Degree Differences Literature

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of any literature or authors examining the differences between psychologists, social workers, mfts, lpccs, etc? Anything ranging from ethics and standard of practice differences, to ethics and legal violation rates, philosophical approach, training rigor, approaches to clinical care, effectiveness, patient perspective of satisfaction with care, etc?

Particularly interested in this for program and clinic development reasons, but of course, also personally.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You might look into the interprofessional training and interprofessional ethics literature but I doubt you’ll find a lot. It’s a surprising gap in the literature. I hope someone shows up to prove me wrong on this.

Reactions: 1 user
The most I've seen (and I don't recall the source) was a saucy writting lambasting psych for the loose sexual ethics comparatively. Thats been a few years and it may have been a pop article for all I can recall encouraging more stringent rules on sexual relationships.

Members don't see this ad :)
Corey, G., Corey, M & Callanan. (2011). Issues and ethics in the helping professions (9th Ed) Belmont Ca: brooks cole.

(Excuse the rushed APA style). But my ethics class used that book and it pulled from APA, ACA, NASW codes for various topics. Not sure if there are other references in that book that touch on what you are looking for.

The most I've seen (and I don't recall the source) was a saucy writting lambasting psych for the loose sexual ethics comparatively. Thats been a few years and it may have been a pop article for all I can recall encouraging more stringent rules on sexual relationships.

There is some literature from the 1970s that shows a high rate of sexual encounters between students and faculty in psychology training programs. I don't remember where it was published but it was pretty shocking, especially by today's standards.

I can't think of a professional ethics code that is *more* prohibitive than (currently) APA's with respect to sexual relationships.

There is some literature from the 1970s that shows a high rate of sexual encounters between students and faculty in psychology training programs. I don't remember where it was published but it was pretty shocking, especially by today's standards.

I can't think of a professional ethics code that is *more* prohibitive than (currently) APA's with respect to sexual relationships.

It's definitely not great in any similar setting, but was that psychology training compared to other graduate fields, or did they only solely look at psychology?

It's definitely not great in any similar setting, but was that psychology training compared to other graduate fields, or did they only solely look at psychology?

No, it was only psychology - I remember that much. I'm pretty sure it was published in a psychology journal. I'll go dig it up later and post it here.

EDIT: didn't take long to find at all --- Ken Pope was the first author:

Reactions: 1 users
No, it was only psychology - I remember that much. I'm pretty sure it was published in a psychology journal. I'll go dig it up later and post it here.

Ah, yeah, I just tense up a little when psychology seems singled out unnecessarily. It's like the replication crisis, psychology was at the forefront of saying it's a problem, but other disciplines have just as much, if not more issues with replication than psychology does. It's still a problem, it just gets in the way of effective solutions when people ignore the problems in their own field and incorrectly assume it's only a problem in psychology.

Ah, yeah, I just tense up a little when psychology seems singled out unnecessarily. It's like the replication crisis, psychology was at the forefront of saying it's a problem, but other disciplines have just as much, if not more issues with replication than psychology does. It's still a problem, it just gets in the way of effective solutions when people ignore the problems in their own field and incorrectly assume it's only a problem in psychology.

Fair point, and I suspect medicine was slow to follow in this case.

IMO this paper was less about singling out psychology and more about "cleaning up one's own house."

I mean, given that I can think of multiple faculty I have known/known of who have had sexual encounters or relationships with students in the last few years... yeh.. not surprising. I can't imagine it was better in the 70s.

A two year prohibition after which 'as long as it isn't exploitative' is kinda weak. They say 'unusual circumstances'. Other fields ban in outright forever without exception or have 5 year limits. I suppose some of that is up to interpretation since it's 'wont do it ever except for...', but I'm skeptical of such wide loop holes. For an example, I grabbed APA and ACA ethics to compare. Generally similar in many ways, but a few differences with how they decide timeline. We also don't extend the scope beyond the client for future relationships, whereas others do (see ACA). I think this is also an important distinction although problematic in certain regions (rural). I'm not sure which is better.
10.06 Sexual Intimacies with Relatives or Significant Others of Current Therapy Clients/Patients
Psychologists do not engage in sexual intimacies with individuals they know to be close relatives, guardians, or significant others of current clients/patients. Psychologists do not terminate therapy to circumvent this standard.

10.07 Therapy with Former Sexual Partners
Psychologists do not accept as therapy clients/patients persons with whom they have engaged in sexual intimacies.

10.08 Sexual Intimacies with Former Therapy Clients/Patients
(a) Psychologists do not engage in sexual intimacies with former clients/patients for at least two years after cessation or termination of therapy.

(b) Psychologists do not engage in sexual intimacies with former clients/patients even after a two-year interval except in the most unusual circumstances. Psychologists who engage in such activity after the two years following cessation or termination of therapy and of having no sexual contact with the former client/patient bear the burden of demonstrating that there has been no exploitation, in light of all relevant factors, including (1) the amount of time that has passed since therapy terminated; (2) the nature, duration, and intensity of the therapy; (3) the circumstances of termination; (4) the client's/patient's personal history; (5) the client's/patient's current mental status; (6) the likelihood of adverse impact on the client/patient; and (7) any statements or actions made by the therapist during the course of therapy suggesting or inviting the possibility of a posttermination sexual or romantic relationship with the client/patient. (See also Standard 3.05, Multiple Relationships.)

A.5. Prohibited Noncounseling Roles and Relationships A.5.a. Sexual and/or Romantic Relationships Prohibited Sexual and/or romantic counselor– client interactions or relationships with current clients, their romantic partners, or their family members are prohibited. This prohibition applies to both inperson and electronic interactions or relationships. A.5.b. Previous Sexual and/or Romantic Relationships Counselors are prohibited from engaging in counseling relationships with persons with whom they have had a previous sexual and/or romantic relationship. A.5.c. Sexual and/or Romantic Relationships With Former Clients Sexual and/or romantic counselor– client interactions or relationships with former clients, their romantic partners, or their family members are prohibited for a period of 5 years following the last professional contact. This prohibition applies to both in-person and electronic interactions or relationships. Counselors, before engaging in sexual and/or romantic interactions or relationships with former clients, their romantic partners, or their family members, demonstrate forethought and document (in written form) whether the interaction or relationship can be viewed as exploitive in any way and/or whether there is still potential to harm the former client; in cases of potential exploitation and/or harm, the counselor avoids entering into such an interaction or relationship.