Decisions... Retail vs LTC Pharm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carbonex30

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to make a tricky decision. I am a recent graduate and have received an offer onboard of CVS as a retail pharmacist and literally a day after my acceptance of the offer I was given an offer at a long term care pharmacy. Can the argument be made that working at the LTC pharmacy as an experience would open up more clinical type opportunities in the future? Maybe it should also be noted that I live in the state of California, where the situation is much more saturated... Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Also I was wondering if anyone knows what are the punitive consquences of withdrawing from an already accepted offer from CVS? Ex. Blacklist?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Which LTC is it? If your offer is Omnicare they are owned by CVS now. So really it's CVS either way!
Not Omnicare, however they are feeling a bit of the squeeze that Omni's presence is making. I have a friend who has had LTC experience prior to switching over to Omni, and he says that Omni's metrics are wayyyy more rigorous than his previous LTC gig.

If you take the CVS job I'll laugh my ass off.

Reactions: 1 user
LTC and you will get more clinical experience that retail with IVs and whatnot, but LTC for sure, took me way too long to switch over

I was in the same position after graduation - accepted a retail offer, then received an offer at LTC. Worked retail through school. Went with the LTC and while my schedule isn't amazing, I think working in a closed door pharmacy and not being on my feet all day is a pretty huge quality of life difference.

As far as opening up more clinical opportunities goes, it would certainly help more than retail. We do a bit of vanc & aminoglycoside management and get the odd clinical question.

Take the LTC job but keep in mind that LTC experience means NOTHING if you want to work in a hospital setting down the road.

Chain retail experience means nothing as well for gaining access to other license-required clinical opportunities with the possible exception of Kaiser outpatient so why are you worrying about CVS

Chain retail experience means nothing as well for gaining access to other license-required clinical opportunities with the possible exception of Kaiser outpatient so why are you worrying about CVS

The job security at CVS is better, additionally the district I would've been place in is supposedly one of the better ones according to a friend who's working in it. The LTC I'm looking at has had facilities come and go and along with them their pharmacists too. In any event I've taken the advice of the members of this forum(thank you so much for your input) and many esteemed colleagues and gone with the LTC. Not looking back.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi OP just wondering how you like your decision? Was the paycut worth it? How much of a paycut would you have accepted? Are the benefits comparable?

Hi OP just wondering how you like your decision? Was the paycut worth it? How much of a paycut would you have accepted? Are the benefits comparable?

You might need to email or tag them.

@carbonex30

Attachments

• 20180803_140953.jpg
    20180803_140953.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 80
What if it's $10 paycut?

So... $62 at CVS vs. $52 at LTC? hmmm I took a paycut to move a way from cvs and I must say, best decision of my life. I would say even a $10 paycut is worth it. At least for where I'm living. May be an issue at places like California.