude those of meager beginnings yet with high aptitude and potential from dental, med plus other graduate schools.

I applaud your triumphs and look forward to meeting you, shall you go to UCLA!! :)

L8DYV, Changed my signature yesterday when I got into UCLA, now I'm wondering if I got to change it again.

OPNYDR said:
L8DYV, Changed my signature yesterday when I got into UCLA, now I'm wondering if I got to change it again.

lol good luck to you in whatever you decide, im sure you know yourself well enough to decide what's right for you =)

i know this cuz i went there for 4 years....UCLA dental sucks...but cheap tuition makes up for it. GO BRUINS!