Deflection loupes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RollyPolly4

Reaction score
I am currently a D1 looking to purchase loupes in the near future. I am interested in the deflection/ergonomic loupes from Lumadent or Surgitel. However, I hear mixed reviews about these style loupes. Video reviews (Youtube) have been mostly positive and emphasized the ergonomic benefits. However, the Surgitel rep from my school insists these Ergonomic loupes are a 'fad' and the placement of the lens (middle of the glasses) makes it difficult to see anything that's not through the magnification lens. I don't mind taking my loupes off if I need to see an x-ray or talk to the patient if it means I can save my posture in the long run. But... I also see the difficulty in doing an entire procedure in clinic without an assistant and having limited visibility through the glasses.

Do any of you have deflection loupes and would recommend a D1 purchasing them? Are you in school, and if so how have you adjusted?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a D1 looking to purchase loupes in the near future. I am interested in the deflection/ergonomic loupes from Lumadent or Surgitel. However, I hear mixed reviews about these style loupes. Video reviews (Youtube) have been mostly positive and emphasized the ergonomic benefits. However, the Surgitel rep from my school insists these Ergonomic loupes are a 'fad' and the placement of the lens (middle of the glasses) makes it difficult to see anything that's not through the magnification lens. I don't mind taking my loupes off if I need to see an x-ray or talk to the patient if it means I can save my posture in the long run. But... I also see the difficulty in doing an entire procedure in clinic without an assistant and having limited visibility through the glasses.

Do any of you have deflection loupes and would recommend a D1 purchasing them? Are you in school, and if so how have you adjusted?
I’m a D2, and I’ve had my Lumadent ergonomic loupes for 4 months.

During D1 year, I used traditional loupes. I had to take a lot breaks due to neck/upper back pain, and I was frequently getting headaches due to neck tension. That’s why I decided to order ergonomic loupes.

I absolutely love my ergoprism loupes from Lumadent. I don’t get headaches anymore, and I don’t need to take breaks while working on projects. I’m not in clinic yet, so I can’t really speak on that, but I haven’t had an issue seeing my instruments or materials with the placement of the lens. The adjustment from traditional to ergonomic loupes took me maybe 2 weeks max.

My recommendation is to find a rep so you can try them before you purchase them. It’s a lot of money to spend when you aren’t 100% sure about a product.

Lumadent’s quality is overall poor to fair. That’s interesting Surgitel released loupes like this. They had a long article trying to explain away how deflection loupes are bad. If you pick up deflection they just “make sense.” Get them and don’t look back. There are also Admetec (Andau medical), and Orascoptic I believe is releasing some, and designs for vision has some.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a D2, and I’ve had my Lumadent ergonomic loupes for 4 months.

During D1 year, I used traditional loupes. I had to take a lot breaks due to neck/upper back pain, and I was frequently getting headaches due to neck tension. That’s why I decided to order ergonomic loupes.

I absolutely love my ergoprism loupes from Lumadent. I don’t get headaches anymore, and I don’t need to take breaks while working on projects. I’m not in clinic yet, so I can’t really speak on that, but I haven’t had an issue seeing my instruments or materials with the placement of the lens. The adjustment from traditional to ergonomic loupes took me maybe 2 weeks max.

My recommendation is to find a rep so you can try them before you purchase them. It’s a lot of money to spend when you aren’t 100% sure about a product.
Thank you, I greatly appreciate the response!
By any chance did you initially have trouble working on maxillary molars or any 3rd/2nd molars?

Lumadent’s quality is overall poor to fair. That’s interesting Surgitel released loupes like this. They had a long article trying to explain away how deflection loupes are bad. If you pick up deflection they just “make sense.” Get them and don’t look back. There are also Admetec (Andau medical), and Orascoptic I believe is releasing some, and designs for vision has some.Our school's orascoptic rep confirmed they plan on releasing their deflection loupe version.

Same! Our orascoptic rep mentioned they are planing on releasing their own version. I am leaning more on buying a pair of deflection loupes in the somewhat near future.

Thank you, I greatly appreciate the response!
By any chance did you initially have trouble working on maxillary molars or any 3rd/2nd molars?
For class 2 restorations I don’t think 2nd molars would be a problem. Can’t comment on thirds. Crown preps only looking through loupes was a bit easier on #14 compared to #15, but so far for me I have to compromise ergonomics here and there to ensure I have what I want prepped. With time and skill I may be able to do 100% of it through loupes and mirror

Reactions: 1 user
That’s interesting Surgitel released loupes like this. They had a long article trying to explain away how deflection loupes are bad.

Whatever a competitor makes before they do is bad

These deflection loupes are *not there* yet.

Also, sure, it would be great to have the right posture to begin with, but I don't know if I can do most procedures purely dependent on indirect vision during or soon after graduating. I do plan to get one in the future when I am more skilled, but I'm planning to use traditional loupes for now.

Plus, you can still maintain good posture with traditional loupes.

These deflection loupes are *not there* yet.

Also, sure, it would be great to have the right posture to begin with, but I don't know if I can do most procedures purely dependent on indirect vision during or soon after graduating. I do plan to get one in the future when I am more skilled, but I'm planning to use traditional loupes for now.

Plus, you can still maintain good posture with traditional loupes.
Tons of dentists are using them. Using galilean loupes will force you to crank your eyes down. They aren't as good in my opinion, but what do I know. Not much.

Using galilean loupes will force you to crank your eyes down.

Is there any chance of harm from that though? I thought that was the point of loupes anyhow, putting the angle in your eyes and not your neck/back. In any case, so much of this ergonomics stuff is personal preference at the end of the day.

Just like Punt me said, I don't know if its possible to do 100% of the procedure start to finish in the ergonomic position our loupes get us into. It could just be my inexperience as a second year student, but my work will often have flaws I don't notice in the single perspective my loupes provide. So I've tried to get in the habit of double-checking my work with direct vision when possible. A few minutes in a bad position are unlikely to lead to a neck/back issue, at least I think so lol.

Is there any chance of harm from that though? I thought that was the point of loupes anyhow, putting the angle in your eyes and not your neck/back. In any case, so much of this ergonomics stuff is personal preference at the end of the day.

Just like Punt me said, I don't know if its possible to do 100% of the procedure start to finish in the ergonomic position our loupes get us into. It could just be my inexperience as a second year student, but my work will often have flaws I don't notice in the single perspective my loupes provide. So I've tried to get in the habit of double-checking my work with direct vision when possible. A few minutes in a bad position are unlikely to lead to a neck/back issue, at least I think so lol.
Your eyes will fatigue. Most loupes yes are only attempting to help your neck. Your eyes will tire, however. Why do endodontists use microscopes? Primarily for magnification. I've watched an endo work and they do everything indirect vision looking at the microscope. I'm sure their back and eyes thank them for it. Deflection loupes are just something you have to try to understand.

I'm sure their back and eyes thank them for it. Deflection loupes are just something you have to try to understand.

I am definitely on the deflection loupes train, but my wallet isn't.

Like I said, it's fine with experienced users.

Not there yet as in the quality isn't there yet. They're flimsy and weak. Lenses aren't that great.

I'd stick with traditional loupes and get better. Once you are better, especially with indirect work, then get it later.

Like I said, it's fine with experienced users.

Not there yet as in the quality isn't there yet. They're flimsy and weak. Lenses aren't that great.

I'd stick with traditional loupes and get better. Once you are better, especially with indirect work, then get it later.
I’ve found ademetc/andau medical’s product to be fine. Not sure about all the others

I got a chance to try out the lumadent ones over the weekend. The field of view was very small. Also you are restricted to looking forward, which is great for your posture, but you are pretty much oblivious to anything else around the patient. You can't really pick up on things like facial expressions and movements which can work against you, especially if you're working with pediatric patients.