deferral question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

David Liv

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a canadian student who was lucky enough to get accepted into a school in the states but due to family reasons going to the states will put a HUGE toll on our situation. its doable but its going to put my parents through hell

I want to try to get into canada again but my mcat is low for canada. so i was wondering if the following is possible:

Defer my States acceptance for 2023 start
Rewrite MCAT this summer and apply to Canada
If i get into canada i take the canadian offer
if not then i start school in the states in 2023

One issue I thought could be problematic is if AAMC informs the schools that an MCAT is being written or if the school has a way to see that i am rewriting my mcat, because this would mean that they can possibly take away my offer, is this something that they can do?

Thank you for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools will grant a deferral of one year for family crisis circumstances.
However, they will expect you to take the deferral with the understanding that you will not be using the deferral year to apply to other schools.
Doing this could indeed risk the loss of your current admissions offer.

Reactions: 7 users
However, they will expect you to take the deferral with the understanding that you will not be using the deferral year to apply to other schools.
This^^^.

No school is going to grant a deferral to give you a free option to take shots at other schools, with a guarantee if things don't work out. As @wysdoc said, you will be promising not to apply to any other school as part of your deferral agreement, assuming your request is granted.

AAMC schools will indeed be able to see future scored MCATs, and they will rescind your acceptance upon seeing them. I know one of the US BS/MD programs throws people out of their program if people even register to take the MCAT, since they don't require the MCAT or allow people to apply to other schools and remain in their program. AAMC must provide notifications to schools of MCAT registrations under certain circumstances. If so, this would certainly be one of them.

This is simply not a viable strategy. If going to school in the States is not going to work for you, just withdraw. Otherwise, it is what it is. Congratulations on your acceptance.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. If you defer then try to reapply to other schools, you will very likely lose your spot if/when you're found out.

Reactions: 1 user
You did know about this when you made the decision to apply to the States, right? When you say HUGE toll, you mean financial? That's what most Canadian applicants tell me.

This won't be enough a reason for a deferral at a lot of schools. You came in with a responsibility to be fully informed, and the financial challenges you would have to worry about (having 4 years tuition secured in an escrow account, for example) are not secrets when you network before applying. I would take the offer or start with a new plan to focus only on Canadian schools. If it will put your family in that much duress, you need to choose to give up studying in the US or not. If you can't put up the funds, the offer will be taken from you.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users