Declining interview/withdrawing app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodfellas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pharmacy is a small world. I would like some suggestions for a tactful way of declining an interview and withdrawing applications from backup schools. I figured it'd be best to call and directly speak to someone, but I'm open to hear what others have done in the past. Thanks, and a happy holiday season to everyone on sdn.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't had to withdraw an interview myself, but I would just be polite and straightforward. Simply call and tell them that you are grateful for the opportunity to interview, but you will have to respectfully decline because you are no longer considering attending that school. I'm sure schools are used to this. Just be gracious and you should be fine; the sooner the better too - they will appreciate being able to open up slots, I'm sure.

It's reallllly not that big of a deal. Just wait until you get invited for an interview anywhere and if you do, send them a reply saying "Thank you for the invitation but I must decline" and there's no need to explain.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I don't think they'll be heartbroken. It just gives other people a shot to interview.

Any career I've ever considered you hear the same saying "it's a small community" "don't burn your bridges". Just reply to the email say thank you for the offer, but you have made other plans, they'll never remember you. Not that it would matter anyway.

I think the OP is facing the problem that he's already accepted the interviews, and now he doesn't have the need to go through with them. A bit different and trickier than just declining an interview invite.

I think the OP is facing the problem that he's already accepted the interviews, and now he doesn't have the need to go through with them. A bit different and trickier than just declining an interview invite.

I still don't think it's a big deal. Just let them know asap that you will not be attending and just say something like "I've been accepted to my top choice school. Thanks so much for the opportunity, but I'd like to give another student the chance to interview in my place." and they realllllly won't care.

The pharmacy world is a lot bigger than you think, so I don't think it will matter. Plus, you're only an applicant and four years from now, they're not going to remember you as the ******* who turned down their school.

Best thing to do is to notify them promptly so they can give the interview to some anxious soul on the waiting list.

So far, I have declined two interviews and withdrew my application. I sent a polite email stating that I needed to cancel the interview and withdraw my application from further consideration. I also thanked them for the consideration that the admissions committee had given my application up to that point in the process. Both times I received nice replies thanking me for letting them know and wishing me well in my career.

Some schools make it easy. I just clicked "decline interview" for Midwestern Chicago and a "withdraw" button for Midwestern Glendale. I'm sure they're not too mad, since they still have my $1000 deposit and all...

If you don't have that option, just call them. They know the vast majority of us apply to multiple schools, and that some of us might take the spot just in case our top choice ends up not accepting us. That's why they have waitlists. It's really not a big deal. Just politely thank them for the opportunity and tell them as soon as you decide not to go there (or interview there) so that they can give your spot to someone else.