decisions decisions..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sendwich

you rock!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
M3 here, closing in on the time to figure out what I want to do "when I grow up". I always thought it would be peds for the longest time but then surgery had to be The Game Changer in the middle of the year (the OR, fast-paced, do something tangible for pt, but it ain't gonna be easy). I'm in peds now and somewhat enjoying it, but for the right reasons? I dont know. (peds people are really nice, the kids are cute/fun, but soo boring). It's hard because there are different parts of these 2 really really different fields I like. Anyone else in between having to choose between different fields? I know I'll have to just pick one and do a sub-I to get a better feel.

Fyi, this is more of a vent-post, but if you can provide some advice, that would be awesome too. :)

Members don't see this ad.

M3 here, closing in on the time to figure out what I want to do "when I grow up". I always thought it would be peds for the longest time but then surgery had to be The Game Changer in the middle of the year (the OR, fast-paced, do something tangible for pt, but it ain't gonna be easy). I'm in peds now and somewhat enjoying it, but for the right reasons? I dont know. (peds people are really nice, the kids are cute/fun, but soo boring). It's hard because there are different parts of these 2 really really different fields I like. Anyone else in between having to choose between different fields? I know I'll have to just pick one and do a sub-I to get a better feel.

Fyi, this is more of a vent-post, but if you can provide some advice, that would be awesome too. :)

Most people go through this. The trick is like you said getting more exposure and isolating the things you enjoy most about the specialty which can lead you into a subspecialty (like peds surgery) or even a different field (ENT for example).

Did you rotate through an inpatient peds subspecialty? I think gen peds can be very boring (especially in Jan when the whole floor consists of bronchiolitis and pneumonia), but subspecialty is really intellectual and interesting. -Future pedi

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you rotate through an inpatient peds subspecialty? I think gen peds can be very boring (especially in Jan when the whole floor consists of bronchiolitis and pneumonia), but subspecialty is really intellectual and interesting. -Future pedi

yeah, I did exactly just that - january with LOTS of bronchiolitis and pneumonia. I did a subspecialty in hemonc, which was really cool, but not sure if I want to do 3 more years (potentially boring) to "get" there.

ay.

As yourself an honest question at the end of peds. Which rotation, peds or surgery, did you wake up in the last week and felt more motivated to go to the hospital...

With peds, you have fellowship options, with GS you have 5 years and then you will want to work instead of looking into peds surgery options.

Devil's advocate here...you like peds patients, but you think the same old routine would be boring. Why not go for something like family medicine then? You still get to see peds patients plus you get the challenge of everything else that should make every day different for you. The fact that you would consider general surgery as an alternative tells me that you don't have a problem with all the other age groups and my experience has been that younger family doctors tend to see younger patients as a larger proportion of their practice anyway. Just a thought.