Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am debating between ICO and SCO right now. I really really want to be in chicago but ICO ends up being 70k more over the four years not to mention traveling cost to and fro home (Georgia). SCO is a great school and has all the amenities ICO has but memphis is just not my cup of tea. Is it worth saving all that money and going to a city I am not excited about? I will be paying in student loans...

Members don't see this ad.

I am debating between ICO and SCO right now. I really really want to be in chicago

Why would a Georgian opt for the harsh and brutal winters of Chicago, Illinois? :smack:

Personally, I'd go where I would rather live. If both schools are to your expectations, go to the school where the city suits you. Nothing would be worse then going to school somewhere for 4 years and you hating life because the city isn't "you" ya know?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to make the exact same decision! I think deep down, despite the cold weather (I'm from NC), I would want to be at ICO, but the cost is so much more reasonable at SCO.
I just gotta keep thinking that ICO has 160 students a year who go there even with the high cost, and they seem to be ok with their debts, so hey, I can deal too.
You can also look into scholarship options...there's the health professions one through the armed forces, etc.

weird, I could have sworn I already replied to this thread.

I think a lot of people don't realize this but the armed forces scholarship is very competitive (I think moreso for certain branches) and not many people receive it. Don't go to school counting on the military paying your way through school.

Anyways, I don't remember what I had typed last time so just PM me if you have any questions about SCO. :thumbup:

I'm a current 4th year. When I was accepted to ICO/PCO/SCO, I had to make the same choices you did. I'm glad I chose SCO, because I now know my debt load is the lowest it can be considering my state is too poor to fund contract seats. Thanks Virginia!

You really need to choose a school based on #1 cost, #2 academics/reputation, and #3 location. That extra 50-70,000 debt will haunt you later in life.

Optometry is NOT recession-proof/resistant. I know two local optometrists that have been laid off as associates and now looking for positions. Keep your debt load LOW.