• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

eirinn152

10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Pittsburgh
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Is anyone else out there over halfway through their 3rd year and still have no clue what they want to go into for residency? I know I still have time, but does anyone have ANY advice on how they chose their specialty? It's getting abit frustrating. I though I'd find something and fall in love with it, but so far that hasn't happened.

QuinnB

10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2006
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
ditto...i've already picked all of my 4th year courses...and I still don't know what I want to do...I have a month to change them.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2000
www.pcom.edu
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I didnt figure it out until near the end of my 3rd year.

About the Ads

Zuwie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2004
Status (Visible)
Is your difficulty making decision stemming from the fact that you "like everything" or "everything sucks"? If it's the former, you should think of combined programs (med-peds, med-psych), or family med.
if it's the latter, you should consider specialties that you were not exposed to during your third year, such as anesthesia, radiology, pathology, PM&R etc.

Hard24Get

The black sleepymed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2006
In my skin, when I jump out you jump in!
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I insist on posting these websites everytime this question comes up.

AAMC Careers in Medicine was developed just for us by the governing body of medicine.
http://www.aamc.org/students/cim/ has links to career resources as well as to Careers in Medicine itself. It offers self-assessment tests, detailed info on many specialties, questions to ask physicians in the field you are interested in, help with matching, and more. To start your own profile, you need a code from your school, but you can get it in the course of a 2 minute telephone call.

Also, here is a link to a fun powerpoint presentation that helps you find out what your personality type is and gives lists of potentially great specialties for your personality type:

http://www.med.mun.ca/medcareers/dow... version.ppt

This quiz will tell you your personality:
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.