Delaying a Cycle to Pursue a Research Opportunity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroRed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm struggling with a career decision. I am being offered the opportunity to work on a clinical-translational stem cell project with an expert physician in the field. I am only mentioning the type of research as my long-term interest has always been to pursue stem cell / regenerative medicine. I did basic stem cell research in undergrad and found a genuine passion for it -- I love doing this kind of work. I will be working alongside several fellows and have a great networking opportunity in my specialty of interest. I have been told that it will be a priority to get me on at least 1 first-author publication during my time there. Furthermore, the project and research team works directly out of the medical school that I've always dreamed of attending. The PI of the lab has told me that I will get the research experience of a resident.

The problem is they want me on a contract for 2 years, meaning I'd have to delay my application cycle by 1 year. For reference, I just graduated from undergrad in April and was planning on applying for the 2022 cycle. My heart tells me that I want to pursue the opportunity, but I don't know if it's intelligent to delay my cycle by a year (and by extent, my career plans by 2 years). I'm also worried I might "lose track" of medicine if I wait that year, apply with an unsuccessful cycle, and dig myself into a problem that I could have avoided by just applying now.

In another way, I'm also scared of the change. I lived at home + near my extended family for most of college (school was 30 minutes away; the university where I am considering working was actually my dream undergrad that I forwent due to high cost) and would have to move ... I guess the simultaneous uncertainty of my delayed career plans and being alone for the first time is making me nervous. I realize that I'll need to break that shell one day when/if I do matriculate, but still -- I've never anticipated a spontaneous change like this to my application plans. Part of me was secretly hoping I'd have a little bit more time with my family before I leave.

I guess I'm really just looking for any life advice / input. This is a great opportunity and I'm extremely grateful to have been offered it. I'm just wrestling with 1 question: are experiences like these worth delaying medical school plans? I'm open to any perspectives that might help me to navigate this situation.

Members don't see this ad.

If you’re interested in this job, I would take it but still apply if you think you are ready. You do not have an acceptance in hand to start in 2023 so you can in good conscience sign a 2 year contract. Plans change all the time in the real world.

If you get in but you are also really enjoying your research, you could also consider a deferral.

Reactions: 2 users