Suggestion DELETE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted961604

DELETE

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it might seem strange to make a whole post for this, but basically I just made a comment with the "straight-faced" emoji and noticed that the code for it is [colon]lame[colon]. I think it might be better to use :neutral: or something like that to avoid unintended ableist language.
Thanks for your suggestion. I've never noticed that before - good call. I will update it as soon as possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know it might seem strange to make a whole post for this, but basically I just made a comment with the "straight-faced" emoji and noticed that the code for it is [colon]lame[colon]. I think it might be better to use :neutral: or something like that to avoid unintended ableist language.
What is "ableist" language? I'm not familiar.

Reactions: 1 user
Tbh i wasn't aware of unintended meanings.

Not sure if :neutral: carries the same message as :lame: though. It could be :whatever: or :dull:

Okay/:rolleyes: reacting could also work. My $0.02

Reactions: 1 user
Basically language that denigrates or devalues people with disabilities. For example, calling something "lame" to describe it as "bad"/"uninspiring"/etc. involves making a negative value judgment of people who have difficulty walking due to physical impairment. (These people would have archaically been called "lame(d)", and that's where the more modern connotation of the term comes from.)
Oh I've never heard of that

I personally like the term "lame" for that emoji. Maybe other people are offended, but it doesn't seem to be in the common vernacular