Defer MPH to finish Pre-Med Requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

millermg88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated with my bachelor's degree in political science and I have been accepted to an MPH program. I started out in undergrad as a pre-med biology major and then switched halfway through. Looking back on it, I should have just switched my major and kept going with the pre-med course requirements, but hindsight is 20/20...

Anyways, I am lacking Physics I/II, Organic Chemistry II, Genetics, and an English course. I am sure that I could finish these in the next year at one of the local universities, but I am unsure as to whether or not I should try to take these classes while I am also taking classes for my MPH program or if I should defer admission to the MPH program for a year.

My ultimate goal would be to get into medical school at the same school that I am getting my MPH at and do a dual program. In order to complete the pre-requisites, I will likely be taking the English class this summer, Physics I and Genetics in the fall, and Organic II and Physics II in the spring. I would probably only take 1 MPH course per semester while I do this. Also, I will be working full time while I am taking classes.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the pros and cons of deferring admission while finishing up these classes?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The dual MD/MPH degree is not something that you can switch into while an MPH student. Many schools offer this dual degree and if interested, you should apply for it as a specific program when you apply to medical school. Other schools (eg UMich) will allow an MD student to apply for a dual degree during their third year (you then complete the MPH in a year and return to med school to finish your fourth year). I don't know of any MPH programs that allow you to apply for MD dual degree while enrolled in the program. If you are sure you want your MD and an MPH, I'd recommend withdrawing from your MPH program, taking a post-bac, finishing your missing prereqs, and apply MD/MPH dual degree.

If you aren't 100% set on getting your MD, I'd recommend enrolling in the MPH program next year. You might find that you like public health a lot more (there are some great combinations between public health and public policy that you could explore) and decide that medicine is not for you. If you still want to pursue medicine after finishing the MPH, you can take a post-bacc then.

Is it possible to attend summer school/community college? One course per term should not be too much of a burden in addition to your MPH coursework. I don't know how taking those higher level prereqs would affect your application given your situation, but maybe an adcom could chime in? Hope this helps!

As the poster above me mentioned, you usually apply for a joint MD/MPH or you get an MD acceptance and then can decide to do an MPH while in school. If that is your goal, drop the MPH, finish your prereqs, and apply to med schools.

Definitely do not try to juggle an MPH, prereqs, and a job because it is an unnecessary risk. Your gpa is too important.