deferring med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

florence02

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone thought of deferring med school for a year? I want to go abroad next year on a fellowship (and that's why I applied this year, thinking it would be hard to be abroad and come back to the States for interviews) and now that I've been accepted, I'm seriously thinking about the deferment option. What do you guys think about this, and do you know if most med schools allow students to defer a year? Thanks for your input. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Although it is probably best to ask the specific school, from what I have gathered, medical schools are usually pretty open to letting you defer as long as you can give them a good reason for it. I dont think they would mind your situation at all. Just be sure that you can come back in time to finish the early decision application for the next application cycle. Even though you are guaranteed a spot, you still have to go through the formality of applying early decision for the next year.

Peace

Columbia does not make you reapply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Florence,

I'd go for it. If you're relatively young, then it's no sweat. Some people start med school when they're in their thirties (or older), so one year won't matter much and you're still ahead of the game. Talk to the school at which you are accepted and I'm sure they'll support you.

Have fun! ;)

hi-
i ended up applying for a fulbright and am doing my fulbright now. i ended up calling the deans at a couple of the med schools to ask about deferral possibilities and they all were willing to give me a deferral. however i was accepted off the waitlist at hopkins and they were not willing to allow me to defer which is understandable as once they've gone to their waitlist they're trying to fill spots. it's been an amazing year for me! good luck with your fellowship application!:)

If you have the opportunity to defer and study abroad DO IT!. I can almost guarantee that everyone that has spent a year abroad does not regret it and would do it again. Most schools have the deferment option available fot those that are doing something scholarly during the year off. You have to get accepted somewhere first, though.

If this option is available to you I strongly urge you to pursue it.