Decisions....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Erapitt said:
I am actually researching DO programs as we speak, so I do feel I spoke too soon. Nonetheless, it seems that DO programs can void out certain possibilities such as surgery and what not and aren't always held as high. This is not being snobbish, this is looking out for my investment. YES, I want to be a doctor, however, I don't want to have a degree and be broke and unable to support my family. I am not trying to be snobbish, but I came on this forum to get answers to questions I have.

You don't want your family to starve? On a Docs salary I doubt it

Members don't see this ad.

exlawgrrl said:
This I agree with, but unfortunately it's how the legal world works. Medicine is sort of refreshing because it's more egalitarian. In the legal world, you wind up with all these silly distinctions like first tier, top 25, top 20, top 15, top 14, top 10, etc. -- I've heard 'em all used. Top 14 I think is used just to exclude my alma mater since it's public, cheap and in Texas. :)

I totally agree with Xlawgirl. The medical world does seem a breath of fresh air from the legal world, the mentality is just alot different. When I go to law forums there seems to be very little constructive conversations, people are more cynical and constantly bash each other. There is a constant antagonistic atmosphere. If your curious as to what I am talking about go to 4lawschool.com or jdjive.com

Whereas here on SDN and other medical forums such as MOMmd and old premeds, it seems that people are truly interested in helping each other out with questions and issues.

As far as law school goes, if I were you I would decline the acceptance and really think about why you want to be an attorney. You have plenty of time on your side, no need to rush such a huge decision. Law schools really do not care why people want to be attorneys. Unlike medical school, law school is all about numbers. No one cares if you shadowed other attorneys, or have relevant legal experience. If you got an acceptance once, you will get one again if you decide to change your mind.

Sainttpk said:
You don't want your family to starve? On a Docs salary I doubt it

The concern isn't being broke on a doc's salary. What I meant was that I don't want to take a bunch of otherwise worthless postbac courses only to not be admitted into medical school and then have 20K in debt for nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Erapitt said:
The concern isn't being broke on a doc's salary. What I meant was that I don't want to take a bunch of otherwise worthless postbac courses only to not be admitted into medical school and then have 20K in debt for nothing.

There are no guarantees in life, and lots of folks on the nontrad board have made that gamble - some successful and others not. If you do well in postbac and score well on the MCAT you probably will have a good shot. But if those things don't happen, perhaps not. And even if you do have the grades, there are enough unquantifiable and intangible factors (interviews, LORs, etc.), such that no one can give you a guarantee, that if you do X,Y and Z, you will get in somewhere. I don't know what to tell you - big career changes like this are not for the risk averse.

Law2Doc said:
There are no guarantees in life, and lots of folks on the nontrad board have made that gamble - some successful and others not. If you do well in postbac and score well on the MCAT you probably will have a good shot. But if those things don't happen, perhaps not. And even if you do have the grades, there are enough unquantifiable and intangible factors (interviews, LORs, etc.), such that no one can give you a guarantee, that if you do X,Y and Z, you will get in somewhere. I don't know what to tell you - big career changes like this are not for the risk averse.

I never asked anybody to tell me anything. My comment was regarding the snide remark I got regarding being broke on a doc's salary. I was simply clarifying.

Erapitt said:
I never asked anybody to tell me anything. My comment was regarding the snide remark I got regarding being broke on a doc's salary. I was simply clarifying.

Thanks for the clarification on your comment. It seemed like you were initially implying that DOs don't earn as much money as MDs, which isn't true. I think Law2Doc is right that you're going to have to take some risks if medicine really is what you want to do. If you need to do a $20k postbacc, it doesn't come with a guarantee that you'll be accepted. However, owing $20k in student loans is going to have a minimal if anything effect on your finances. You might have to pay around $200 a month, which isn't exactly crippling. Drive an older car and give up a few vacations, and you should be fine. Don't go to law school because it's free, and don't avoid medicine because it requires you to take on some debt.